Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Claude Puel - Contender

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

We've got a cracking squad come January, I just don't want to see it go to waste. Midseason appointments are often uninspiring anyway as it's always out of work or lower league managers. 

Will get my full backing as per usual. 

You never know, he might be quietly authoritative and commands the players' respect...

3 hours ago, Sampson said:

Just asked a French user and Marseille fan on another forum about his time in France and he said this: To me he sounds exactly like a manager who does build struggling teams into good upper half teams but one who probably can't keep an already upper half team moving forward. It actually made me think this might be a decent appointment as I see us closer to Lille and Nice right now needing someone who'll build us into a good top half side rather than Lyon or Southampton who are already there. He said the following:

He did wonderful job at Lille back in the days, putting the club back were it counts in the mid-2000s, pathed the way to the cup-league double made by Garcia in 2011. 

Then went to Lyon. After 7 leagues in a row, Lyon never won it once in the 3 years he was at the club, or ever since, but under him they went to semis in CL for the first time. He also made dubious signings, most notably former lille players that weren't as good as expected. 

Then he went to Nice, where the same thing happened as when he was at Lille. Put the club back in top tier in the league, pathed the way to Favre incredible season last year.  At Nice he liked to lauch young players, but he also used to field his two sons regularly while it was obvious they were not good enough. 

All in all a pretty decent manager I guess.

You sir, are the only one I'd read with attention, because unlike to most of the posters on here who just react based on "muh he was sacked by Soton because boring" , you have genuine knowledge about the guy. Knowledge that's corroborated with facts.

Thank you.

Genuinely hope I'm wrong but I don't have a good feeling about this. I don't think our fans will put up with boring for very long. We've been amazing at times and we've been atrocious at times these last few years but one thing we haven't been is dull.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I'm ambivalent to this appointment, but could have been far worse.

I know he got pilloried for a supposed lack of attacking ambition at Southampton, but he has better attacking talent here at his disposal.

11 minutes ago, Dames said:

Underwhelming if true and he turned Southhampton into one of the most boring defensive teams in the league.

Looks like these past 2 games were a false dawn.

No one is going to get my backing playing fearful defensive football.

He needs to play to our strengths;

on the front foot or we are ****ed.

The problem is, the list of potential names was hardly a glittering one. 

Giggs- Never been a full-time manager

Moyes- Sacked from his last three jobs with all fans fed up

Pardew- Streaky manager who has lost his way

Coleman- Very unconvincing club career

Appleton- Better as an assistant currently

Dyche- Unlikely that he'd join this time but the best shout

Howe- Doubts about his ability away from Bournemouth

Ancelotti, Tuchel, Silva weren't going to come. Appointing managers during the season is much, much harder. We'll fail because we didn't do enough work in the summer, with time on our side, to get what they wanted (which clearly wasn't Shakespeare). 

If Puel can get the players onside he should be fine, that isn't a given though. However, that would be the same for any new manager.

7 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Unrelated, but in line with Season 2 hype, does anyone else think he looks like Dr Brenner from Stranger Things?

man1061.pnglatest?cb=20170416110233

well we could do with 11 at times:ph34r:

also didnt he have run ins with some of the Southampton players last season from what I remember

11 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I think that's one of my worries, that the players don't take to him. Fingers crossed. 

I don’t think they will. You do feel that some of the players see the place as their own, I don’t think they’ll want him coming in and changing a lot. They won’t have the direct line to the manager that they had with CS. 

10 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

Shakespeares 'ultimately' to be replaced with 'fantastique'

Also, Shakespeare's use of "In terms of..." 

He was obsessed with the phrase.

Everything was "in terms of" everything else.

By all accounts his Lille and Nice sides played very good football which makes me think he is a pragmatist who choses his style based on what's available to him rather than a defensive coach by trade.

I am also quietly more optimistic about this. The more I read about his record in France and the opinions of French football fans the more I think this could actually be a great appointment and we realistically couldn't have got much better.

Turned smaller clubs like Lille and Nice into regular European sides (and title contendors in Lille's case) while building young, exciting sides. Won the league with Monaco and reached the CL semi-final with Lyon.

But people think it's an atrocious or woeful appointment based on one average (not even bad) season at Southampton?

Haven't we all been crying out for a manager from abroad who can build a good young side and turn us into a regular top half side? Then why are we slating one with exactly that reputation in France?

Archived