Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Claude Puel - Contender

Just now, st albans fox said:

Does anyone think that stuff like this is leaked to see what the fans response is like on social media and forums etc??

if so, I expect enough of you have done enough to force a rethink !!

I hope they checked the Twitter poll then lol

puel.png.9b8883c85cfe1051e96277148e3efde0.png

Plus point for me is his faith in youth players. Gray and Chilwell might actually get some game time, as well as other promising youth players. People like Shakespeare would just forever play plodders and give 2 year contracts to the likes of Ulloa.

11 minutes ago, dannythefox said:

We someone who will give them a rocket up there arse when needed. This guy can hardly speak English never mind do that. What a boring appointment if it happens and he'll be gone in 12-18 months if it does.

You would give him that long under 'quick-fire' Jonny 'the Kid' Rudkin??

For me its the biggest decision so far for them. We need to take the club up now for a few seasons and get in that top half. We need to attract some quality players by bringing in a well thought of manager. Puel is not in that bracket of manager to to that.

1 minute ago, pmcla26 said:

Dyche has shown that when he gets better players his football gets better, Puel plays crap football with good players in my opinion. I'm becoming less against the idea seeing some of the stuff what people are saying on this thread but still would prefer Dyche massively

His Nice team were fun. A Southampton team ravaged by injuries were not. Saints aren't exactly Brazil '70 this season either btw. He's a pragmatist, he'll look at what we have and fit tactics around them, as most good coaches would do. 

7 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

We all would but there's no guarantee we would get that, it's like Crystal Palace fans getting Ranieri and saying they'd take winning the league

But they would take that wouldn’t they 

and what they would get is a decent man who will work hard and not have to contend with his number 2 stabbing him in the back 

39 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

A lot has been said about Southampton "boring" style of football last year but it probably should prob be pointed out that we only scored 7 more goals than them whilst conceding 15 more.....

Yeah and we were fecking dreadful... 

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

I'm aware it didn't happen but there was a gnat's knacker between 8th and 17th. We finished 12th but could have easily finished 8th on the last day of the season. 

My point is I wouldn't give Puel too much credit for finishing 8th when six points less could have been 17th. 

Are we allowed to ask where they'd have finished with 6 points more?

Banging on about where they'd ha e finished IF they'd had 6 fewer points seems a bit ...... pointless.

52 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Monk failed at Leeds and is performing v poorly with a good boro squad

wilder has no form at this level though he could be anything in he future

nige ain’t coming back unless we go down 

Say what? He completely rebuilt that club from lower mid-table to title contenders and left to go to a bigger opportunity at M'boro. Don't reinvent history.

And he's only had a short amount of time at Boro so far, time will tell. He's a good manager, done great jobs at Swansea and Leeds.

Just asked a French user and Marseille fan on another forum about his time in France and he said this: To me he sounds exactly like a manager who does build struggling teams into good upper half teams but one who probably can't keep an already upper half team moving forward. It actually made me think this might be a decent appointment as I see us closer to Lille and Nice right now needing someone who'll build us into a good top half side rather than Lyon or Southampton who are already there. He said the following:

He did wonderful job at Lille back in the days, putting the club back were it counts in the mid-2000s, pathed the way to the cup-league double made by Garcia in 2011. 

Then went to Lyon. After 7 leagues in a row, Lyon never won it once in the 3 years he was at the club, or ever since, but under him they went to semis in CL for the first time. He also made dubious signings, most notably former lille players that weren't as good as expected. 

Then he went to Nice, where the same thing happened as when he was at Lille. Put the club back in top tier in the league, pathed the way to Favre incredible season last year.  At Nice he liked to lauch young players, but he also used to field his two sons regularly while it was obvious they were not good enough. 

All in all a pretty decent manager I guess.

4 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Just asked a French user and Marseille fan on another forum about his time in France and he said this: To me he sounds exactly like a manager who does build struggling teams into good upper half teams but one who probably can't keep an already upper half team moving forward. It actually made me think this might be a decent appointment as I see us closer to Lille and Nice right now needing someone who'll build us into a good top half side rather than Lyon or Southampton who are already there. He said the following:

He did wonderful job at Lille back in the days, putting the club back were it counts in the mid-2000s, pathed the way to the cup-league double made by Garcia in 2011. 

Then went to Lyon. After 7 leagues in a row, Lyon never won it once in the 3 years he was at the club, or ever since, but under him they went to semis in CL for the first time. He also made dubious signings, most notably former lille players that weren't as good as expected. 

Then he went to Nice, where the same thing happened as when he was at Lille. Put the club back in top tier in the league, pathed the way to Favre incredible season last year.  At Nice he liked to lauch young players, but he also used to field his two sons regularly while it was obvious they were not good enough. 

All in all a pretty decent manager I guess.

That was in a league and country he would have known inside out, and which is less competitive.  If we sack a manager, it shouldn't be to replace him with someone equally as average, especially when the outgoing manager has been inside the club for a long time and a key part of success. Reading many Southampton fans views, he sounds like a very poor choice.

Archived