Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Puel

Excellent  post @ZeFrench most on here seem to be impressed by Claude's studious and calm approach. He has us playing an entertaining brand of football whilst rotating players well and giving youth a chance!

Maybe you should post on the Southampton forum and enlighten them :P

Welcome and keep up the good posts.

• Haha 1

A massive thank you to our French friends for their genuinely interesting and enlightening posts about Puel. 

I often think of giving up reading this forum when it is full of negative, hyper-critical whinging even during the finest era of our club’s history. 

Posts such as these remind me why it’s occasionally worth having a look around here.

Unfortunately I agree with @ZeFrenchthat when the going gets tough a certain % of our fan base will turn. Even right now when things are going well there are some who still dislike him so god help him when we go through a mini crisis. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Koke said:

Unfortunately I agree with @ZeFrenchthat when the going gets tough a certain % of our fan base will turn. Even right now when things are going well there are some who still dislike him so god help him when we go through a mini crisis. 

Spot on. I can predict now the “how can he inspire a team when he’s so boring, I fall asleep when he comes on the radio” and “nobody must have a clue what he’s on about” comments. 

Really hope the powers that be at the club and more intelligent supporters give him support when we hit a rough patch. 

It happens. It’s football. You sometimes lose. It doesn’t mean the club is rotten to the core and the manager is clueless.  

Edited by Nickfosse
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, Koke said:

9 minutes ago, Nickfosse said:

Spot on. I can predict now the “how can he inspire a team when he’s so boring, I fall asleep when he comes on the radio” and “nobody must have a clue what he’s on about” comments. 

Really hope the powers that be at the club and more intelligent supporters give him support when we hit a rough patch. 

It happens. It’s football. You sometimes lose. It doesn’t mean the club is rotten to the core and the manager is clueless.  

I genuinely believe and hope you are wrong.

Don' forget that a lot of people are idiots.

Thankfully my experience tells me that is the vocal minority.

I gave up on radio Leicester years ago apart from the drive home when I regularly shout at these idiots through my car radio.

The ground and pub before the game appear to be at odds with the negatovity I read on here which makes me happy it is the loud minority.

Disclaimer: not tarring everyone with the same idiot brush by any means, but giving them the recognition they deserve as we certainly seem to have more than our fair share.

Edited by gw_leics772
Cat radio? Really. Nokia never made that mistake due.to it being a different NUMBER key
  • Like 1

We live in an era when immediate success is not only expected, but demanded. So it takes an intelligent leadership to leave people like Claude Puel the time to build and achieve their goals. It obviously helps when you're starting from an already solid basis like Leicester did when the club hired him. But there will be some disappointments along the way, and it will possibly take a bit of faith to let the coach and his staff find the right fix for any issue that might come their way. In that respect, it is my belief that Claude Puel is among the few coaches who can adapt to shifting environments, simply because they like to think a few moves ahead. There are many more flashy managers out there, but I'm not convinced all of them have the same ability to articulate a long-term vision and put the elements in place to achieve it.

After that, who cares if Puel is personally boring? I don't think he is, because when asked an intelligent question he usually gives an equally intelligent answer. And though his English still needs a bit of polishing, I truly believe a majority of Leicester's fans will come to realize that, and appreciate the man for it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pascal said:

We live in an era when immediate success is not only expected, but demanded. So it takes an intelligent leadership to leave people like Claude Puel the time to build and achieve their goals. It obviously helps when you're starting from an already solid basis like Leicester did when the club hired him. But there will be some disappointments along the way, and it will possibly take a bit of faith to let the coach and his staff find the right fix for any issue that might come their way. In that respect, it is my belief that Claude Puel is among the few coaches who can adapt to shifting environments, simply because they like to think a few moves ahead. There are many more flashy managers out there, but I'm not convinced all of them have the same ability to articulate a long-term vision and put the elements in place to achieve it.

After that, who cares if Puel is personally boring? I don't think he is, because when asked an intelligent question he usually gives an equally intelligent answer. And though his English still needs a bit of polishing, I truly believe a majority of Leicester's fans will come to realize that, and appreciate the man for it.

Hmmmm... Pascal sounds French. Salut à toi mon vieux. ;) 

It's the same everywhere. Even when the results are good we have problems. Some people have a hard time to enjoy a simple 1-0. I'm a PSG fan since the end of the Canal+ era. I had to support my team during the worst moments of the club (Colony Capital, hools, deaths inside and outside the stadium, relegation zone, etc.). Our team is now on the top of the mountain in Europe statistically speaking. We often win by a margin of 2 to 5 goals. A lot of stars are in town, we should be very happy considering the past. Yet, you will always find half of the fanbase criticising the coach for this or that. Radio hosts are only debating about our weaknesses when we win 4 to 8-0 (I think it's crazy). Same for the fans. Actually, half of our fanbase hates Unai Emery. They tend to forget that we've never had such results before (even in 96/97). We are breaking record after record. Emery man lacks of charisma and is boring in the country of Napoleon and De Gaulle. For some French, it's a sin! :dry: The remontada didn't help (I personnally think that things like that can happen in football and that's why we love it). Too bad for him as I think he his our best coach since decades... Ancelotti doesn't even come close. Unai is doing a fantastic job at PSG and many idiots inside our fanbase can't aknowledge it. All the praises go to the players when we win. All the hate goes to Emery when we lose. That's how it is today.

The fanbase of Leicester is more local and I think they are less demanding considering the difference in terms of financial investment. Still, I see that this kind of things happens in any club. At some point, the coach is targeted for what the players or the board fail to do or can't do. So don't be surprised if the wind turns and the fanbase goes crazy after Puel. Some people will think: "if the football is boring, it's obviously because the coach himself is boring" (even if there is no link whatsoever between the two things, that's what a lot of people deeply thought during crisis in France and Southampton, so... it must repeat somewhere else).

1 hour ago, Pascal said:

Very true.  Our owners have a pretty good track record and assuming things continue to go reasonably well I'd guess they will be talking to Puel over the summer about a long term plan.  Actually they already have a  long term plan in terms of where they want us to go, so it would be agreeing on how to implement it.  Puel could turn out to be a perfect fit for the way they want to take us forward and they have demonstrated that they can be patient when things go wrong as they inevitably will do at some times.  I'm feeling quite optimistic at the moment:)

9 minutes ago, Wookie said:

He's been brilliant so far aside from playing a weak team in the League Cup quarters, hopefully he's learnt from that and plays a stronger team in the next round of the FA Cup.

The next round there are no weekday matches either side of it so I'm quite sure he'll be picking a side of just players who could feasibly make the first XI.

There'll be no Hamer, Benalouane or Barnes IMO but depending on who we draw we may still see players you might expect on the bench like Gray, Iheanacho, Diabate, etc.

7 hours ago, Pascal said:

Agreed, and it would be ridiculous for our fans to demand instant success. We got it once but we didn't get it through demanding it. Leicester are not a big club. We became famous for what happened two years ago but I think our fans need to realise that in order to ever compete, we've got to out-think these big clubs with superior budgets and think outside the box. Puel strikes me as someone who will gradually build a team further and further up and any team who has him there for a significant amount of time will be a lot healthier for it.

Give me signing a relative unknown and coaching him up to be the £30mil+ player over spending all of that money on one. A continuation of efficient management like that is the only way Leicester will ever compete at the top. A bit like what Nice did.

The last manager Southampton let go that ended up at Leicester proved to be a shocking decision by Southampton and their loss every bit Leicester's gain. I hope this is lightning striking twice, and I think it is.

Also agree that Puel isn't as boring as made out. He has a monotonous voice and does lack charisma, but he clearly knows his football and if he knows about actual football then that's probably why he's never had to resort to being a puppet in the media.

Edited by Dan LCFC
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Our French friends paint a picture of a slightly unfashionable, perhaps underappreciated gem. Sounds perfect for us. Just hope he doesn’t get poached by Arsenal when Wenger’s reign is over.

I've already had fears of this. He's a little bit like Wenger in some ways although maybe I'm just drawing conclusions to a certain thing they have in common lol 

3 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Just hope he doesn’t get poached by Arsenal when Wenger’s reign is over.

2 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I've already had fears of this. He's a little bit like Wenger in some ways although maybe I'm just drawing conclusions to a certain thing they have in common lol 

Glad I'm not the only one to have thought about this unpleasant possibility. 

CP.JPG.bdde05496b59c10e83ee7b39c9c0248b.JPGAW.JPG.9c00bbb31e347165e415994de784c017.JPG

On 26 January 2018 at 13:13, Wolfox said:

It hasn’t for me...  he was like Churchill on steroids...:P

His command of English was flakey,  but, I remember feeling serious pride when in the post West Ham press conference he came out and stated how we were going to try with all our might to win the prem...

I was moved over and the players were inspired...  I loved his little speeches

His post west ham press conference was brilliant, we'd been well and truly stitched up by John moss, Vardy was banned at a vital point of the season and we'd only just took a point due to his incompetent officiating. While 30000 people patrolled the stadium and surrounding areas with burning torches and pitchforks looking for moss, Ranieri's press conference was a masterclass, calm, funny, steely and refusing to blame the ref at a vital time when the pressure must have been immense and everything could have blown up in our face, he poured cold water on the fire and readied us for taking the premier league title.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, ZeFrench said:

Hmmmm... Pascal sounds French. Salut à toi mon vieux. ;) 

It's the same everywhere. Even when the results are good we have problems. Some people have a hard time to enjoy a simple 1-0. I'm a PSG fan since the end of the Canal+ era. I had to support my team during the worst moments of the club (Colony Capital, hools, deaths inside and outside the stadium, relegation zone, etc.). Our team is now on the top of the mountain in Europe statistically speaking. We often win by a margin of 2 to 5 goals. A lot of stars are in town, we should be very happy considering the past. Yet, you will always find half of the fanbase criticising the coach for this or that. Radio hosts are only debating about our weaknesses when we win 4 to 8-0 (I think it's crazy). Same for the fans. Actually, half of our fanbase hates Unai Emery. They tend to forget that we've never had such results before (even in 96/97). We are breaking record after record. Emery man lacks of charisma and is boring in the country of Napoleon and De Gaulle. For some French, it's a sin! :dry: The remontada didn't help (I personnally think that things like that can happen in football and that's why we love it). Too bad for him as I think he his our best coach since decades... Ancelotti doesn't even come close. Unai is doing a fantastic job at PSG and many idiots inside our fanbase can't aknowledge it. All the praises go to the players when we win. All the hate goes to Emery when we lose. That's how it is today.

The fanbase of Leicester is more local and I think they are less demanding considering the difference in terms of financial investment. Still, I see that this kind of things happens in any club. At some point, the coach is targeted for what the players or the board fail to do or can't do. So don't be surprised if the wind turns and the fanbase goes crazy after Puel. Some people will think: "if the football is boring, it's obviously because the coach himself is boring" (even if there is no link whatsoever between the two things, that's what a lot of people deeply thought during crisis in France and Southampton, so... it must repeat somewhere else).

Yep, I'm indeed French.

The point you made about charisma is valid, though it can vary according to a club's identity and the nature of its fanbase. As a Monaco fan, I was not thrilled when Ranieri's contract was not renewed and instead we saw an unknown and largely unrproven Portuguese coach take his place. It turns out that, even though he has about as much charisma as a wet sock, Leonardo Jardim turned out to be an excellent coach, well suited to the politics of the club with a clear ability to make young talents blossom. And even now, in a post-title season when Monaco is sometimes seen struggling, very few fans are calling for Jardim's head.

Claude Puel enjoyed the same type of support in Lille, and even when the team went through a rough patch most fans knew they could rely on the coach to make things right in the end. That's why I am hopeful that Leicester will give him the same environment to push his project forward in the long run. As for the fear that a larger team such as Arsenal might try to poach him, I'm cautiously optimistic that his experience in Lyon will serve as a cautionary tale of sorts. In my opinion, Leicester is a much better fit for the type of project Puel seems to be relishing. That's why I will definitely follow this season, and hopefully many more, with great interest.

• Like 2

But is Puel boring?

The fact is I doubt many of us know and he's largely being judged by some understandably carefully worded sound bites after the match on Radio Leicester or MOTD.

NP could be pretty dour and argumentative with the press yet rumour has it that he was different with the players and popular, with a supposed history of being tough but a bit of a joker when a player.

Vardy in a recent article laughingly described how Puel is very hands on, joins in training where he is still very competitive. He commented how he's still prone to sticking the odd dodgy tackle in and laughed at how he, Vardy, had to give Puel a gentle nudge off the ball. That to me doesn't sound like he's some miserable sourpuss that sits in the office on his own all day commanding respect from all and sundry. 

One face for the media, another for his team. With the mischievous media in this country I think that's probably quite wise and it's the latter face that's the most important one. I like the way he operates thus far and he seems a class act that we were fortunate to get.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Claude Puel’s “boring” interviews appear to me to be largely a result of difficulties with English, but not totally so.

Ranieri didn’t have fantastic English, either, but deployed catch phrases, pulled faces, clowned around etc and no one noticed.

Frankly, Puel isn’t paid to be a scintillating interviewee.  He is doing what he was brought here for. 

Roberto Martinez and Gus Poyet are both better linguists and gave convincing and interesting interviews after games. 

I know who I would rather have at the helm.

• Like 4