Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stinkenzo

The OH Leuven Thread

Foxile, What have any any of the people lambasted on here done to the people slating them ?  but calling us delusional, the foad, spitting the dummy and buggering off to Dull, the ostrich clap trap spring to mind for me.

Edited by mad biker
spelling error

5 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

I honestly think people who claim Pearson would have won the league are devaluing what we achieved. It makes it sound like it was easy, that anyone could have done it with our squad. It truly is a laughable idea. Yes he put the foundations in place but in a game of fine margins the slightest change of approach and we may have not even finished in the top half of the table. 

Claudio absolutely bossed it, both are legends... end of the argument really.

This is a great synopsis which sum it up perfectly for me.

7 hours ago, Lizhang said:

I am 200% convinced, that had Pearson stayed at Leicester, that he would not have won the league. I'm sure he played his role in forming the team, the spirit, the atmosphere, but frankly the guy is a bit clueless when it comes to tactics and strategy. We've had managers like this in the past as well (Van Geneugden comes to mind). All about team spirit, mentality, effort... and this can work for a team that can afford to sit back and wait it out, a team for which every point is golden, or when the opposition isn't really talented. But as soon the other team is on par and when you can't afford to sit back, but have to take control of the game, it all starts to crumble, it comes tumbling down into a chaotic mess. Nobody knows what to do and you get caught with your pants down.

It wasn't Ranieri who wanted to push teams out to the wings, have our centre backs to muscle in on the inwards cross then quickly counter attack. Ranieri initially wanted to change the entire approach. I agree Pearson isn't a tactical genius but his tactics did play a huge role.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mad biker said:

Foxile, What have any any of the people lambasted on here done to the people slating them ?  but calling us delusional, the foad, spitting the dummy and buggering off to Dull, the ostrich clap trap spring to mind for me.

First, you were irritated by him telling our fans not to be so delusional a few years after rescuing us from our lowest ever moment and a year before winning our first promotion to the EPL in ten years, then keeping us up and assembling a side which would win the most exceptional title of the past 40 odd years in pretty much any sport. Our best ever side.

Next, you were irritated by him telling a fan to 'foad' a few more years after rescuing us from our lowest ever moment, a few months after winning our first promotion to the EPL in years, and in the process of keeping us up and assembling a side which would win the most exceptional title of the past 40 odd years.

After that, you were also irritated by him leaving for Hull (suspecting he was about to be fired), a year after rescuing us from our lowest ever moment, a few years before winning our first promotion to the EPL in years, then keeping us up and assembling a side which would win the most exceptional title...

Come on. Anyone who can turn a third tier side at the worst moment in their history, who'd finished lower each season than the season before for five years, into one of the most in-form Premier League sides, with a team which - at a tenth of the cost of its rivals' sides - would win the Premier League under the next boss a year later, has got to be alright. It's not as if our history is awash with such achievements.

As for Leuven, it's very odd when a fanbase turns on a manager who'd taken them from bottom but one to top but one, only three games into a season when they were just 3 points off top. Five of their last six managers have gone the same way. Their fans don't want King Power, or foreign managers. Pearson says that people inside the club, allied to the old owners (which is the case with several coaches and board members), are making his life impossible. It's possible he's chanced upon one of the few chalices which is more poisoned than 'successor to Paul Clement'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

I honestly think people who claim Pearson would have won the league are devaluing what we achieved. It makes it sound like it was easy, that anyone could have done it with our squad. It truly is a laughable idea. Yes he put the foundations in place but in a game of fine margins the slightest change of approach and we may have not even finished in the top half of the table. 

it was pretty easy and anyone could’ve done it after pearson had done all the hard work tbf 

Of course you can argue about OH Leuven's performances on the pitch right now, but I find it rather irritating that fans of a Belgian second tier club are so up in arms about a bad spell when the season has just started - with only eight teams in the division and four encounters with each one of them, there's still a massive amount of games in which a club like Leuven can turn it around.

What is it - seven points to first place and 21 games still to go? Besides, the second half allows teams to pretty much start anew and Leuven can finish first there, too.

Judge Pearson by the end of the regular season or if he's failed in the Europa League qualifiers again, and not now.

16 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

Especially given how we bombed the following season. This wasn't a squad of players that were destined to be successful, but it was a culmination of things. Nobody will ever truly know the key ingredient that led to it but anyone who got us to the position to even be in with a shot of it deserve praise and Pearson gets that. On a sliding scale though Ranieri pisses all over Pearson because he got this team to do what no other underdog in team sport has done over a prolonged period. The mentality and ability to deal with the pressure was astounding.

lol lol some of the comments in here are beyond a joke. Jan Feb 2015 Pearson was a clueless muppet to 95% on here and wanted him gone. 99% said we are already relegated and need to start and build for a promotion push. 

Then after 9 games he's the greatest manager ever. But no mention of the previous 20 shite games. 

We've had fans on here telling OHL fans they are wrong and NP will come good. Pretty rich coming from people that wanted him sacked for months lol lol Then yes he built the squad and the attitude I'll give him that. But the tactical idiot that kept us bottom for 18 weeks would have won us the Prem lol lol

Oh we have still not factored in is the genius of Cambiasso for setting us up so we didn't get relegated in the first place. 

Would someone like to remind us what the jigsaw puzzle that was NP Shakey and Walsh has done since it fell apart. Oh yes all have been sacked. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Especially given how we bombed the following season. This wasn't a squad of players that were destined to be successful, but it was a culmination of things. Nobody will ever truly know the key ingredient that led to it but anyone who got us to the position to even be in with a shot of it deserve praise and Pearson gets that. On a sliding scale though Ranieri pisses all over Pearson because he got this team to do what no other underdog in team sport has done over a prolonged period. The mentality and ability to deal with the pressure was astounding.

Leicester-City-training.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah that's about the long and short of it haha

I know people say he was a great player for us but he was the difference between a win and a draw or a draw and a defeat in basically every game. Absolutely incredible player that gave us an extra man in defence, midfield and attack.

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

Leicester-City-training.jpg

I think that’s the media narrative. Kante won us the league. 

Truth be told what won us the league was years of building the foundations, team spirit, a great man manager, a certain style of play and everyone performing at their maximum every week.

Yes we had 3 world class players (Mahrez, Kante, Vardy) which every title winning side needs.. But to put it down to one player devalues the achievements of our other legends.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

It's a pointless argument anyway as it's impossible to be right or wrong as we'll never know. But Pearson won two leagues and kept us up when people said he wasn't capable of many of those things, so it doesn't surprise me so many want to write him off as they always did.

They all played their part and that should be the end of it.

1 hour ago, sylofox said:

lol lol some of the comments in here are beyond a joke. Jan Feb 2015 Pearson was a clueless muppet to 95% on here and wanted him gone. 99% said we are already relegated and need to start and build for a promotion push. 

Then after 9 games he's the greatest manager ever. But no mention of the previous 20 shite games. 

We've had fans on here telling OHL fans they are wrong and NP will come good. Pretty rich coming from people that wanted him sacked for months lol lol Then yes he built the squad and the attitude I'll give him that. But the tactical idiot that kept us bottom for 18 weeks would have won us the Prem lol lol

Oh we have still not factored in is the genius of Cambiasso for setting us up so we didn't get relegated in the first place. 

Would someone like to remind us what the jigsaw puzzle that was NP Shakey and Walsh has done since it fell apart. Oh yes all have been sacked. 

What a crock of shit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is there any other fanbase that constantly compares their best managers? It's pointless.

I saw on twitter last week "who was better Pearson or O'Neill". Why does it matter? Both were superb for us, leave it at that.

I never see Manchester United doing a Fergie v Busby or Liverpool going on about Shankly v Paisley.

I'm fed up of constant comparisons. Ranieri, Pearson, O'Neill and many before these .... just accept what they achieved here and leave it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sylofox said:

This is embarrassing.

When times were bad, as is sometimes the case when someone manages your club for five-and-a-half years, there was sometimes a division of opinions. Those who doubted him were always proven wrong, and most were able to see that they were wrong afterwards, just as those who wanted O'Neill out in 1996 did. Some of them dug in and looked ridiculous, which is what's happening in this post.

That would be the reason why people are telling Leuven, who turned on him very, very early in a new season and have reached the point of protesting against both NP and King Power, to be patient. You'd expect any Leicester fan to do the same, seeing as Pearson took us up two leagues, kept us up and assembled our best ever side (in spite of a few spells like the one they're having), and King Power bankrolled much of it.

There has been so much said by insiders about how we achieved the Great Escape and one of many inside comments praised Cambiasso without once crediting him for becoming a makeshift manager. To still seize on that as proof - in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary - that it was Cambiasso in charge all along is absurd. As for the jigsaw puzzle, Shakey and Walsh won the league a year after Pearson left, unless you'd forgotten.

10 minutes ago, Babylon said:

"Tactically clueless" and wins a league with one of the biggest points totals ever seen. It's certainly not his strong point, but to suggest he's clueless about anything with what he's done here is laughable.

Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 12.43.53.png

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/sep/22/louis-van-gaal-tactics-leicester-nigel-pearson

https://www.givemesport.com/571854-nigel-pearson-emerges-as-tactical-genius-when-it-matters

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/nigel-pearsons-bold-tactics-give-leicester-city-the-edge-in-premier-league-relegation-scrap-10188527.html

The sources are of varying quality (the search took twenty seconds) but underline how some people try to rewrite history after the event.

For the record I don't think Pearson was a tactical genius, but he was hardly paralysingly inept either.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

Of course you can argue about OH Leuven's performances on the pitch right now, but I find it rather irritating that fans of a Belgian second tier club are so up in arms about a bad spell when the season has just started - with only eight teams in the division and four encounters with each one of them, there's still a massive amount of games in which a club like Leuven can turn it around.

What is it - seven points to first place and 21 games still to go? Besides, the second half allows teams to pretty much start anew and Leuven can finish first there, too.

Judge Pearson by the end of the regular season or if he's failed in the Europa League qualifiers again, and not now.

I don't take the view that I have to be nice about Leuven just because King Power are involved, Nige is the manager, they have a few of our loanees and some of their fans come on here. I'm a Leicester fan, I didn't support Derby when Pearson was there, and I don't follow the owners' polo sides or horses.

With that in mind, my opinion of them has nosedived. Many of their fans want their club to be a local club for local people. You don't erupt against a manager and owners in the 3rd game of a season, three points off top (after they turned you around a year earlier) under normal circumstances, because if you do you're going to seriously damage your side's chances of success, especially at such a small club where the fan-staff connection is so intimate. Fast forward a few games and they're protesting at vital games, which won't help either.

It was no surprise, then, to see that the widespread feeling is that they want a Belgian owner and manager, rather than what they've got. If this is the agenda, and if they still have 'their men' in key roles at the club (men who, according to Pearson, are proving problematic) then you have to ask yourself whether this determination among fans and some staff members, at a time when things weren't going badly, to keep the club 'theirs' is central to their subsequent collapse, or the previously successful 'new manager / new owner' combo trying to work things out in that environment.

That's not to say he's got everything right. I suspect he was a little too upbeat early on about how good things were, which was the case in his second spell with us, and at Derby. It always helps to learn the language too, which may or may not have happened. But the problems there are certainly not the work of Pearson alone, as a quick glance at their history - and turnover of managers - confirms.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There is a theory that the best managers always start with bad results. As if a manager really has a tactical vision for a club it takes a while to fully transfer to it. Such as Fergie or closer to home Martin Oneil. The less tactically astute managers tend to just keep the squad doing what they already were doing and make minor tweaks. 

I'm not saying everyone deserves patience as obviously these are special cases but perhaps Pearson just needs the time to get the squad to understand his system? I like to think he will turn it around for you but the opinions of Leicester fans on this matter is always going to be rose tinted, because we witnessed him at his best.  Unfortunately @Lizhang this isnt the place youre going to get extra nails for his coffin (or a reasonable debate)

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 1