Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
winteriscoming

Name a better option than puel

8 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Something about Puel being on quite thin ice, if we hadn't got those equalisers he could've been out the door.

And if we had scored one of the goals that had hit the bar he could've been the best thing since sliced bread. 

Half empty/half full 

4 hours ago, Gerbold said:

The idea of sacking Puel already would reflect badly on the recruitment process the Club entered into - presumably rubber-stamped by the Sris. The consensus on here has largely been that they are 'honourable' and not within their nature or ethos to throw a man overboard at the first sign of trouble. The sacking of Claudio was a last resort - when it became obvious to everyone that he wasn't going to turn the tide of losses. We all hoped that Shakey would rise to the position but I suspect he was too nice a guy to exert a firm influence and too unversed in tactical nouse. It was a 'punt' on a long-term coach but it's apparent from the managerial merry-go-round that walking into a football club and taking the reins (often of a horse that's on the verge of bolting) requires a unique set of skills and Shakey just didn't have them.

I heard today on Talk Sport that the average tenure of a Championship manager is ten months! That's in the frenetic atmosphere of a league where teams are pushing like mad to get into the limelight and ample remuneration of the Premier, We're in the Premier and in a comfortable position. There's the Cup still in the offing as a potential prize. Yet, like many us on here, I've gotten used to City achieving at long last. The Premier was an amazing achievement and we did extremely well in the Champion's League. There's the nucleus of a capable team remaining. I think we're pretty well resigned to losing Mahrez but I'm concerned that N'Didi, Maguire and maybe even Jamie Vardy might be the targets for those teams with greater cachet than us - if the corner isn't turned, by the summer, in terms of establishing a nucleus of an effective squad and a concomitant string of satisfactory results stemming therefrom. The reassuring situation is that, after many years of penury Leicester are a monied club -  able to repulse unworthy bids for our players.

However, unsettlingly was the third post in on this thread, by 'Filberts lovechild', "I have heard from insiders at the club that there are a fair few of the players that strongly dislike the manager, hence some odd team selections". The latter clause doesn't make sense to me. Why would Puel pick players on the basis of whether an individual liked him or not? Fergie would laugh out loud at the idea. It sounds unlikely to me but, if a "fair few of the players...strongly dislike" him, then, unless it's pure scuttlebutt, that's a cause for concern. I'd love to know who these players supposedly are.

Although the players were offended when they were cited, by the media, as the main instigators of Claudio's destabilising, it feels as if it was a no-smoke-without-fire situation. Maybe those players who worked with Nigel Pearson believed that it was their esprit de corps, forged by Pearson and his team, that had won two titles, stuffed United, battled out of possible relegation and then won the Premier and not, in the case of the latter, an achievement brought about by the managerial attributes of CR. That's a difficult environment for any one to walk into and begin to rule. Fergie did it at United, but even Brian Clough absolutely failed at Leeds - because they were dyed-in-the-wool Revie men and wouldn't entertain anyone else as boss.

Talk was, on the 'Ian Stringer Laugh-In' on RL on Monday, that Puel was possibly using this period to assess and experiment. To say he hasn't had time enough to stabilise either his position or the team would be an understatement. But, if there's resistance to his ideas and plans then that's far more serious than the disagreements on here and the impatience of the fans at the KP. Essentially, in that situation, he has to break up that team or be the target for the dissatisfaction of the Sris. That's like walking through a minefield - get rid of Vardy, Schmeichel, Morgan, Simpson et al and keep the team in a stable position in the Premier. The question was asked on the programme as to why Simpson wasn't even on the bench on Saturday and how he might be reacting to that. There was also a comment about Maguire with a pained face, after Amartey limped off, looking over to the bench and gesticulating with open arms, which was interpreted as him asking what was supposed to be happening! If Maguire, one of the most competent of the team, is bewildered by the lack of instruction then confidence in Puel's leadership will have inevitably been affected. Looking like you don't know what you're doing is far worse than not knowing what you're doing but faking it.

I've no conclusion to reach here. The next few months will reveal where the team is going. If Puel is going to make a fist of it then he has to be strong, decisive and determine his course of action before the baying for his head becomes too loud to ignore. Football is 50% (or more) kidology. At the moment he's seems to be holding on to the tiger's tail rather than leading it on a leash. It could change on Saturday and then again it might not. I hope, for City's sake, he succeeds. If he goes, whoever succeeds him will have to be both tough and wise (but please not Dennis).

Long post pal but I guess in summary we agree that we should sack him and re appoint big nige to dish out wallops?

That Poch bloke at Tottenham looks ok. If he wants to manage a team that has proven they can handle the pressure and win the league - we’re his boys. 

On the other hand we could all just Puel together and give the bloke currently in charge of the mighty Foxes our support and a summer transfer window. Possibility?

On 3/7/2018 at 08:46, hackneyfox said:

What has Manwell said?

Who have we hounded out? I don't believe any of the last three managers to leave the club left due to fan pressure.

To clear all of this up for everyone I have this from someone who gave me some very accurate information regarding Mahrez flipping out, however I am still skeptical of the validity of it myself. He might just of got one thing right and now might be trying to push it, we will see, if we lose to West Brom and bomb out the FA cup I'd expect him to be walking if the above is correct otherwise it's clearly just hot air.

You probably need to take the impact of losing to Stoke and Southampton into account as well and it does  become a bit more believable. Quite sure a lot more on here would be a much more up in arms had we got 0 points instead of 2.

23 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Is this account real?

The delusion of some of our fans is laughable. We would just continue a cycle every 4 months or so - new manager comes in gets off to a good start, then goes on a bad run (which every manager does), these fools then question the manager, new manager comes in cycle starts again. You need stability at a club and the only way you do that is sticking with a manager who has done more good than bad. 

Yes its a bit disingenuous to leave out the intial bounce of results when he took over, but it's not so much the 11 points from the last 12 games that worries me as much as how poor the performances are...

Leicester 1-1 Bournemouth   1     

Leicester 1-1 Stoke               2     

Man City 5-1 Leicester

Leicester 1-1 Swansea          3

Everton 2-1 Leicester

Leicester 2-0 Watford           6

Chelsea 0-0 Leicester          7

Leicester 3-0 Huddersfield   10

Liverpool 2-1 Leicester

Watford 2-1 Leicester

Leicester 2-2 Man Utd          11

Leicester 0-3 Crystal Palace

1 hour ago, Gerbold said:

Yes, it was a comparatively long post. I'm pleased you took the time to read it. Regrettably, for me, you haven't read it closely enough to understand what I was attempting to convey to the reader. If you read the ending paragraph once more it states that I come to no conclusion. It also states that I hope Puel is successful. Big Nige will never return - as long as Srivadhanapradha owns the Club.

If he got the push then, Neil Harris at Millwall is doing a good job - but City might be too big a team for him at the moment though. My ideal manager would be Pellegrini - but that's a fantasy.

I believe your correspondent may have been indulging in banter, Chris. 

I enjoy the passing game that Puel has pioneered, it certainly is more progressive than the (found-out and easily defendable) AAAy-Up-And-Under. I think that only bad luck (Good Goalies and wood work) has impacted on his general philosophy.

He's had to work with what he's inherited, and maybe can fill in his gaps in the Summer - But (like Wenger) I don't see him dishing out silly money for inflated egos. Diabate springs to mind,also giving Choudhury the chance - We still have the chance to the Up-and-Under, but now it's not so predictable and the opposition cannot simply prepare for a one-trick pony.

We're safe this year, wait 'til next season to get your knives out please, let's see how it goes when he has established his processes.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Gerbold said:

Guffaws profusely!

I sat down last night and thought I'd write the ultimate analysis of Puel's situation and all I get is a single jibe for my trouble. He didn't even bother giving me a 'Confused' or a 'Haha'. Mind you, he's from Countesthorpe - the home of miserable buggers.

Still - I enjoyed doing it and surely the real point of this forum is to provoke -  which you've also achieved - although seemingly more inadvertently than deliberately.

I prefer 'encourage' to 'provoke' :)