Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SemperEadem

May 2nd 2016

After leaving the Soar point I remember running to the ground just windmilling my arms in he middle of the road on Burnmoor jumping in front of cars just to scream at them lol 

I had been out to watch the United game the day before and I just thought it would go to the Everton game, so didn't bother going out.

Bought a day pass to Sky Sports and sat down to Lasagne and a couple of beers. At half time I was thinking that was a waste of £6.99!!

When Hazard scored I screamed so loud our two cats just bolted for the cat flap. Then spent the next ten minutes trying not to get too excited as I was sure Spurs would get the winner and prolong the agony.

The final whistle went and I just sat there crying flicking between , Sky Sports, News Channels, Radio Leicester, Radio 5, Talk Sport.

I was getting text messages from people down at the ground but having had a few beers I wasn't risking driving down, my one regret from the entire night.

Goosebumps just typing this.

Absolutely unbelievable!

Was anyone at the Stag's Head in London? Mayhem as Chelsea equalised and the full time whistle went, which was followed by free shots being passed around and Kasabian, Queen and Jersey Budd songs being played. Getting texts from people I hadn't spoken to in years.

Staggered on the train for work a few hours later wearing my city scarf (stained in red wine). Seeing the headline about Leicester on both the front and back page of the metro is something I won't forget.

image.png

Watched it at home, my wife was at work.  Went nuts when Hazard scored and was in a state when she got home.  But I wasn’t shocked even after 2-0.

Sorry, all I had ever seen was the Great Escape and the PL championship season.  Playing with house money.

OTOH, when the Cavaliers won game 7 against Golden State a month later, I was stunned almost motionless.  First Cleveland championship in my entire life here.

So I get what it means to you lifelong True Blues.  And a year later, I would rather see a Foxes second than Cavs.  What is the pull of this club!?

1 hour ago, KingsX said:

Watched it at home, my wife was at work.  Went nuts when Hazard scored and was in a state when she got home.  But I wasn’t shocked even after 2-0.

Sorry, all I had ever seen was the Great Escape and the PL championship season.  Playing with house money.

OTOH, when the Cavaliers won game 7 against Golden State a month later, I was stunned almost motionless.  First Cleveland championship in my entire life here.

So I get what it means to you lifelong True Blues.  And a year later, I would rather see a Foxes second than Cavs.  What is the pull of this club!?

Coz we is cccccrrrrraaaaazzzzzzyyyy  !!!!         But sort of nice in a weird way..:blush:

2 hours ago, andys said:

Was anyone at the Stag's Head in London? Mayhem as Chelsea equalised and the full time whistle went, which was followed by free shots being passed around and Kasabian, Queen and Jersey Budd songs being played. Getting texts from people I hadn't spoken to in years.

Staggered on the train for work a few hours later wearing my city scarf (stained in red wine). Seeing the headline about Leicester on both the front and back page of the metro is something I won't forget.

image.png

Yes mate, I would've been in Leicester but for the game being on a Monday night. That said I'm sure that this was the next best place to be. I'm glad I got to take in such an incredible moment & evening with other City fans.

I spent the afternoon in Leicester Square with a couple of Chelsea mates who were heading to the game that evening. When walking from there to the Stags Head near Great Portland Street, a road was fenced off stopping us from crossing. Suddenly a Chevvy Corvette drives past with David Hasselhoff hanging out the window. Hugely random but it was for the Gumball Rally, so dozens of very impressive cars were driving past. Usually I would've been happy to see all this but I was anxious to get through the crowds to get to the pub ASAP to watch the game!

Met a London based Leicester fan in the pub in time for kick off, someone I first met in 2008 after we'd lost a crucial match at home to Sheffield Wednesday, that 3-1 effectively saw us relegated to the lowest point in our history. We've since met up & watched games regularly. The game itself was similar to what most others have said, somewhat disappointing at 2-0 although really I wanted to see us win the league on the Saturday. When Cahill scored though, you could tell it had potential to be a great night. When Hazard made it 2-2 my head just went. It was pandemonium with people jumping around & hugging everywhere.

Once we'd done it, we went through a rendition of Leicester songs including When you're smiling. The free shots soon followed along with many Jagerbombs & beers. A few of us ended up at one blokes place in the middle of Abbey Road. It's a blur by this point but I'm sure we cracked out champagne, cigars & had a few complaints about the considerable noise coming from there at 2am.

I staggered back to where I was staying in Kings Cross, singing Leicester songs walking round Regents Park, etc. & bumped into a couple of Spurs fans on my way back who had been to the match & weren't keen on my champions chants.lol  Got into bed at 4am & needed to be in work for 11:00 in Basingstoke. Somehow I made it after waking up at nearly 9 & when I walked into the office people were clapping. That felt weird considering I've not actually done anything personally, but they know how much it means to me.

The following video was taken in the Stags Head for full time, the main part coming from 1:10 onwards:

This is one of those special occasions whereby everybody connected to the club probably remembers where they were and what they were doing this oh so memorable night!

I was driving back home to Devon just after the bank holiday after visiting my folks in Northants on the day of the Chelsea v Spurs debacle a year ago and stopped off halfway in the Wetherspoons in Stroud (Gloucestershire), so as to be in the right sort of environment (instead of being stuck in a car!), to time matters to be able to keep updated with my mobile phone and was getting ever more excited as the clock was ticking away towards 90 mins after Hazard's late equaliser for Chelski! After one for the road it then made the 150 remaining miles to do back to base more joyous with Radio 5 on!! I know a lot of fans were likely to be banking on the gold last fixture at home to Everton to be able to finish off the job and then win the title on that day instead had Spurs held onto their lead - which we of course did but safe in the knowledge that it was just one big party instead!

A year on yesterday then by fate I repeated the same journey and stop off task, only to celebrate staying up a year later, ha ha!

One of the overriding emotions at the final whistle was complete confusion.

I remember mumbling the words "I am going town" only to be asked where and I had no idea, walking round the house having no idea what was going on and what I needed to take with me. Surreal experience, this triggered undoubtedly the best 10 days of my life where I watched us life the trophy, then flew to New York to turn 30 and get married.

I was meant to be flying to NYC on the morning of the Everton match but obviously that didn't ****ing happen, made ma laugh as my time hop this morning included booking confirmation for another flight I had to book which cost a grand lol.

Being totally honest, I can't remember much about the actual day itself as was thinking about the game that evening. Can recall listening to TalkShite and their pundits though and how Spurs would win it to keep the pressure on. 

Had some offers to watch it down the pub but decided to stay in with a quiet couple of beers and at h-t 2-0 down, thought it was the right decision.

Then when Cahill scored, I suddenly thought this might be it. My roar as Hazard scored had my neighbour banging on the wall! But when the whistle went, and I repeated it even louder, I think he guessed what had happened, so no more bangs!

Texts started flying in and I poured myself a very large Macallan Quarter Cask and channel hopped to soak up every item of  related news I could.

4 hours ago, Basingstoke Fox said:

Yes mate, I would've been in Leicester but for the game being on a Monday night. That said I'm sure that this was the next best place to be. I'm glad I got to take in such an incredible moment & evening with other City fans.

I spent the afternoon in Leicester Square with a couple of Chelsea mates who were heading to the game that evening. When walking from there to the Stags Head near Great Portland Street, a road was fenced off stopping us from crossing. Suddenly a Chevvy Corvette drives past with David Hasselhoff hanging out the window. Hugely random but it was for the Gumball Rally, so dozens of very impressive cars were driving past. Usually I would've been happy to see all this but I was anxious to get through the crowds to get to the pub ASAP to watch the game!

Met a London based Leicester fan in the pub in time for kick off, someone I first met in 2008 after we'd lost a crucial match at home to Sheffield Wednesday, that 3-1 effectively saw us relegated to the lowest point in our history. We've since met up & watched games regularly. The game itself was similar to what most others have said, somewhat disappointing at 2-0 although really I wanted to see us win the league on the Saturday. When Cahill scored though, you could tell it had potential to be a great night. When Hazard made it 2-2 my head just went. It was pandemonium with people jumping around & hugging everywhere.

Once we'd done it, we went through a rendition of Leicester songs including When you're smiling. The free shots soon followed along with many Jagerbombs & beers. A few of us ended up at one blokes place in the middle of Abbey Road. It's a blur by this point but I'm sure we cracked out champagne, cigars & had a few complaints about the considerable noise coming from there at 2am.

I staggered back to where I was staying in Kings Cross, singing Leicester songs walking round Regents Park, etc. & bumped into a couple of Spurs fans on my way back who had been to the match & weren't keen on my champions chants.lol  Got into bed at 4am & needed to be in work for 11:00 in Basingstoke. Somehow I made it after waking up at nearly 9 & when I walked into the office people were clapping. That felt weird considering I've not actually done anything personally, but they know how much it means to me.

The following video was taken in the Stags Head for full time, the main part coming from 1:10 onwards:

Brilliant video. I'm somewhere at the back, hugging someone I hadn't met before - who later recognised me on the train to Leicester on the morning of the Everton match. I've spent many a good night in the Stags Head (the champions league away games have been brilliant).

Later that evening I got my first ever Uber and accidentally clicked the Pool feature. The driver picked up a guy who turned out to be a Chelsea fan on his way back from the game, we had a great laugh talking about Spurs. 

Watched it at home. At 2-0 I must admit I couldnt see a way back. Then Hazard scores and its mayhem. Ended the night in tears having waited 35 years to see us as champions. 

I went up to vardys house before the match to see the players arriving, then went home to watch the match at home with a few beers, wish I'd stayed up there for the impromptu street party but made up for it at the Everton game

Went back to the Soar point tonight, met up with a few mates but it wasn't quite the same as last year. I'd do almost anything to relive that feeling of seeing the league table for the first time again.

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

Exactly one year ago at this exact minute I was bouncing round the fvcking room screaming my head off. 

Still makes me smile.

It will forever make you smile. Just the thought of you smiling at this historic achievement (and I don't know you at all) makes me smile. And I'm already smiling.

9 hours ago, daz*dsb said:

This video says it all really. What a night for the city.

That's such a good video. Captures the carefree attitude of the celebrations that I remember. The city was turned up to maximum party-mode, everyone was your best friend, it was glorious.

I ended up watching it alone at home in my house in London. I'd toyed with the idea of going to a pub but I didn't know any other Leicester fans who were around in London and my dad was up in Blackpool staying with family after the United game. If I wasn't watching it with him then watching it in peace alone seemed the best option.

Next decision was whether to drink, and whether or not to buy in some champagne, and I made a late call (within the 15 minutes prior to kick off) to do so. I can remember to this day standing in Sainsbury's a little torn in not wanting to tempt fate but also not wanting to not have anything in if we did win it.

It gets forgotten how good Spurs looked in that first half given the magnitude of what was at stake. At half time, I'm resigned to us needing something from the Everton match which doesn't sit well with the pessimist Leicester fan within me - particularly as we'd be without Drinkwater. We'd seen, thanks to Jon Moss, how just one bad referee or poor call could undermine everything and the prospect of needing anything at Stamford Bridge made me queasy.

I'd posted a photo online of my little set up in my room with the beer and the champagne and at half time there were a couple of comments telling me to put the champers back in the fridge. I wasn't going to respond until full time. Just in case - he who laughs last and all that...

2-1. Instant feeling that Chelsea could do this. Texts are going back and forth between me and my dad dissecting the game and the belief is back. If Chelsea can just...

Then it happens. Hazard. 2-2. I never normally cheer that loudly when watching Leicester on tv, never mind any other team, but I shocked myself with the roar that escaped from me when that goal hit the net. "Is this really happening?"

The rest of the game is a bit of a nervous blur. Whilst the run in was magical and exciting, at times it was scary as hell. I didn't know how I could ever recover if Leicester had blown it and those final few minutes at Stamford Bridge were the culmination of that fear. To be so close and for it to not happen was a petrifying prospect. The heart should have been used to it by now, but it was racing.

I'd cottoned on to the fact that BBC Radio Leicester's commentary was slightly ahead of Sky so watched the final moments with their audio describing the action a few seconds prior to what I saw on my screen. It felt more authentic to me than Sky's eulogising.

Full time was relief, euphoria, joy, surrealness.

My phone rang - it was my dad and we shared in the climax of the most incredible story we could ever have possibly imagined. It was only when I came off that call that it hit me; the lows we'd experienced, the pressure of the previous few weeks relented, the fact that me and my dad had witnessed first-hand the greatest of sports stories. That was what this was all about.

At that point I balled my eyes out. I couldn't explain why, I had never cried happy tears before but I was a wreck for a good while.

Onto Facebook, Foxestalk and Twitter to savour the reaction. It's times like those that the connectivity of the modern world is a blessing. I might have been alone in my room at home, but I could share in the joy of fellow Foxes across the globe.

Radio Leicester did a great job in covering the scenes in Leicester and the rest of the night was spent listening to that interspersed with 'We Are The Champions' and a couple of songs that were steeped in nostalgia and synonymous with Leicester success for me; 'The Best' and 'Rocking All Over The World'. I just sat, in a chair, listening to that and reflecting on everything.

I don't remember going to bed. There was sick in the sink when I woke for work the next day. I'd drunk every bit of drink in the house. It was the greatest one-man party ever.

We'll all take that day to the grave.

On 01/05/2017 at 12:35, Wookie said:

I was watching it at the Soar Point with a few mates, it was quite busy but not completely rammed as you'd expect. When Spurs were 2-0 up at half time @The soup nazi went home hahaha and the sense of disappointment was palpable. The overriding feeling was that we'll just have to do it against Everton on Sunday but then Cahill pulled one back and the hope and excitement came flooding back. 

I had a look at Skybet as I fancied Hazard to score next almost as if it was a calling or something, unfortunately I only put £1.50 on it but it returned about £25 anyway :D

As Hazard received the ball after some nice link up play and swung it in to the top corner I completely lost it, I just jumped up and down all the way through the Soar point, saw Matt Reeves and Dave Rennie and I jumped on them and hugged them too, as carnage ensued everywhere else.

Finally, it settled down just a tad and the whistle went, they immediately showed the table after the game and there it was, in gold,

"C 1. Leicester City"

and that's the best feeling I've ever experienced, euphoria, joy, relief and whatever else. Thank you Leicester and thank you Dad for getting me to support us.

lol only just just read this.

It was a weird night really. I've never liked watching football in a pub. It's not something I grew up doing so maybe it was an omen for me to bail.

Before live football on the box it was all about radio so it was fitting for me to go home and listen on 5 live. I could've been sitting with my old man when Chelsea scored as we always used to go mental together listening all those years ago.

On 02/05/2017 at 13:34, Hollism said:

I was in an Irish bar in Monaco for the Chelsea-Spurs game. I was the only City fan, and there were a couple of Spurs fans, and a big group of Chelsea fans. At full time I fell to my knees and got piled on by half the bar. Still got my copy of L'Equipe from the next day as well lol

"Jolie a la rue de Leicester" I think with photos from the Market Tavern on the front page!

Just seen this on my Facebook memories thing:

IMG_2491.JPG

On 5/1/2017 at 17:27, EGBFitness said:

Day of the spurs Chelsea game drove from Miami to Orlando in about 2 and half hours, pulled up at a McDonald's for free wifi on international drive, went mental as watched last 10 mins and then drove up and down international drive with roof down, shirts on papping hooter/cheering at everyone in sight lol 

Crazy, we stayed behind the McD's I suspect you're talking about!! We were at King's. The weather was absolutely appalling later on - I've got video of the storm. What a coincidence.

13 hours ago, Spacey_Fox said:

Crazy, we stayed behind the McD's I suspect you're talking about!! We were at King's. The weather was absolutely appalling later on - I've got video of the storm. What a coincidence.

The worlds biggest one they brand it as lol haha really, we stayed over the road to it. 

Ah decent, we watched it at an Irish bar called Murpheys. 

Yeah weather was ridiculous, wasn't bothered in the slightest though celebrating :yahoo:

After an incredible and emotional season - mostly watched on a bad stream in Denmark the girlfriend was with me for the Monday. She is not really into football (she is German so excused) but was was well aware of the magnitude of the season and the importance of a match that did not include Leicester....

Followed City since mid 60´ies I had never ever expected something like this to happen and when Hazard scored I just went mental. Screaming, shouting, crying and feeling immensely proud and lucky to experience this. Only the 5-6 big teams - and now City - had done this in the PL before and I suddenly realised how lucky I was experiencing this. The Moet was cracked open and is now my "pic" here.

Phone calls, txts, email came flooding in from friends, family and business associates form all over the world and the night was used picking up info from here, news sites and just taking it all in in a blur of champagne and vodka. Would have given my right arm to be in Leicester again on that incredible evening.

Saturday against Everton was just sooooo emotional and I have not been more proud being a City supporter. Will live of this memory forever whatever happens. This cannot be taken away from any of us. And after all the bad times we went through the sweeter the victory.

Leicester till I die!

Archived