Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Is Shakespeare the right man for the job?

Nige spent a good few years sorting out the wage structure, rooting out the bad apples and creating a tight knit group of players. Seems all of that has gone down the drain.

The decisions both on and off the pitch have been questionable of late.

Strangers on the pitch and off the pitch there seems to be a pally, old boys club culture amongst the non-playing staff.

Part of me thinks we need a big name manager to lay down the law and sort it out. Someone to get the best out of Mahrez and inspire the lads to achieve and be winners again.

• Like 1

Noticed recently that Shakespeare is a bit touchy on issues relating to player power. After Vardy took over penalty duties from Mahrez in the Chelsea game he said 'It's not for me to decide who takes penalties', and after Vardy missed against Liverpool he said 'It's not for me to tell him how to take a penalty'.

Of course, when Ranieri took over the players said to him in so many words that they didn't want any of his fancy Italian methods, they just wanted to get on with what they were good at. And Ranieri pretty much accepted that. I wonder sometimes whether the players would prefer us to be managerless, and whether Shakespeare's best qualification for the job is that he's the closest approximation to that. 

Edited by kushiro
  • Like 1

My gut says no. However if you look back through his games in charge. We haven't lost to anyone where we wouldn't have expected too. 

Maybe that is where the problem lies, we should expect to lose.

Edited by teblin

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/09/2017 at 20:22, ttfn said:

Six games for me. I won't be having a go at him until he's had a proper go this season against a more representative bunch of teams.

Bournemouth (A)

West Brom (H)

Swansea (A)

Everton (H)

Stoke (A)

Man City (H)

At least 9 points and an indication that we've got an actual game plan and that's good enough for me. 

I'm not happy and I have a sneaking suspicion that we're regressing but there's no point in binning him off now.

Update on the above. 2 points from 2 games and no indication that we have anything resembling a game plan.

The sneaking suspicion of regression has morphed into a pretty conclusive opinion on it but we'll see what the next 4 games bring. 7 points needed.

41 minutes ago, Wallingtons-not-bald said:

I work within the club, and hate to say this but the atmosphere within the club isn't good.

I'm aftaid he has to be a man and offer his resignation for the good of all concerned. 

I wish the man well, but for me, it's the end of Craig. 

Please can you expand - what is causing the bad atmosphere? Thanks

45 minutes ago, Wallingtons-not-bald said:

I work within the club, and hate to say this but the atmosphere within the club isn't good.

I'm aftaid he has to be a man and offer his resignation for the good of all concerned. 

I think everyone who saw the match tonight would agree there are many things wrong at the club and within the team. he will not resign though it's financially  wrong for him.

48 minutes ago, Wallingtons-not-bald said:

I'm hoping the owners are aware of the issues and react quickly if this is the case.

This is the second manager that's had to deal with a poor atmosphere at the club, so I hope when Shakespeare goes, we clear house and get rid of the other problems as well.

This was my concerns at the appointment of Shakespeare, it was a good time for a change of direction, and fresh blood/ start

I won't complain if Shakespeare is given a few games more to try and get us on the right path but equally I won't complain if we get someone with a big ego, fresh ideas, a fresh gameplan right now. 

Someonewho will recognise the quality of our signings and play to their strengths. Someone who knows how to get the best out of good talent. Someone who knows the league.

In my opinion if the owners are serious about being a top 6 club then they need to go and break the bank to get Roberto Mancini from Zenit St Petersberg.

Next up we're playing Swans and I find myself thinking wouldn't it be great to nick a point. Our style of play, poor tactics, personal decisions, and in the end the results, everything is underwhelming. We should be comfortably mid table (if not higher) with this squad but I just don't see us getting 3 points at Swansea or Stoke away. We're becoming a serious relegation candidate, competing with the likes of Bournemouth, Crystal Palace etc. Eddie Howe would be kissing owners feet every day if he had players like ours... I think it's decision time for Vichai and co.

Edited by Chester Dontlie

3 hours ago, ttfn said:

Update on the above. 2 points from 2 games and no indication that we have anything resembling a game plan.

The sneaking suspicion of regression has morphed into a pretty conclusive opinion on it but we'll see what the next 4 games bring. 7 points needed.

Man City is going to be humiliating. Will be at least 0-4.

So in his after match interview Shakey said he was pleased with the 'Spirit and Resilience' the team showed to score a deserved equaliser!    ???????

The man is deluded. 'Spirit and Resilience' ?     'Spirit and Resilience' !!!? ????

What planet is the man on? There was a bit of desperation at the end, which was all too little too late as usual.

WBA were the weakest side we've played this season. It's not as if we came away with a draw against Man U.

'Spirit and Resilience'!!! HA!  lol

We would really struggle in the Championship with that kind of 'Spirit and Resilience' .

For me the fundamental problem is recruitment. I don’t know who is making the decisions about signing the players that we sign – but whoever it is needs to go.

I doubt it’s Shakespeare and so surely this is Jon Rudkin?

Kramaric, Musa, Slimani and now Ihanacho.  Shakespeare only signed one of these players. They are all good strikers but it’s clear that Vardy needs a Nugent/Okasaki support striker to get the best out of him. Why do we never buy players who can improve on Okasaki?

We won the Premier League playing 4411. THe whole team is geared around this formula and has been since we won the Championship in 2014.

Why have we spent nearly £80m on strikers who can only get in the team if we play 442? Who is making these decisions? 

Iborra looks like a fish out of water. What is he actually in there to do? He is a good player if you play a slower possession game in a three-man midfield… But we don’t!  He looks like he’s playing in a different team to everybody else!

The team looks disjointed with no clear idea of strategy.