Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stinkenzo

The OH Leuven Thread

I believe Pearson is not a premier league manager.  That’s just my opinion.

But as a league one and championship manager he’s clearly proved himself.  I cannot believe that the Belgium lower leagues are too much for him.  His bad run is something of an expected thing.  It happens to all managers. 

7 hours ago, Sionnach gorm said:

I believe Pearson is not a premier league manager.  That’s just my opinion.

But as a league one and championship manager he’s clearly proved himself.  I cannot believe that the Belgium lower leagues are too much for him.  His bad run is something of an expected thing.  It happens to all managers. 

Must be very different managing abroad though. Language issues, off your patch, etc.

• Like 1

I personally love the man, I just think he struggles to handle the pressure of being a modern day manager.  I’ll never forget the fantastic squad he and Steve Walsh built here for next to nothing! Without him we could be doing a Forest and Derby and festering in the championship for a decade or more!

On 25/09/2018 at 14:18, inckley fox said:

You don't erupt against a manager and owners in the 3rd game of a season, three points off top (after they turned you around a year earlier) under normal circumstances, because if you do you're going to seriously damage your side's chances of success, especially at such a small club where the fan-staff connection is so intimate.

On 25/09/2018 at 02:29, inckley fox said:

As for Leuven, it's very odd when a fanbase turns on a manager who'd taken them from bottom but one to top but one, only three games into a season when they were just 3 points off top.

Maybe if you repeat this a few more times, it will be magically become true. Sorry that i didn't quote the other times you claimed this.

On 25/09/2018 at 15:51, Lambert09 said:

Unfortunately @Lizhang this isnt the place youre going to get extra nails for his coffin (or a reasonable debate)

Not searching for the nails in his coffin here. I just don't agree with the people here, claiming the sun is shining out of his ass. That we should ignore the writing on the wall since he first came. That we should ignore the attrocious football he plays, with one of two most expensive sides in our league. That we should ignore the downfall (as predicted last month) in the rankings. But surely, this is just a coincidence, the fact that we are now dead last, and the fact that i had already seen this coming weeks ago. (Because obviously, people here, not watching our games, have a better understanding of what's happening in Leuven, than people that watch every game).

Edited by Lizhang
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Lizhang said:

Maybe if you repeat this a few more times, it will be magically become true. Sorry that i didn't quote the other times you claimed this.

Hey? You were bottom but one in the closing tournament of 2016/17 and in the overall table. You were top but one in the overall table last year (and in the opening phase, thanks to the huge upturn in form when Pearson took over). I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with this.

The only thing I can think of is that you're looking at your league position in the early weeks of the season, before he took charge, as proof that you've gone significantly backwards since then. If you think a league table after five or six games is a good guide, then I suppose you could say that your league position at the precise time of his arrival wasn't bottom but one, but if I recall it was still in the relegation play-off positions.

You know full well that the upturn in form which took you away from a relegation battle (which is where you'd been the year before) and into a promotion battle was under Pearson.

Nigel Pearson has received the backing of Leicester City vice chairman Aiyawatt ‘Top’ Srivaddhanaprabha amid fan protests at King Power-owned OH Leuven.

Pearson’s side, City's sister club, sit bottom of the Belgian second tier ahead of their clash with Union Saint-Gilloise on Sunday.

Last weekend, fans protested and called for Pearson’s head, but Top, who is also vice chairman at Leuven, has asked for patience from supporters as the former Cityboss “builds a team for the long term”. 

In a message on Leuven’s website, Top wrote: “We are now halfway through the first period of this season and we have to admit that our position in the table is not a reflection of the ambition we had for the club.

“Yet only seven games have been played. The competition formula of the Proximus League ensures that this small number of matches already has a lot of influence on the first period, but seven matches is nothing in the larger development of a team.

“We invested in excellent players, but heavy investments do not guarantee that players quickly integrate into the team. Such cohesion takes time and patience, especially with young players.

“Nigel, our manager, has an excellent reputation for building teams that can perform in the long term. This process takes time, but builds characters.

Leicester City vice chairman Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha with his dad, chairman Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha, at the King Power Stadium (Image: Plumb Images/Leicester City FC via Getty Images)

“We want to be promoted as soon as possible (to the top flight), but this should not be done in haste so that our progress is sustainable and lasting.

“There are shortcuts to achieve success, but these are detrimental for the long term and this long term has always been the goal.

4 minutes ago, davieG said:

Nigel Pearson has received the backing of Leicester City vice chairman Aiyawatt ‘Top’ Srivaddhanaprabha amid fan protests at King Power-owned OH Leuven.

Pearson’s side, City's sister club, sit bottom of the Belgian second tier ahead of their clash with Union Saint-Gilloise on Sunday.

Last weekend, fans protested and called for Pearson’s head, but Top, who is also vice chairman at Leuven, has asked for patience from supporters as the former Cityboss “builds a team for the long term”. 

In a message on Leuven’s website, Top wrote: “We are now halfway through the first period of this season and we have to admit that our position in the table is not a reflection of the ambition we had for the club.

“Yet only seven games have been played. The competition formula of the Proximus League ensures that this small number of matches already has a lot of influence on the first period, but seven matches is nothing in the larger development of a team.

“We invested in excellent players, but heavy investments do not guarantee that players quickly integrate into the team. Such cohesion takes time and patience, especially with young players.

“Nigel, our manager, has an excellent reputation for building teams that can perform in the long term. This process takes time, but builds characters.

Leicester City vice chairman Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha with his dad, chairman Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha, at the King Power Stadium (Image: Plumb Images/Leicester City FC via Getty Images)

“We want to be promoted as soon as possible (to the top flight), but this should not be done in haste so that our progress is sustainable and lasting.

“There are shortcuts to achieve success, but these are detrimental for the long term and this long term has always been the goal.

The last line is so telling. They have seen exactly the same thing happen at Leicester. When they tried to shortcut promotion it didn't work. All of our success have come from long term planning and sticking to the plan. It's in fact starting to take shape again for Leicester.

I can totally appreciate the Leuven fans frustration, but they have very good owners! They will get it right in time.

7 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

He's ruining George Hirst

Or maybe he's just not all that good yet. That year in the wilderness with Wednesday won't have helped.

My gut feeling is that it's going to be very tough for NP to turn it around at OHL. If not everyone is pulling in the same direction, which is apparently the case not only with a huge section of the fans (more than back in January 2015 at Leicester) but also - according to our Belgian friends on here - some members of staff, then it'll be tough. And he's had a vote of confidence, coupled with another devastating defeat.

There's clearly a very strong feeling against not only him but also King Power, and the new players. I didn't agree with most of the arguments against them, back when results were good, and it's very likely that the pessimism at a time when there should have been a great deal more optimism had something to do with this collapse in form. Alternatively, you could argue that - rather than needing to take a long hard look at themselves - the fans, and unhappy staff members, saw beyond results and realised that all was not well. 

Either way, the game's history is littered with examples of such strong ill-feeling proving fatal. It's a shame for everyone involved, not only NP, but if I were him and I wanted to continue to work in the game I'd be looking for a dignified way out. If he could reunite the old dream team, there'll be second or third tier clubs willing to take a gamble somewhere down the line.

It's also very possible that, after Leicester and Derby, he lost the fire in his stomach. He said it was by no means a given that he'd come back to the game, and seemed suspiciously chirpy throughout those first months at Leuven. Perhaps he needed to take the club's problems more seriously. Then again, he's always had it within him to go through horrendous patches of poor form and fall-outs with staff that leave fans baying for his blood. I wouldn't rule him out.

On 25/09/2018 at 12:46, Babylon said:

"Tactically clueless" and wins a league with one of the biggest points totals ever seen. It's certainly not his strong point, but to suggest he's clueless about anything with what he's done here is laughable.

Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 12.43.53.png

Christ, completely forgot Derby were 3rd that season.