Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

1 hour ago, Xen said:

Care to elaborate on this?

I've heard versions of the same opinion with wildly differing reasoning in the past; some which I agree with wholeheartedly and others which I've been appalled by...

Yeah, there's clearly an agenda to shove it in our face 24/7. That's not to be equated on a personal level with homosexual lbgt people. Just don't expect me to hang a rainbow flag until you hang my white straight pride one. 

6 minutes ago, somebum said:

Yeah, there's clearly an agenda to shove it in our face 24/7. That's not to be equated on a personal level with homosexual lbgt people. Just don't expect me to hang a rainbow flag until you hang my white straight pride one. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-40643461 - Beaten up for being gay.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-19510094 - Rainbow & Dove pub attack.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/serbia-police-arrest-gay-attack-beating-man-lgbt-belgrade-a9183396.html

It's not designed to shove peoples sexual orientation in YOUR face. It's a celebration of social acceptance of being able to be who you are, regardless of orientation.  It's the opposite of shaming of which LGBT people have succumbed to for years and years. People of the LGBT community have been and still are persecuted for not having the sexual orientation people believe they should have.

I think you need sit down and think about it a bit more.  Think about Alan Turing who saved millions of lives in WWII to later be imprisoned and castrated for his sexual orientation.  Look how far, as a society we have came. I believe that does deserve a celebration. No one expects you to be involved, but equally no need to use the typical 'Where is my straight pride' comments. As straight people, we have had privilege's and social acceptance for history.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Pride is, what it is. I fully agree with the sentiment and it’s a great that people aren’t persecuted on a daily basis for the way they feel (moronic situations apart). 

Like all things, you get those that are just in it for the attention. I tend to find these grate on me a little, moreso than the demographic itself. No more than feminist, white suprematist, religious folk or vegans though.

It’s Important to remember that like all segments of society, they’ll have their share of great people, along with the  idiots.

You’ve got to take the rough with the smooth and I’ve learn’t to just roll with it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, somebum said:

What does a white straight pride flag look like? Bet it's the most boring flag going.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't get why anyone would want fame to be honest. Of course the money and adulation for a period of time would be good but everything else that comes with it just seems shit. Every move scrutinised, photographers chasing you down the street, following you on evenings out, I can easily see why people struggle with it.

Give me the freedom to walk down the street, go out, go about my business in relative peace and anonymity any day. We take it for granted.

1 minute ago, Corky said:

I don't get why anyone would want fame to be honest. Of course the money and adulation for a period of time would be good but everything else that comes with it just seems shit. Every move scrutinised, photographers chasing you down the street, following you on evenings out, I can easily see why people struggle with it.

Give me the freedom to walk down the street, go out, go about my business in relative peace and anonymity any day. We take it for granted.

The sex though. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

This is what frustrates me so much about the modern era, as Geoff puts it. The #MeToo thing has created a culture of hate mobs and bullies who persecute, prosecute and execute based on allegation alone. The media has also played its part. There's no due process any more.

Johnny Depp was accused of domestic violence against his wife Amber Heard, had death threats, petitions and boycotts to get him removed from films, and lost his most famous and profitable role of Jack Sparrow. Then it turns out that he was the ****ing victim, and there's now basically a press blackout on it.

As you say, there's only one person that now that knows what happened between Flack and her boyfriend. But she didn't have to die. She didn't have to be thrown to the wolves. This didn't need to happen. She was vulnerable, and whatever she was accused of, needed help.

#Metoo hasn't created that... it is a an uprising against the abuse that has been perpetrated. 

Comments like that are akin to saying football has created mob violence

• Like 3

8 hours ago, somebum said:

congrats... youve got the right thread...

Being a fvckwit homophobe isnt a popular opinion.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, somebum said:

Can I ask why you're proud to be a straight white person?

Even I've got one of the Rainbow flag Natwest cards. lol

Yeah the constant non stop "pride day/week/month" is often annoying and much of it corporate bollocks but we do need to remember in the majority of the World being gay still isn't acceptable and we have a moral duty to change that.

Using things like the Premier League to promote pride which has such a wide reach to a target audience that needs to take the lead in this can only be a good thing long term.

However inconvenienced you feel about it it's not half as inconvenient as it is to be in the gay community in a place like Iran or Saudi Arabia.

Edited by MattP

9 minutes ago, MattP said:

Even I've got one of the Rainbow flag Natwest cards. lol

Yeah the constant non stop "pride day/week/month" is often annoying and much of it corporate bollocks but we do need to remember in the majority of the World being gay still isn't acceptable and we have a moral duty to change that.

Using things like the Premier League to promote pride which has such a wide reach to a target audience that needs to take the lead in this can only be a good thing long term.

However inconvenienced you feel about it it's not half as inconvenient as it is to be in the gay community in a place like Iran or Saudi Arabia.

Or Russia. Or most of Africa. Or most of Latin America. Or vast swathes of Asia.

Well said.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xen said:

Well said.

My issue with pride that I hinted at in that first post was entirely focussed on the increasingly corporate takeover and gentrification of what was traditionally a protest for our rights. I could go on about all the things wrong with modern pride festivals, but I'll save that for a dedicated topic some other time.

Regardless of that though, as you alluded to pride has implications above and beyond the public image in the UK, and these events and discussions are necessary in order to instigate change on a more global level where the majority of the world lags severely behind.

I think that's what winds a lot of people up, even some LGBT folk, and probably part of what the hilariously and unfortunately named somebum was possibly trying to get at. It's an important cause IMO but it feels to me that a lot of the time it gets hijacked by companies just to be popular, and just comes across as very insincere. There's a difference between say, the Rainbow Laces campaign, and M&S bringing out an LGBT sandwich. One's promoting inclusivity and respect, the other is, you could argue, rather cynically trying to profit off it. A lot of LGBT people could find the latter offensive, and I can see why.

I do like your new profile pic tho.

• Thanks 1