Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the messenger

Puel

9 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Anyone who thinks the club are suddenly going to be able to get a load of players in straight away is sadly deluded.

There is a huge balancing act needed and players need shipping out before anyone is coming in, and if you think shipping Danny Simpson out on £60k a week is going to be easy I suggest you apply for a job at the club.

Think this is one of the key elements we need to consider here. The desperate rush to reward some of the title winning players with big bumper contracts was short sighted at best, though you have to praise the agents for striking while the iron was red hot. They're all going to sit and see their contracts out unless something incredible happens.

History will continue to highlight that our transfer activity in the summer of 2016 was an absolute disaster for the long-term planning of the club. It's left us with much baggage, millions wasted and, certainly for now, a handful of players on huge contracts who will be hard to shift.

12 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Anyone who thinks the club are suddenly going to be able to get a load of players in straight away is sadly deluded.

There is a huge balancing act needed and players need shipping out before anyone is coming in, and if you think shipping Danny Simpson out on £60k a week is going to be easy I suggest you apply for a job at the club.

Simpson isn't going anywhere anyway. They'll bring in a new Right Back and Simpson will be second choice.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
2 minutes ago, Aleksz said:

Simpson isn't going anywhere anyway. They'll bring in a new Right Back and Simpson will be second choice.

If it was that easy....

I think the last two games have possibly given the owners enough "light" to persist with him this summer. 

I would have thought the only way they will now make a change, is if a Benitez or similar became available.

The one area I do have confidence in Puel, is his ideas and ability to bring in decent players. This is only a hunch but I think we may have a decent transfer window with him in charge. 

I still have big concerns over his ability to get results over a sustained period, and I think his dour personality and communication is a big flaw.

If the owners back him, then of course I will give him the summer and 10-15 games to see what his signings are like and if we start the season with the intensity and consistency needed. 

The transfer window is an opportunity for him to drastically change the squad and he really needs to take that chance and I hope we see a number of players moved on and some real quality come in. If we start the season with Wes, Simpson, James and King on the bench... then he won't last! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

If it was that easy....

If the club is honestly in that much of a position where we need to get Danny Simpson off the wage bill to just bring in a new right back then it's going to be a long summer for everyone involved. I personally think you're ever so slightly exagerrating.

8 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

If it was that easy....

Do you mean that there will be some resistance from the player(s) side?

Edited by ZeGuy

Guest Chocolate Teapot
3 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

Do you mean that there will be some resistance from the player(s) side?

Yes because I doubt anyone will pay him as much as we do. And he's just one example I'm referring to.

Remember we are still paying off two managers.

8 hours ago, Col city fan said:

And for West Brom to replace Pulis with PARDEW was tantamount to footballing suicide.

Throwing out the arsenic (slow death) and replacing it with cyanide.  Suicide either way, one is just quicker.

13 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

The desperate rush to reward some of the title winning players with big bumper contracts was short sighted at best, though you have to praise the agents for striking while the iron was red hot. They're all going to sit and see their contracts out unless something incredible happens.

Benefit of hindsight regarding some performances going off a tall cliff this season. A long 100k contract for a 30 year old Vardy seemed a bit much at the time, but he's now worth twice that wage and the majority of us would be happy to extend it further. A long 100k contract for Kasper seemed like decent value when he was pulling out miracle saves in the CL just last season, now we rightfully want him binned. The new 90k contract for Drinkwater got us in a strong negotiating position to rinse Chelsea. The difficulty was that we couldn't double a few players wages and ignore everyone else.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Koke said:

If it was a choice between keeping Puel or keeping Kasper, Simpson, Morgan etc we should 100% back Puel. Having such powerful players is not a healthy way to run a club. Otherwise we sack Puel and get another manager in and these same problems persist.

And quite frankly I'm fed up with some of them. 

But it isn’t.

5 minutes ago, brucey said:

Benefit of hindsight regarding some performances going off a tall cliff this season. A long 100k contract for a 30 year old Vardy seemed a bit much at the time, but he's now worth twice that wage and the majority of us would be happy to extend it further. A long 100k contract for Kasper seemed like decent value when he was pulling out miracle saves in the CL just last season, now we rightfully want him binned. The new 90k contract for Drinkwater got us in a strong negotiating position to rinse Chelsea. The difficulty was that we couldn't double a few players wages and ignore everyone else.

No I think that's fair comment, though I think Vardy is a special case. The man was an absolute catalyst for the title win and a total phenomenon.

My main aim at the comment was around the extensions to the likes of Simpson, Morgan, King, Ulloa. Players who we should have been looking to significantly upgrade from as we capitalised from the title win. Morgan, as amazing as he is, was 32 signing a massive new deal taking him through to 35. That's not the long-term planning I want from my club.

I'm not sure why we should have been pressured into giving bigger contracts to all the players. If it was the best for the long-term in the club then fine. I'm not saying flog them all in one transfer window, but they were all under contract and we should have had some succession planning, when we just seemed to chuck money at incompatible players and the existing squad.

3 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Phil McNulty gives Puel a 5/10 and Shakespeare a 3/10 in his 2017-2018 season assessment:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44100746

Also interesting to see him predicting us finishing in 9th last summer - which we did.

Fajr assessment IMO

"Another top-10 finish but simply too many poor performances, first under Craig Shakespeare and then Claude Puel. Puel looks likely to pay the price but once again stories of Leicester players being unhappy with the manager's methods. Any chance of them taking responsibility? May be time the finger was actually pointed at them for once."

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Yes because I doubt anyone will pay him as much as we do. And he's just one example I'm referring to.

My thoughts as well, there is some of the deadwood which will prove to be very difficult to get rid of, if not impossible. 

I absolutely don't mind Simpson as back-up though. Whilst being shit forward he's still a solid defender who consistently delivers (bar his mare yesterday). Same goes for Morgan.

Now if they insist to start, that's another story.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Phil McNulty gives Puel a 5/10 and Shakespeare a 3/10 in his 2017-2018 season assessment:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44100746

Also interesting to see him predicting us finishing in 9th last summer - which we did.

Should have made a thread here, with a poll. Something like that:

"I think you'll finish 9th. Am I mad?"

Edited by ZeGuy

1 hour ago, Abrasive fox said:

He's got one year left on his deal.

He'll probably be second choice right back come August and play a few cup games and cover for the first team, it's no big deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brucey said:

I was of the opinion and I'm certain it's documented on here that the only players we should have paid through the nose for lucrative contracts were Kante, Vardy, Mahrez, Schmeichel and Drinkwater. The other six main players whilst having done brilliantly for us were expendable if they threw the rattle out the pram.

Giving the other six contracts above their ability would mean they would be harder to shift long term and I was hopeful two years down the line our big five would still be here supplemented by six big upgrades. It never quite worked out like that. :D

1 hour ago, Abrasive fox said:

Drop them and leave them to rot then. Not difficult. 

The last two performances are red herrings. Puel is an advocate of dour, slow build up possession football and will likely drag us back to that in time. I'd rather see him moved on and replaced with a manager that prefers the aggressive style of the pre-Puel era and replicated in the Arsenal and Spurs performances. A plus to this is that a highly dangerous major overhaul that many seem to advocate would not be needed, just a gentle transition of players. .

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

My thoughts as well, there is some of the deadwood which will prove to be very difficult to get rid of, if not impossible. 

I absolutely don't mind Simpson as back-up though. Whilst being shit forward he's still a solid defender who consistently delivers (bar his mare yesterday). Same goes for Morgan.

Now if they insist to start, that's another story.

I've absolutely no problem with Simpson, Fuchs and Morgan being here next season, I just don't want them considered first choice players. All three still have something to offer the squad.

I'm assuming none of these are detrimental to the club or management when I say this. In an ideal world they support the first XI but at some point next season slip down the pecking order further to some academy products and all leave on a free this time next year when their contracts are up.

• Like 2