Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Manchester Utd (A) Pre-Match Thread

Morgan is a worry, he's not been in form and and has been very poor. He isn't too mobile at the best of times and if his back isn't 100% he shouldn't play. It's why I'd have liked Armarty to have had a run out there last night. Please an extra man in midfield and not 442 same old there big midfield needs a bit of respect. 

29 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Morgan is a worry, he's not been in form and and has been very poor. He isn't too mobile at the best of times and if his back isn't 100% he shouldn't play. It's why I'd have liked Armarty to have had a run out there last night. Please an extra man in midfield and not 442 same old there big midfield needs a bit of respect. 

It's quite clear that if Morgan isn't fit, Fuchs will be preferred at centre half. That's why he played there last night to start forming a relationship at centre half with Maguire. 

Man United have looked very strong in the league so far and have largely controlled their games, so signs are ominous. That said, we are definitely looking good and with Vardy fit and a rejuvenated Mahrez we can cause problems ourselves. Last year we lost 3-0 at home we were poor but Ndidi looked good against Pogba. The 4-1 away game was embarrassing due to so many unforced errors. I feel the key battles will be Ndidi versus Pogba, Drinky / James versus Matic and Maguire versus Lukaku. If we can frustrate them for long enough we could make chances ourselves. They are not the most creative team but I feel like their style this year is going to be to overwhelm opponents with their sheer power which could get us towards the end.

I think they will win but it won't be a complete walk in the park. 2-0 United.

And to be honest even if we get rolled over it's not the end of the world. Once this difficult run is over we will get to the games where I expect us to perform.

Not going to be easy but I think some are giving Man U too much plaudits. Swansea was still a game up to the 82nd minute and the scoreline flattered them. If we start well I do think we could rattle them. Always a difficult one at Old Trafford though.

Reckon wes is very doubtful re last nights CB pairing 

that's a worry for me as Fuchs is not so good against someone coming in behind him in the air (I prefer Simpson in that respect). But chillwell is a better full back cover than amartey so I understand the reasoning. 

They will try and isolate him against lukaku so a big concern 

I struggle to see how we don't concede at least 2 goals in a 4-4-2 away from home against the most ruthless side at the minute. We never really learn. Last season we got mullered a number of times and towards the end of the season Shakespeare kind of went with a half hearted plan to Arsenal to stay compact but it was a horrible watch. We ought to deploy 3-4-1-2 when we're playing the best sides as the extra centre half will give our midfield more of a chance of keeping them at bay, we've seen how hard it is otherwise.

Maguire is that good on the ball that when we have it he can operate as a defensive midfielder too so it's a formation I think needs exploring but I know we won't, unless we go behind and need to change something.

5 hours ago, 4fuxsake said:

I'd like to see this setup

Kasper

Simmo.                 Maguire.            Fuchs

Mahrez             N'didi.         james          albrighton

Iniacho

Slim      Vardy

Nice try, José.

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

Reckon wes is very doubtful re last nights CB pairing 

that's a worry for me as Fuchs is not so good against someone coming in behind him in the air (I prefer Simpson in that respect). But chillwell is a better full back cover than amartey so I understand the reasoning. 

They will try and isolate him against lukaku so a big concern 

Got to hope we're willing to risk Huth for 60-70 mins and hen see where we're at then.

Not saying this will be easy, not by a long shot, but United's results have flattered them, having watched both their games, they give away a lot of chances. They have played two team imo will be in the bottom 5 come May. Teams that haven't taken their chance when they have come. We have strikers who are confident and scoring. 

5 of their 8 goals have come in that last 10 mins, to make their results look better. 

I'm going for 2-2 and will be very happy with that

Blimey, this thread reads like before we played Man City at home last season.

Ok so it's Old Trafford.

Stay organised, nick a set piece before half time. Then catenaccio for 45 minutes before Jose saves face with an injury time penno.

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I'd have worried with Wes there about our right hand side, with Fuchs moving over and Chilwell on the left I'll be concerned about the whole back line. Surely they need more protection in this game.

Yeah anyone who thinks that defense can keep them at bay is living in a dream world. There's no evidence yet from Chilwell he can handle top sides, certainly not away from home for 90 minutes. Fuchs will be pulled all over the place which leaves Maguire and Simpson battling like fcuk. 3-4-1-2 and it gives us a bit more balance but he won't do it.

4-2 Utd

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah anyone who thinks that defense can keep them at bay is living in a dream world. There's no evidence yet from Chilwell he can handle top sides, certainly not away from home for 90 minutes. Fuchs will be pulled all over the place which leaves Maguire and Simpson battling like fcuk. 3-4-1-2 and it gives us a bit more balance but he won't do it.

4-2 Utd

This game is the one where you'd need a fit DD, Iborra or Mendy just sat in front of the back four screening them. Like you say, the cb's are going to get pulled around with a makeshift back line and we need someone to just slot into that space quickly.

Just now, Babylon said:

This game is the one where you'd need a fit DD, Iborra or Mendy just sat in front of the back four screening them. Like you say, the cb's are going to get pulled around with a makeshift back line and we need someone to just slot into that space quickly.

Yeah I'd love it if we actually set up conservatively with players that can play that role rather than do what we often do against the better sides away and is pick our normal team but just don't really play like we normally do and try and sit deep and contain them. Surely Drinkwater and Iborra are back for this? Mendy will do, we've so many options!!!

This is one battle in a campaign.  We are unlikely to get anything out of it but it's important that we play well and maintain the confidence the squad currently seems to have.  There will be other matches that better define how our season will turn out, this is one we need to get through with as little damage as possible.

The problem won't be their pace or power in open play. All week Mourinho will be doing set piece drills, they have at least five potential targets on an aerial set piece. 

Alongside this, Lukaku has always had the beating of our defence in defeat or victory. 

This will be our downfall. 

I hope Iborra is back for this.

Schmickles McGee

Simpson Morgan Maguire Fuchs

Iborra

Mahrez James Ndidi Albrighton

Vardy

Subs: Goalkeeper, Chilwell, Amartey, Drinkwater(?), Slim, Okazaki, Gray

Get jammy with some set-piece and hopefully get a point or 3. Poor Okazaki will feel hard done by but we need to keep the ball in the few minutes we'll probably be in possession. 

Hamer     Kasper

Simpson           Wes              Maguire            Fuchs

N'didi      James      Iborra

Mahrez                                                             Albrighton

Nacho                Slim

Vardy

I think we can get something with this.

-----------------Kasper-------------

Simpson--Wes--Maguire--fuchs

Mahrez--James--Ndidi--Albrighton

----------------Okazaki--------------------

---------------------Vardy-------------------

Play Okazaki flat out for 45mins then bring Slimani on 2nd half.

Gray to come on too hopefully. 

Our attack is looking better, with Mahrez more confident after his free ride against Brighton, Vardy on form, and Slim firing on all cylinders. Yet I'd still start Shinji. Our midfield is still the weak link and his pressing and hiswork there will be essential.

I'd play Iborra over James if fit since I've a little more confident in him defensively. If Mendy had more game time I'd be somewhat tempted to play him too. I think two defensive midfielders in this game is needed.

Bert's point about Fuchs playing centre back over Benny and Amartey seems likely. The only thing that worries me about that is whether Chilwell is defensively strong enough for the left back position.

It's been over the moon with a solid display and a point. If the back line holds and we have a solid midfield pairing then we could soak it up and punish them.

Make no mistake this is going to be an extremely tough match and we need to be so 'on it' defensively to get anything out of the game but anything is possible. we need to control the midfield if we can which will be difficult! and get runners off the ball and with lots of pace with Vardy, Okazaki and Gray we can cause them problems!. it's a big game and big game players like Mahrez and Vardy need to show their stuff!

Archived