Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

LCFC @ Luton Town (Friendly) - Match Thread

First time I've seen us in pre season due to holiday. Don't think we look too bad. Maguire looks decent, Iborra looks like he'll settle quickly providing he gets game time. Can't help but feel he was signed to allow us to play a Chelsea style 3-4-3 formation, with him and N'didi sitting or a 3-5-2. Musa at least looks a better player than he did all of last season but had no finesse in front of goal at all!! Behind Vardy and maybe Slimani it's clear we're lacking up front. Ulloa offers very little and for as much as I love Okazaki he's just not an out and out striker. 

Most probably a completely different 11 for the 2nd half so let's see what that brings. I wouldn't be able to guess Shakeys starting 11 in a couple of weeks time based on anything I've read, heard or seen though. Would be nice to get some transfers through and complete within the next week though 

Just now, egg_fried_rice said:

I think you all need to calm down a bit.

This is a pre season friendly. It's a fitness workout and a chance to try some new combinations.

We've clearly been the better team even playing in third gear, and we've got a good few games left to bring everything up to speed for the new season.

Lighten up!

Talking sense on FT never ends well

i agree with everything you said!

Just now, lcfcsnow said:

I'm quite confident this combination would create less than 1 chance per game on average, please see it soon Shakespeare.

I was shocked to see Simpson ahead of Albrighton so often. That should be the rarity. 

Ndidi some good some bad, I like the height of Iborra. 

Why Ulloa isn't in the box more often is a worry to me.

Not that anyone asked, but in case people can't watch and want some biased info...

Re the first half, I was trying mostly to watch Elder and the Iborra/Ndidi partnership. Elder made a couple questionable decisions, but I thought he showed good vision and made good decisions distributing the ball. Probably pressing a bit today, understandable, but certainly looked like he belonged. 

After the first couple minutes, Iborra seemed fine, he's shown some crap touch early this preseason, but really seemed to settle down and start getting comfortable, commanding the pitch and directing players around him. Could do with a bit of that, as doesn't do that much. Ndidi was himself, always good to see, love that kid, is he still only 20? Ridiculous. 

Seems Leo has two gears left, invisible and awful. Prefer he leaves it in park going forward. 

Albrighton played well, obviously, if Slimani were playing instead of Shinji or Ulloa, LC would've scored the first half, perhaps more than once.Thought Okazaki played well, created opportunities, though that one fall in the box was just ridiculous. He'd do a good bit better staying up rather than begging for calls in that situation.

Though Simpson dropped in a couple nice passes and was solid. Maguire was really impressive again, save for ducking under that one ball. Yikes. No more of that, big guy. Benny seemed fine, was judiciously physical at times, played a bit of enforcer, didn't make any bad mistakes that I noticed.

Keeper was decisive, made good decisions, though relatively untroubled. 

Enjoyed seeing the B team play such a possession-driven half of football. Shows why we need to keep Slim and sign Nacho though -- Leo needs to be in the Championship, and while Shinji is still doing Shinji things, he just isn't enough of a threat for a team with our aspirations.

1 minute ago, ozvaldo said:

I've not been overly impressed with Iborra yet.  

You're not allowed to comment on him. I mentioned that I was a little disappointed after Hongkong and the reaction was unbelievable. 

My early thoughts have been confirmed tonight. He slows the play down far too much for my liking. I haven't seen any one touch passing or him try to speed things up. Again though, I repeat, it's early days and I hope he comes good but I can only comment on what I've seen so far....

Exact same thoughts for the third game on the spin - our lack of creativity without Mahrez (and in fairness, Gray) is appalling. There's just zero spark.

We can't use this as a front pairing at all surely.

I suspect Iborra is not going to shine in a game we were always going to control. He wants to go and win the ball. Ndidi similarly is struggling to shine. Similar reason. Neither are really striding forward with the ball either are they?

Its a fitness workout.

1 minute ago, Dan LCFC said:

Exact same thoughts for the third game on the spin - our lack of creativity without Mahrez (and in fairness, Gray) is appalling. There's just zero spark.

We can't use this as a front pairing at all surely.

Creativity wasn't a problem in my eyes, got some good crosses in, strikers where just miles away every time.

5 minutes ago, 49er said:

My last visit to Kenilworth Road was Lineker's last appearance for us - a 4-0 defeat in 1985. Same day as the Bradford fire

Mine too, we got back on the bus and we laughed as we heard on the radio there had been a fire at Bradford. Obviously we didn't quite realise how bad it was. Never forgotten that. 

Barnes can rip up the world's best under 19s scoring goals for fun but we play a league two team and he's not even on the bench. Is Shakey's tactic to develop the under 21s into squad players "treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen"? :glare:

1 minute ago, Livid said:

Mine too, we got back on the bus and we laughed as we heard on the radio there had been a fire at Bradford. Obviously we didn't quite realise how bad it was. Never forgotten that. 

The previous away game was an entertaining 3-4 at QPR

Archived