Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Manchester Utd (A) Pre-Match Thread

15 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Our attack is looking better, with Mahrez more confident after his free ride against Brighton, Vardy on form, and Slim firing on all cylinders. Yet I'd still start Shinji. Our midfield is still the weak link and his pressing and hiswork there will be essential.

I'd play Iborra over James if fit since I've a little more confident in him defensively. If Mendy had more game time I'd be somewhat tempted to play him too. I think two defensive midfielders in this game is needed.

Bert's point about Fuchs playing centre back over Benny and Amartey seems likely. The only thing that worries me about that is whether Chilwell is defensively strong enough for the left back position.

It's been over the moon with a solid display and a point. If the back line holds and we have a solid midfield pairing then we could soak it up and punish them.

With the usual 4-4-2, I can see Mahrez being shut down and having a crap game, Albrighton trying his best but crosses aren't the forwards cup of tea, Shinji running like a mad man with little effect, Vardy starved and the midfield being overrun.

We can't hold the line against those, they will score. It's only a matter of when. We should go for a more attack minded formation.

If we are to lose then at least lose while trying.

Got to score at least 3 to get something here, as i have a feeling, Lukaku, Pogba and Martial will all score against us this weekend, but with vardy bound to rustle them and shinji on his way to breaking Vardys record we may just stand a chance lol 

3 minutes ago, matty98 said:

Man Utd have had it easy so far, teams haven't even tried to beat them, if we go for them we can get goals, Mahrez against Blind and Vardy against Jones.

Yes... we must maibtsin a threat to keep them on back foot.  We saw how the arse were able to pick us off when they had nothing to worry about.  Attack is the best for of defense. Our wingers will gave to work hard to get fwd and back. Shinji must be ready to drop into mid field.  I hope dd can start with ndidi

We need to have a go at them early doors and see what happens. I think their first 2 results were rather flattering. West Ham were a disgrace and Swansea were well in the game with 10 minutes to go.

They'll punish any mistakes we make, but we've got to give them something to worry about. I'm sure we can cause them a lot of problems but I fear our defending might cost us.

It's obviously a bad time for us to be playing United but it's also a bad time for them to be playing us - a team that has scored nine goals in three games and is looking full of confidence.

'Where there's a will, there's a way' should be our approach to this. We need to recreate the collective resilience of our title-winning season and maybe rediscover some of the luck that has utterly deserted us since then (Slimani's disallowed hat trick goal last night just the latest example of a big decision going against us).

I worry greatly about slowcoach James in midfield. King was excellent last night - albeit against second-tier opposition - and would be my choice to partner Ndidi if Drinkwater and Iborra are still unfit. As for who partners Maguire, only Shakey will know the answer to that after a couple of days' training and visits to the treatment room.

We must try to stay in the game, either on level terms or one goal down, for as long as possible and then hit them with our bench.

It's going to be an extremely tough match, but if we go there with a plan and a positive mindset, we could get something from it.

5 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Drop Mahrez? Seriously?

He's no wingback and we'd pay it dearly.

That said you can't park  the bus with Chillwell and Amartey. Iborra is slow. Another problem would be the creativity. How are we supposed to score?

2 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

He's no wingback and we'd pay it dearly.

That said you can't park  the bus with Chillwell and Amartey. Iborra is slow. Another problem would be the creativity. How are we supposed to score?

We should just play the same team that has started the season very well.

2 hours ago, ZeGuy said:

Hamer     Kasper

Simpson           Wes              Maguire            Fuchs

N'didi      James      Iborra

Mahrez                                                             Albrighton

Nacho                Slim

Vardy

I think we can get something with this.

Yup, 14 players would definitely help :)

I think we'd get worn down into a drawn-out and potentially nasty defeat if we went 4-4-2, we need a bit more at the back with more emphasis on trying to break against them, always tricky this as we don't have the right amount of quality to play this naturally, but with a backup plan of Slim and Albrighton on the bench to go a bit more direct late second half if required i think we can make the 3-5-2 work and still have an alright alternative ready to go if it doesn't work.

Schmeichel

Maguire

Morgan

Amartey - i really don't rate Fuchs as highly when he comes into a back three more centrally, doesn't bring the best out of his game so Amartey will have to do :whistle:

Fuchs

Gray - an attacking choice, after his goal it's time to encourage him to run at the defence more, do more of what he's excellent at and have a go. Switch to four at the back when in an attacking phase and really push him forward to support Mahrez

Ndidi

James - still rate his long-range passing better than Drinkwaters, cruical to maximise our potential goalscoring opportunities

Iborra (if he's fit?) - a physical presence in the middle we've missed who can get forward and open our game more hopefully

Mahrez - behind the striker, looking for space, quickly laying the ball to Gray/Vardy etc if closed down swiftly - looking to make runs through - make him more difficult to play against

Vardy - usual

Bench: Hamer, Simpson, Benalouane, Mendy, Albrighton, Slimani, Musa

Would love to see this, would give us a chance of something at least :cool:

6 hours ago, Bert said:

It's quite clear that if Morgan isn't fit, Fuchs will be preferred at centre half. That's why he played there last night to start forming a relationship at centre half with Maguire. 

Yes I thought it might be that as well Bert. He can do a job I suppose but I've never thought he looks comfortable there. Thought a back three might be an option with Albrighton and Chilwell as wing backs, but perhaps the wrong match to be too adventurous. We do seem slaves to this 442 with an inability to change tactics when required. 

13 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Will lose 1-0 or 2-1 in a tight game I think 

I wish. 

3-0 spanking coming up I reckon. 

Hope I'm wrong like. I think they flattered to deceive a bit against Swansea but we're just so wank at the back it's unreal. 

Fuchs is no centre half that's fact.

Start with Okazaki,Mahrez and Albrighton in particular  will have to be midfielders first and wingers second..

If we are still in it say 60 mins then another proper midfielder on and Mahrez in behind Vardy

Its the boys at the back who are going to need to be right on it .

Maguire will have to prove himself against these and then the fan boys may be correct.

Think United pretty much have everything we struggle against, and will look threatening from every set piece like last season.

only areas for weakness for me are if we can isolate matic on the counter and get someone with some pace running at him (mahrez), and the 2 centre backs are yet to get tested (although I was impressed with how Bailly dealt with Vardy last year)

Same team I expect

Maybe have Drinky and Kelechi on the bench if they are fit and Iborra but do not see him changing the team.

This could be the wrong team to play at the wrong time for us and I fear we could be mauled if we are not brave and try to attack them.

1 hour ago, TJB-fox said:

Will lose 1-0 or 2-1 in a tight game I think 

That would surprise me. both teams have good attacks and weaker defences. There are goals in this one unless Kasper pulls off a worldie.

15 minutes ago, Vocey said:

Think United pretty much have everything we struggle against, and will look threatening from every set piece like last season.

only areas for weakness for me are if we can isolate matic on the counter and get someone with some pace running at him (mahrez), and the 2 centre backs are yet to get tested (although I was impressed with how Bailly dealt with Vardy last year)

Bailly is good against speed but he's not so good against height. Stick slimani on him and have vardy up against the cart-horse.

edit: Shocked that people are calling for Iborra. He really hasn't shown us anything yet - could be another Inler, we just don't know (certainly not a DD replacement);

Archived