Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Claude Puel - Contender

3 minutes ago, Sampson said:

By all accounts his Lille and Nice sides played very good football which makes me think he is a pragmatist who choses his style based on what's available to him rather than a defensive coach by trade.

I am also quietly more optimistic about this. The more I read about his record in France and the opinions of French football fans the more I think this could actually be a great appointment and we realistically couldn't gave got better.

Turned smaller clubs like Lille and Nice into regular European sides (and title contendors in Lille's case) while building young, exciting sides. Won the league with Monaco and reached the CL semi-final with Lyon.

But people think it's an atrocious or we appointment based on one average (not even bad) season at Southampton?

Haven't we all been crying out for a manager from abroad who can build a good young side and turn us into a regular top half side? Then why are we slating one with exactly that reputation in France?

I think that first paragraph is a fair call, and is also how I'm reading the situation.

Over the years his sides have had seasons amongst the highest scorers in the league, and seasons amongst the lowest, so probably not fair to make the simple assumption that he is a defensive minded coach.

2 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Looks very likely, but not having this bollocks he was at the ground. Don't think the press might have picked up at that? 

He was. Dressed as Filbert.

I'm not hating this prospect which is probably because if you scratch the surface he's never done a bad job anywhere and given the usual incumbents we have been linked with I'm relieved it's not Coleman or Pardew. 

I like his past links with developing younger players, it's a bonus he might get Mendy back and integrate him who could still be a class player in this country and by all accounts this negative football he put his name to in the 2nd half of the season last season isn't necessarily representative of what he did in France. Nice scored quite a lot of goals!!

Fvck it if it's done then pointless moaning - a little underwhelming but in all honesty I know little about the bloke. We can't completely judge him on his season with Southampton, it'd be incredibly unfair considering he's been managing various clubs for the last 18 odd years. I'd love to know a little bit more of his time in France. A few opinions from some staunch Lyon or Nice fans perhaps. Even a sh1tly translated article from back in the day would do.

Based on the fact Southampton seem to be eternally on the look out for another Pochettino his style of play can't be that bad or else they'd have never appointed him. Strained logic I know but I'm trying to be positive.

22 minutes ago, Dames said:

Underwhelming if true and he turned Southhampton into one of the most boring defensive teams in the league.

Looks like these past 2 games were a false dawn.

You have to laugh.

We've played two games under Appleton. Two games in which our players have performed well. According to many on here that's Appleton's doing and he should get the job.

Southampton being a defensive team is a player problem, not a managerial one. If they're terrible going forwards based on the players they have (which they are), it makes sense to play to your strengths and try to get as many 1-0's and 0-0's as possible. Setting Southampton up as an attacking side in their current state would be suicide. They're never going to out-score teams. Not until they sort their recruitment.

I know very little about Peul, but to call him a defensively minded boss based on his time at Southampton would be misguided. 

Despite our poor form this season and generally negative football, we've scored 21 in 12 in league and cup. We just need more organisation and a defined style of play. Hopefully Appleton can explain how much better we are pressing from the front.

14 minutes ago, Sampson said:

By all accounts his Lille and Nice sides played very good football which makes me think he is a pragmatist who choses his style based on what's available to him rather than a defensive coach by trade.

I am also quietly more optimistic about this. The more I read about his record in France and the opinions of French football fans the more I think this could actually be a great appointment and we realistically couldn't have got much better.

Turned smaller clubs like Lille and Nice into regular European sides (and title contendors in Lille's case) while building young, exciting sides. Won the league with Monaco and reached the CL semi-final with Lyon.

But people think it's an atrocious or woeful appointment based on one average (not even bad) season at Southampton?

Haven't we all been crying out for a manager from abroad who can build a good young side and turn us into a regular top half side? Then why are we slating one with exactly that reputation in France?

Good post.

He deserves to be given the benefit of the doubt by all of us.

Not my first choice but I'll still get behind him and I'm sure the vast majority will too.

Best of luck to him if it's true...

5 minutes ago, Phube said:

So does he have a set backroom staff, or will Appleton be his no.2?

Pascal Plancque was his no.2 at Southampton alongside Eric Black.

pascal-plancque_57900_wide.jpg

Archived