Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Manchester Arena blast

13 minutes ago, Rincewind said:

So how are people brainwashed? Do they go up to someone and ask if they want to be a suicide bomber?

By more than computer games, as scarily there would be millions more terrorists out there if computer games had a heavy influence on peoples lives. 16 or 17 hours of gaming just increases obesity and heart disease not terror related crimes. 

As an aside, I know of a murder case where the murderer used a certain computer game as an excuse when he carried out such a cowardly act. Just a pathetic excuse. Just like those who plead insanity when they clearly aren't.

20 minutes ago, Rincewind said:

So how are people brainwashed? Do they go up to someone and ask if they want to be a suicide bomber?

Religion, of any form, not just Islam (Before anyone starts). I've raised the point before, my goddaughter, goes to a catholic school, she's being brainwashed, told lies, that as a kid she believes, a watered down, non violent form granted but she's still being brainwashed and believing lies.

Thoughts are with those effected.

16 minutes ago, Rincewind said:

I don't really know how a normal functioning human turns into a terrorist, but I bet it is easy to brainwash someone that has issues with depression, drugs, bullying etc. This is why prisons are breeding grounds and it is common you find terrorists with criminal records or described as "party animals" by their ex-friends. I'm guessing if you're a troubled muslim in prison these extremists will seek you out and slowly drag you in. 

If you're not in prison you can find ISIS propaganda pretty easily on the internet if you wanted to and there are Twitter recruiters that actively seek out young people that seem easy targets. 

7 minutes ago, leicesterlad1989 said:

By more than computer games, as scarily there would be millions more terrorists out there if computer games had a heavy influence on peoples lives. 16 or 17 hours of gaming just increases obesity and heart disease not terror related crimes. 

As an aside, I know of a murder case where the murderer used a certain computer game as an excuse when he carried out such a cowardly act. Just a pathetic excuse. Just like those who plead insanity when they clearly aren't.

Just to point out that video games don't increase obesity or heart disease.

Sitting about, doing sod all is what does that.

Like sitting at your office desk or sitting watching TV.

1 minute ago, leicesterlad1989 said:

I take your point but I was using it as one factor amongst many posible one that are used when a person is selected for grooming. If a person's mind is unbalanced to start with who knows? 

I heard that the army do not want to recruit people that actually want to kill people. How true that is I don't know but can understand the reasoning. 

1 minute ago, Rincewind said:

I take your point but I was using it as one factor amongst many posible one that are used when a person is selected for grooming. If a person's mind is unbalanced to start with who knows? 

I heard that the army do not want to recruit people that actually want to kill people. How true that is I don't know but can understand the reasoning. 

I presume the army wants to recruit people who are disciplined, can stay cool under pressure and a variety of other skills and traits which are either already "in" the person or can be trained. "wanting to kill people" is not likley to get you past the first interview I would think (in any job!)lol

Just now, AKCJ said:

Just to point out that video games don't increase obesity or heart disease.

Sitting about, doing sod all is what does that.

Like sitting at your office desk or sitting watching TV.

Doesn't gaming and sitting down both come hand in hand? When I play on my PS4, which is rare these days, I sit down. Just the same as watching TV for 16 hours a day would be associated to sitting down also. I was fully aware that a Playstation doesn't make you fat :thumbup:

3 minutes ago, Rincewind said:

It's always possible for it to be a factor but I wouldn't necessarily say it's one of the main contributing factors of grooming or terrorism. The fact someone is unbalanced to start with would be the main factor, I'd imagine.

3 minutes ago, leicesterlad1989 said:

Doesn't gaming and sitting down both come hand in hand? When I play on my PS4, which is rare these days, I sit down. Just the same as watching TV for 16 hours a day would be associated to sitting down also. I was fully aware that a Playstation doesn't make you fat :thumbup:

Yeah but I'm just saying that the video games themselves aren't giving people heart disease :) 

As heartless as it might seem, the best thing that can be done is to ignore it ... (ignore isn't really the right word but I can't think of another). The relentless 24 hour coverage of the event, where in reality little new information is forthcoming - by which I mean that something new usually comes to light every 2-3 hours, not every 2-3 minutes - the mass public displays of grief, sometimes by many people who have no connection to those immediately affected. The whole, "I have a 10 year old daughter; it could have been her!" It wasn't and the vastly overwhelming chance is it never will be. 

All of this is exactly what the terrorists want, whatever their cause or belief. Keep the news down to bulletins when something new and relevant is known. Starve them of publicity. Don't go wailing in the street for people you don't know, because while we will be all upset by this, those truly affected will have the support of their families, friends and neighbours. Don't give them the impression that we are all in emotional turmoil because of their actions. Don't go thinking what could have happened; it didn't, so be glad of that, enjoy your life and show them you're not afraid.

I honestly think that modern Western media plays right into their hands, as does the growing idea that, 'if you don't wear this armband or come to the memorial or tweet your disgust, then you don't care!' We can see it as community supporting one another, they see it as points scored.

When I first saw the news this morning my heart sank but since then I've felt weirdly detached about it all.

It's beyond your worst imaginings and I'm wondering if there's something in my brain that's stopping me from processing it as some sort of defence mechanism. I'm really hoping I've not just become hardened to bad stuff happening

6 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

When I first saw the news this morning my heart sank but since then I've felt weirdly detached about it all.

It's beyond your worst imaginings and I'm wondering if there's something in my brain that's stopping me from processing it as some sort of defence mechanism. I'm really hoping I've not just become hardened to bad stuff happening

I thought that... until I saw this....

8 year old Saffie Roussos who went to the concert with her older sister but will never come home

SWNS_TERROR_MISSING_02.jpg

11 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

As heartless as it might seem, the best thing that can be done is to ignore it ... (ignore isn't really the right word but I can't think of another). The relentless 24 hour coverage of the event, where in reality little new information is forthcoming - by which I mean that something new usually comes to light every 2-3 hours, not every 2-3 minutes - the mass public displays of grief, sometimes by many people who have no connection to those immediately affected. The whole, "I have a 10 year old daughter; it could have been her!" It wasn't and the vastly overwhelming chance is it never will be. 

All of this is exactly what the terrorists want, whatever their cause or belief. Keep the news down to bulletins when something new and relevant is known. Starve them of publicity. Don't go wailing in the street for people you don't know, because while we will be all upset by this, those truly affected will have the support of their families, friends and neighbours. Don't give them the impression that we are all in emotional turmoil because of their actions. Don't go thinking what could have happened; it didn't, so be glad of that, enjoy your life and show them you're not afraid.

I honestly think that modern Western media plays right into their hands, as does the growing idea that, 'if you don't wear this armband or come to the memorial or tweet your disgust, then you don't care!' We can see it as community supporting one another, they see it as points scored.

I don't think it matters what they think to be honest.  We should do exactly what we like, **** them.  Almost as nice as me my arse :)

32 minutes ago, Rincewind said:

It may be a small factor but since so many mentally healthy and emotionally stable people play violent computer games it would be very hard to differentiate. Playing such games does not guarantee they are isolated from their peers and community and are as such emotionally vulnerable and therefore open to being taken under a "friends"'s wing and influenced towards a particular end. We don't know if this man was influenced directly or indirectly or simply mentally unstable though.

Yes I see that. Maybe it's because I am opposed to violence to start with. I do not see the point or what joy can be got from these shoot and kill games. I am also rubbish at them. I have played GTA and never lasted long and crashed all the time. Never played COD. No danger of it taking me over I may get bored of it quick.

I rang blood donors earlier today to try and cancel my appointment . After being on hold for 10 minutes they finally answered and told me they couldn't cancel my appointment because the system was down because that many people had been ringing following what happened in Manchester. I assume people have been ringing to offer blood.

12 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I rang blood donors earlier today to try and cancel my appointment . After being on hold for 10 minutes they finally answered and told me they couldn't cancel my appointment because the system was down because that many people had been ringing following what happened in Manchester. I assume people have been ringing to offer blood.

manchester-blood-donation.jpg

Scene at a donor centre in Manchester earlier today.

35 minutes ago, Rincewind said:

Yes I see that. Maybe it's because I am opposed to violence to start with. I do not see the point or what joy can be got from these shoot and kill games. I am also rubbish at them. I have played GTA and never lasted long and crashed all the time. Never played COD. No danger of it taking me over I may get bored of it quick.

I know what you mean for what it's worth. I'm not a fan. I just worry people are looking at one of the symptoms rather than the cause. I loved playing soldiers, cops and robbers, cowboys and indians and various war space games - all without any real relation to their implications. There's probably something evolutionarily beneficial of having this tendency when your life is generally being attacked by other animals, yet less so in societies where protection is outsourced to a relatively small group. And there were undoubtedly those who played those games but were a little /too/ enthusiastic and who use them to imagine real life versions and wish for them to happen including the death involved. But I would guess the reason for the second group lies elsewhere than the games themselves.

3 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Amongst all the tragedy and wall to wall media coverage and closet facebook racists, it is very important to remember how many good people there are. 

https://www.gofundme.com/3dgkuj-help-chris-parker

http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/23/fundraiser-started-for-homeless-man-who-held-dying-woman-in-manchester-attack-6655996/

Homeless man who went to the aid of the dying and injured has had a GoFundMe page set up by a well wisher and is already over 4K. And in a twist, on the comments on the gofundme page, the guy's mother is also trying to contact her estranged son. 

Archived