Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

The whole Leeds are falling apart/I predict the playoffs was funny to start with but it's getting a little bit tiresome now IMO

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, kenny said:

It's certainly a point of view.

It's also interesting that it stops at 2017. 

I am sure there is no reason for that either. It would be a shame if the data was manipulated for nefarious means.

It surely would be a shame, wouldn't it?

filters:quality(80)

Here's something to fill in that more recent gap. Seems to bear out the trend illustrated in the first graph, as well as highlighting how much things changed once the post-war consensus went out the window post-1979.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Here's something to fill in that more recent gap. Seems to bear out the trend illustrated in the first graph, as well as highlighting how much things changed once the post-war consensus went out the window post-1979.

It's interesting that outside of the blair government that health spending is very similar with the Tories and labour.  

It also looks like they have removed the covid 'overspend' from that graph. 

2 minutes ago, kenny said:

It's interesting that outside of the blair government that health spending is very similar with the Tories and labour.  

It also looks like they have removed the covid 'overspend' from that graph. 

Which is rather a big distinction because that covers a time period of practically the last fifty years, as per above, and the parties split massively on such matters post-1979.

Anyhow, to round this off, I would suggest that anyone opining that such a critical service has been adequately funded at any time since 1979 other than the years 1997-2008 are themselves voicing unpopular opinions.

7 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Which is rather a big distinction because that covers a time period of practically the last fifty years, as per above, and the parties split massively on such matters post-1979.

Anyhow, to round this off, I would suggest that anyone opining that such a critical service has been adequately funded at any time since 1979 other than the years 1997-2008 are themselves voicing unpopular opinions.

Everyone loves a bit of PFI. Reckon starmer will do the same?

Playing havoc with my NHS jobs just recently.

23 minutes ago, kenny said:

Everyone loves a bit of PFI. Reckon starmer will do the same?

Playing havoc with my NHS jobs just recently.

Goodness knows.

What might be more important, however, is actually having a better quality of service and, you know, preventing suffering and death across the board as much as possible. Which I don't think tends to happen (not often anyway) when you choose not to spend adequate amounts on it.

I guess we'll find out, anyway.

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

Goodness knows.

What might be more important, however, is actually having a better quality of service and, you know, preventing suffering and death across the board as much as possible. Which I don't think tends to happen (not often anyway) when you choose not to spend adequate amounts on it.

Starmer seems sensible to me. I doubt it will go up much more than it is.

Certainly not to Blair PFI levels. We are still paying that bill from 2007 and I think SKS is too conservative to follow Blair.

10 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Goodness knows.

PREVENTING suffering you say?  Well..  here I am doing just that.

£100 per month is the private cost for my treatment that should be FREE on the NHS.

TWO YEARS of this BS I have had to put up with.

And yes, it WAS better under the Red Party

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kenny said:

It overlooks the years in grey where labour were in power. I can't think of a good reason why the creator of the graph would do that.

I'm...   not really interested in anything prior to whe  I was born (1982)- I feel that anything beyond that is largely irrelevant.

14 minutes ago, SkidsFox said:

I quite admire the folk who buy up tickets or programmes in the hope of making an online killing.

For legacy value? Yeah.

Scalpers that buy up as much as they can and then sell them on, screwing over legit buyers in the process? Nah, Dante would put them in at least seventh circle of Inferno, and with good reason.

21 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I would err on the side of caution if you are suggesting an increase in funding is the same as being adequately funded. Such is the criminal way the NHS has been treated over the years that even an increase  as noted in the graph just hasn’t been enough. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, MPH said:

I would err on the side of caution if you are suggesting an increase in funding is the same as being adequately funded. Such is the criminal way the NHS has been treated over the years that even an increase  as noted in the graph just hasn’t been enough. 

Fair point well made.

On 21/04/2024 at 16:53, Paninistickers said:

I may have posted something along these lines before, but people who do marathons and 10ks and the times they run and add in those sorts who are rowing the Atlantic or climbing Kilimanjaros or that dude who ran Africa recently. Endurance shite. Oh add that awful Jodie Foster film recently on netflix about some elderly Doris who swam from Cuba to Florida. 

I couldn't be less interested. I'm pleased for them that they like it. But it's tremendously uninteresting. And I say that as a guy who enjoys a jog.

Im with you.  Don't forget the ones who post pics at the top of pen y fan.  Come on, it's not Everest 

2 hours ago, rugbyblue said:

Im with you.  Don't forget the ones who post pics at the top of pen y fan.  Come on, it's not Everest 

The top of Old John is fine though, right?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Tielemans63 said:

Confession: I can't help but like Harry Kane.

IMHO, he is a brilliant footballer, and he strikes me as a really decent bloke, too. I think it would be a travesty if he never won a major trophy in his career. I really hope he does, preferably with England.

I get that others think his lack of success is hilarious, but I just don't. It's not like he's a massive knobhead like Barton, O'Hara or Deeney etc. He's just a guy who gets on with it, which I respect.

The fact he didn't set the world alight at LCFC when he was a young lad is neither here, nor there for me.

Agreed. He seems like a genuine decent bloke who just wants to win with club/country. There are certainly dozens of footballers who I dislike ahead of him. 

I think he missed his chance when he could have gone to Man City before they bought Haaland. But he refused to force a move because he's too nice. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 1

On 07/05/2024 at 03:30, rugbyblue said:

sick of the "im doing it for charity" brigade who are doing whatever just coz they want to

52 minutes ago, Tielemans63 said:

IMHO, he is a brilliant footballer, and he strikes me as a really decent bloke, too. I think it would be a travesty if he never won a major trophy in his career. I really hope he does, preferably with England.

I get that others think his lack of success is hilarious, but I just don't. It's not like he's a massive knobhead like Barton, O'Hara or Deeney etc. He's just a guy who gets on with it, which I respect.

The fact he didn't set the world alight at LCFC when he was a young lad is neither here, nor there for me.

I think some on here don't like him because his spell at LCFC reflects badly on Pearson

1 hour ago, Tielemans63 said:

He started it. 

IMG_6501.jpeg

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tielemans63 said:

I don't hate Kane but I'm a big critic of his. I posted about it in the Champions league thread. He's only interested in personal accolades and isn't a team player. He'll see this a great season, whilst it's been Bayerns worst in over a decade. 

I also think when people, well certainly when I, mention his lack of trophies, it's not through hate, it's just making the point he's a very good player and every other player who has numbers like him has at least a League Cup winners medal. So he's failed. If you go through the 100 club in the Premier League for example, every other player on the list apart from Le Tissier has won at least one trophy

He seems like a nice bloke and there's rarely controversy around him, but he doesn't turn up in the crucial games, and he's a selfish player who puts his personal accolades above the team. And for that reason I will continue to criticise him. He'll never win a trophy until he lose that side of him. And whilst he seems a nice person, those traits are not ones i value in sportsperson who is part of a team. So it's not hate, it's bit of dislike of him as a player and disappointed in him that such a quality player is going to end their career without winning anything because they can't see the bigger picture of being part of a team.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

I wasn't sold on Kane for a while but think it's hard to argue he isn't up there with the best English strikers. 

He's the best goalscorer the country has ever produced. 

• Like 1