Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Harvey Barnes

15 hours ago, MKinPeace said:

MK Dons supporter in peace.

Not here for any stimulating debates over the ethics of our club, just here to talk about Harvey Barnes who is on loan with us from yourselves.

What an impressive young player Harvey is. I've seen him play all of his games with us barring one, and I have no hesitation in saying that he is destined for great things. He is clearly a class above the majority of players at this level, and any time he has the ball at his feet he's very exciting to watch. Decent pace, skillful and has an eye for a pass. His biggest strength in my opinion is playing on either wing and cutting inside. I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen Harvey take on one or two defenders on the wing, beat them with pace or trickery and either have an attempt himself or lay the ball off for a team-mate. His first touch is excellent. I've watched him beat experienced League 1 defenders with ease. 

Went to our game v Port Vale yesterday and on two separate occasions Harvey beat two defenders by himself, once by driving past them with his pace and once with a neat bit of trickery to get between the two of them.

Would love for us to sign him permanently but don't think there's any chance of that. I'd go so far as to say, since signing on loan he has been our best player this season. Really hope he gets the chance he deserves with Leicester and becomes a regular - potentially a future England senior international.

Now we're talking!

If he really is this good it'll be a test to see what our path to the first team is like for youngsters. I think we've often flattered to deceive here really so I'd like to see him get some first team opportunities next year. Again, if he is as good as you're saying he is.

• Like 1

I thought he was one of the few that came out with anything positive individually from that dead rubber in Porto, in the circumstances coming on while getting smashed, an still looking confident on the ball, I was impressed with that little cameo.

• Like 1

Good to hear he's doing well, I could tell he has a lot of natural flair from watching clips of him in the U23s, wasn't surprised to see him included at Porto. MK Dons is a great club for him to be at in this stage of his career, good facilities and a decent record for developing youngsters. Hope to see him on loan at somewhere like Barnsley next season that plays attacking football.

Surprised he hasn't been capped at youth level yet.

Edited by Patrick

3 minutes ago, Patrick said:

Good to hear he's doing well, I could tell he has a lot of natural flair from watching clips of him in the U23s, wasn't surprised to see him included at Porto. MK Dons is a great club for him to be at in this stage of his career, good facilities and a decent record for developing youngsters. Hope to see him on loan at somewhere like Barnsley next season that plays attacking football.

Agreed, if he's a step above this season then next season he needs to be loaned to a team like Huddersfield if they are still in the championship or as you say Barnsley. 

Unless he's really progressed and shines here pre-season.

On 26/03/2017 at 11:23, dmayne7 said:

Great to hear. I guess my question for you would how does he stack up against that other kid you used to have? I forget his name but apparently he's ok...

Scored again today and played brilliantly as is the norm for Harvey now. Unbelievable to think he is only 19, he has a good footballing brain.

As for comparisons with a certain England international, too early to tell but he has a lot of qualities that Dele showed here - in the same way that Harvey looks a far more rounded and superior player than others with much more experience than him.

• Like 1

On 27 March 2017 at 23:30, Patrick said:

He was always very weak as a youngster but you could see there was great potential 

thankfully stood by him and are now reaping the rewards

perhaps not being capped and thinking you have arrived. might be a good thing long term

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ramadaone said:

He was always very weak as a youngster but you could see there was great potential 

thankfully stood by him and are now reaping the rewards

perhaps not being capped and thinking you have arrived. might be a good thing long term

Any idea what what our plans are for him next season?

... finally the lad has got a break, showing great promise in what are tough and uncompromising games .... lacking glamour doesn't equate to lack of sheer effort and determination to be a winner... this lad has got what it takes to hit the top flight ... good effort and best of luck to him

1 hour ago, kingston_fox said:

Good to hear that he is developing well. Thinking back to the past when we've had the likes of Kane, Keane etc at the club and they hadn't set the world alight, its good to know he is doing well.

Rarely playing Kane and then using him as a winger always baffled me. No wonder he was frustrated when he was here. 

I'm gutted we didn't sign Keane last summer. If the ITK's are correct about Claudio not thinking he was worth the 15-18 million or whatever it was, then I'm shocked. He will be playing for one of the big boys eventually. Hopefully we don't make the same mistake this summer and we stump up the cash for players who are clearly worth it. Gibson and Maguire would be two CB's I would be targeting. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MKinPeace said:

Scored again today and played brilliantly as is the norm for Harvey now. Unbelievable to think he is only 19, he has a good footballing brain.

As for comparisons with a certain England international, too early to tell but he has a lot of qualities that Dele showed here - in the same way that Harvey looks a far more rounded and superior player than others with much more experience than him.

I've only seen him play once against Porto and he looked our best player, but considering the shower of shite we were then, that wasn't difficult. Is he playing as an attacking midfielder for you guys? 

Our future squad is looking exciting. We just need to manage these youngsters well, and get the balance right. I fear, just like many other clubs, we aren't brave enough to back our youngsters and get them involved early. I wonder if Chilwell, Gray, Lawrence and Kaputska etc, will accept another season not being that involved and just a promise of opportunities in the future. I know we shouldn't ever jeopardize results, simply by bedding youngsters in, but I'd like us to show a little more faith than we have in the past and give them a run of games, rather than 1 and then drop them for 10-20 etc. It's difficult I understand, when stakes are so high, but it could really pay off in the long-run. 

59 minutes ago, sm1 said:

I've only seen him play once against Porto and he looked our best player, but considering the shower of shite we were then, that wasn't difficult. Is he playing as an attacking midfielder for you guys? 

He's played in several attacking midfield roles for us - mostly left wing, but has played right wing too and today played effectively as a central attacking midfielder for the first time. Really he can fit in anywhere in an attacking role behind a central striker. Personally, I think he's most effective as a left winger taking on defenders and cutting in, taking a shot or laying off to team mates - at this level he has been devastating certain teams - in particular against Peterborough and Northampton he had their full backs in his pocket the entire game. 

He's too good for us really. He will easily make the step up next season, whether that's with Leicester or on loan to a Championship team. I'll be keeping an eye on him for sure.