Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

I couldn’t give less of a fvck about the Prem. I’d much rather we missed out on promotion and became just another average Championship club flirting with promotion or relegation every season. 

I don’t watch MOTD, I avoid the endless bleating about top tier football, and I wish the whole thing would implode. 

Just imagine how insufferable that section of FT is going to be with Maresca in the Prem? Most of them are unhinged as it is. 

Fvck the top flight. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Corky said:

Promotion to the Premier League doesn't excite me at all.

21 hours ago, bovril said:

Promotion excites me but not the Premier League itself.

For me it’s because we’ve been a PL team recently, for so long.

PL has never been great in terms of being fair, and top flight football has been ruined for decades, but before Pearson got us up my only season seeing us in the PL was under Adams. It came and went so quickly. So when Pearson got us up it was, sort of, new. It was our first promotion in 11 years.

At the minute we are where I expect us to be, given our squad, facilities and budget. It’s winning the league that I want to see us do, and that excites me more than promotion itself, which is why I was so gutted last night. But beating the likes of Rotherham and Millwall? That should be standard for us.

Which leads me to another point in that I don’t think Maresca is this genius that some of our fans seem to paint him out to be. With everything we have at this level, any half decent manager should get promoted with us.

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

For me it’s because we’ve been a PL team recently, for so long.

PL has never been great in terms of being fair, and top flight football has been ruined for decades, but before Pearson got us up my only season seeing us in the PL was under Adams. It came and went so quickly. So when Pearson got us up it was, sort of, new. It was our first promotion in 11 years.

At the minute we are where I expect us to be, given our squad, facilities and budget. It’s winning the league that I want to see us do, and that excites me more than promotion itself, which is why I was so gutted last night. But beating the likes of Rotherham and Millwall? That should be standard for us.

Which leads me to another point in that I don’t think Maresca is this genius that some of our fans seem to paint him out to be. With everything we have at this level, any half decent manager should get promoted with us.

I get all that but even a decade ago we had no VAR and the endless shit that goes with it. We weren't financially restricted like we will be. The atmosphere has been flat and tetchy when we've been winning- losing will be significantly worse than that and that will be regular.

As I said, it is the league we should aim to be in and stay there but I don't see much beyond a grim struggle with this manager or anyone else.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

The majority of talking heads on in the Anglosphere talking about the ridiculous nature of the Russian election (or life in China) would accept such systems with next to zero complaint if they lived and/or grew up in either of those countries.

Talk is cheap. Action is a lot more costly and very few people are cut out for suffering and dying to change things to a "freer" society. So perhaps the ordinary people in those places shouldn't be judged too harshly.

Completely agreed, well said.

• Thanks 1

On 24/02/2024 at 17:32, hejammy said:

If there is a Ukraine thread which is active, there should also be a Palestine thread which is active. 

There was a thread called the ' Israel Palestine conflict" that got shut down as there were some naughty little boys that couldn't contain themselves..

Edited by MPH
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, MPH said:

There was a thread called the ' Israel Palestine conflict" that got should down as there were some naughty little boys that couldn't contain themselves..

Agree 100%. Im no expert on either wars but i learn a hell of a lot by reading on here and fact checking myself.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Thefox81 said:

Agree 100%. Im no expert on either wars but i learn a hell of a lot by reading on here and fact checking myself.

If only a few more people could understand the difference between discussing and gaslighting!

• Like 1

On 18/03/2024 at 11:43, MPH said:

There was a thread called the ' Israel Palestine conflict" that got shut down as there were some naughty little boys that couldn't contain themselves..

Ill-informed or completely un-informed, making statements and POV's that very little basis in fact, IIRC.

Is that what "gaslighting" means. It seems to be another word that has crept into news and media. Is it when someone tries to convince you that you didn't say or see, what you know you actually said/saw?  :dunno:

Edited by Parafox

11 minutes ago, leatherhead32 said:

weddings should be ltd to just bride n groom

This is my ideal wedding and thankfully my girlfriend feels the same way.

The thought of family members watching you get married is horrifying to me.

20 minutes ago, bovril said:

This is my ideal wedding and thankfully my girlfriend feels the same way.

The thought of family members watching you get married is horrifying to me.

you lucky man , what a woman she's a  :schmike:keeper

On 20/03/2024 at 18:39, Parafox said:

Ill-informed or completely un-informed, making statements and POV's that very little basis in fact, IIRC.

Is that what "gaslighting" means. It seems to be another word that has crept into news and media. Is it when someone tries to convince you that you didn't say or see, what you know you actually said/saw?  :dunno:

Gaslighting is a form of psychological abuse where someone attempts to undermine another person's sense of reality. The aim is to make them doubt themselves and become reliant on the abuser for validation.

It's one of those things that's crept into the mainstream. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LiberalFox said:

Gaslighting is a form of psychological abuse where someone attempts to undermine another person's sense of reality. The aim is to make them doubt themselves and become reliant on the abuser for validation.

It's one of those things that's crept into the mainstream. 

The original British film Gaslight from 1940 was better than the famous 1944 Hollywood version in my opinion 

43 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

The original British film Gaslight from 1940 was better than the famous 1944 Hollywood version in my opinion 

Didn't know there were two versions and thought this was some kind of ironic joke

1 hour ago, bovril said:

Didn't know there were two versions and thought this was some kind of ironic joke

Apparently MGM tried to destroy all prints of the original and denied its existence but the director of the original had a copy so the film survived

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...