Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

11 hours ago, Wookie said:

"Yeah but he's ad loads a moneh, should win league" argument isn't great, Manchester United have spent comparable amounts but this Manchester City team are by the far the best the Premier league has seen, they'll break the points and scoring records. I think the most interesting thing about them is that you'd struggle to say they have one standout player. De Bruyne has been brilliant the season but Silva and Sane have been incredible too.

I don't get the argument because most/all big club managers spend money. Fegie was spending £20mill on the likes of Veron and Ferdinand 20 years ago. With inflation, nowadays I'm sure that equates to £50mill or whatever Pep has paid for players.

Pep is a superb coach and has proved it over again, this Manchester City side is one of the best teams I've ever seen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

I don't get the argument because most/all big club managers spend money. Fegie was spending £20mill on the likes of Veron and Ferdinand 20 years ago. With inflation, nowadays I'm sure that equates to £50mill or whatever Pep has paid for players.

Pep is a superb coach and has proved it over again, this Manchester City side is one of the best teams I've ever seen.

Agreed, yet I find them strangely boring.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, murphy said:

Agreed, yet I find them strangely boring.

Ah, it’s not just me then. I get bored watching their tiki talka game. Our home game against them was so boring second half as we just couldn’t get the ball off them!

5 minutes ago, NZ_Foxile said:

Ah, it’s not just me then. I get bored watching their tiki talka game. Our home game against them was so boring second half as we just couldn’t get the ball off them!

I think that's it.

Man City games are boring for the neutral as they just tippy tap around in the opponents half until they score then repeat for the rest of the game.

Even against the top sides there's rarely any end to end action.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

If you can't enjoy watching this current Man City team play football then you can't enjoy joy football. They're superb to watch imo 

Agree they are superb for maybe 10/15% of each game when they spring into action and tear opposition to threads...However there are large periods of all their games that are incredibly boring as they go through their tiki taka football...Unfortunately it’s not just them ...It’s prevalent in most Top matches these days...from internationals, Champions League Premiership etc.....There’s been lots of talk everywhere about flat atmospheres at most Premier League matches now and it’s down to this style of football....As I don’t get to many games now I rely on watching matches on TV  and have to be honest and say one of the most entertaining matches ( lets be honest we watch football for entertainment)  was the old fashioned blood and thunder Old Firm game last Sunday......Low on overall quality but played at phenomenal pace with loads of passion and tough tackling but non stop excitement which helped keep the fantastic atmosphere throughout. Guess I’m Od School in my preferences.....It’s why I enjoyed our 2015/16 campaign so much compared to our current style .

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, irishfoxkev said:

now and it’s down to this style of football

Not really, expectant crowds, gentrification, laziness, changing demographics, ticket prices are to blame - not the style of football.

Bayern played in a similar manner under Guradiola and weren't quiet.

15 hours ago, Wookie said:

"Yeah but he's ad loads a moneh, should win league" argument isn't great, Manchester United have spent comparable amounts but this Manchester City team are by the far the best the Premier league has seen, they'll break the points and scoring records. I think the most interesting thing about them is that you'd struggle to say they have one standout player. De Bruyne has been brilliant the season but Silva and Sane have been incredible too.

It is the style, for me, which puts all those "anyone can manage this lot" argument to bed. The likes of Pulis, Moyes, Dyche etc couldn't get Man City playing at this level and with this amount of flair. Of course he benefits from huge resources but, given every defeat is a crisis or whatever, the pressure is on to deliver.

I understand why some think the games are quite dull as they are so dominant but the goals last night were a joy to watch.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Samilktray said:

If you can't enjoy watching this current Man City team play football then you can't enjoy joy football. They're superb to watch imo 

Ditto. Sure, they slow the game down, knock the ball back and forth, back and forth, but then they'll just stick a sequence of quick passes together that'll have you thinking 'wtf' The speed with which they can go up a gear is amazing. Their movement is brilliant too, they've always got a pass on in some direction... if not two or three. I think it's a joy to watch even when they are tikka-takking. 

• Like 1

People overhyping man city. they are not that impressive. some people acting like Pep invented passing.

They just have more talent than anyone. They play some very good football but nowhere near teams like the 2008-2013 barca. Or not to look too far into the distance, napoli's playstyle in the first half of the season.

It's frustrating watching teams just mesmerized by simple triangle pattern passes.
I wish they get real madrid in the CL. Then people will see how big the difference actually is.

Edited by the fox

4 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

I think watching Man City is boring, not because their football isn’t top quality but because in pretty much every game they play it is a no contest. The only ponderable  is by how many they’ll win by. 

So it's the other teams that are boring really as they just aren't good enough.

25 minutes ago, the fox said:

People overhyping man city. they are not that impressive. some people acting like Pep invented passing.

They just have more talent than anyone. They play some very good football but nowhere near teams like the 2008-2013 barca. Or not to look too far into the distance, napoli's playstyle in the first half of the season.

It's frustrating watching teams just mesmerized by simple triangle pattern passes.
I wish they get real madrid in the CL. Then people will see how big the difference actually is.

You see that’s what I find more impressive; the talent. The attacking riches they have is mind boggling, especially when you consider the majority of the players are two footed, have pace and an eye for goal.  Their interchangeability reminds me when United had Ronaldo, Tevez and Rooney and rotated their positions constantly.

On the basis of the current season, even though Real Madrid have treated the Champions League with more intensity, I’d say this Madrid side is the weakest it’s been in a while. I reckon Guardiola will have s reasonable plan to deal with Real Madrid considering the team has barely changed since Guardiola has left La Liga.  Man City have more than a fair chance to beat Madrid this season.

@Samilktraylol really?

The PL is filled with fraudes! Everytime a manager gets a new style into the league, he wreaks havoc! Claudio in 2015-2016 and Conte in 2016-2017 are examples.
The barca team from the 2008-2013 period would wipe the floor with this man city team and real madrid will do the same. People Think man city has a midfield lol that barca midfield will outclass them with ease. Pep built his legacy on the shoulders of messi, xavi, iniesta and busquets and since then he underachieved everytime in the CL. He needs a top 3 player in the world to win the CL and he will come up short once again this season.

Yeah Man City are immense. I find it weird to imagine that if we played the sort of football they do we'd have people on here moaning about how boring to watch it is. Not sure how true this is in reality but I've always felt there's an unusual amount of opposition to possession-based football amongst our fan base.

With regards to the "yeah but they've spent loads", obviously they have but it's not as though they've gone out and just chucked money at world class players and stuck them in a team is it? People like Sterling, Jesus, Ederson, even De Bruyne were all pretty well regarded but not exactly proven world class talents. They identify promising, malleable and generally young players and they've got the money to bring them in

13 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

You see that’s what I find more impressive; the talent. The attacking riches they have is mind boggling, especially when you consider the majority of the players are two footed, have pace and an eye for goal.  Their interchangeability reminds me when United had Ronaldo, Tevez and Rooney and rotated their positions constantly.

On the basis of the current season, even though Real Madrid have treated the Champions League with more intensity, I’d say this Madrid side is the weakest it’s been in a while. I reckon Guardiola will have s reasonable plan to deal with Real Madrid considering the team has barely changed since Guardiola has left La Liga.  Man City have more than a fair chance to beat Madrid this season.

Think english people should know this best. Real Madrid has the pedigree that man united had in the time of SAF. Madrid feasts on the possession based sides. They have a better midfield and attack than man city and when time comes, Pep will fail again without a game winner like messi.