Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfc sheff

Leicester City Vs Newcastle United

12 hours ago, bpfox said:

would like to see him go with this team. armarty could shield the back 3 and silva and ibborra could run the midfield.

kasper

dragovic                        wes                         harry

armarty      

mahraz                             silva                                                      ibborra                   allbrightom

shinij/ or diabate

vardy

Interesting lineup, but it's surely unlikely that Amarty will be thrust back into the team immediately back from injury, and in such a crucial position where he hasn't played for quite a while, in an untried formation.

If James or Amartey were fit, I would imagine Puel would play them in a 3 man midfield Iborra and silva. Vardy would play up top flanked by Mahrez and Albrighton or Diabate.  A 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 depending on how attacking we need to be.

Since they are both out, I imagine we have no choice other than playing Iborra/Silva in a 4-4-2. Though many of us would prefer Diabate or Gray in for Okazaki, I think that we may need Okazaki's defensive work to help out a weakened midfield with Ndidi suspended. 

1 hour ago, Stevosevic said:

Europa league would be a realistic trophy to win and that comes with a Champions league spot. 

As long  as we weren't in relegation trouble and got through the group stage, it should become our priority. 

Although I don't think we'll get 7th.

Yes, I understand that, that’s why I put it’s a double edged sword, I’d love to see us back in Europe but we need a far better squad than we currently have to cope with all the extra games, I do believe it’s an extremely difficult competition to win, many have tried, let’s see if we get 7th and invest properly in the team, buying the right players for the right positions.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bablemikey said:

Shinji is not the man you want when you’re trying to break down a defence. I imagine it’s extremely frustrating for the likes of Mahrez when his passing options are Shinzi or Simpson, neither are particularly adept at quick passing moves & are almost guaranteed to lose the ball. Got to be Iheanacho or Diabate for me.

shinzi is the man though when you want to help your midfield defensively.

He did well the last time Newcastle played at the King Power.

image.png.27579b8ef7f12d45718d1b625ebeda89.png

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Yes, I understand that, that’s why I put it’s a double edged sword, I’d love to see us back in Europe but we need a far better squad than we currently have to cope with all the extra games, I do believe it’s an extremely difficult competition to win, many have tried, let’s see if we get 7th and invest properly in the team, buying the right players for the right positions.

I agree. I might be in a minority but I wouldnt be too disapointed if we didn't get into europe. There's alot of games which imo will have a negative effect on our league campaign. Our squad atm isn't strong enough. I'd be happy to finish where we are now. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

It’s a double edged sword finishing 7th and qualifying for Europe, yes it’s nice to be in Europe but that comp is incredibly hard to win and is such a strain on resources that personally I’d sooner we weren’t in it. 

I reckon if you asked Puel & Dyche in private (with no reporting to the media) BOTH managers would prefer not to be playing Thursday-Sunday next season - more so Dyche and his lacking-in-depth squad. Everton were dreadful in the PL this season when they were playing the 6 Europa League group matches.

In a way, I'd like Burnley to finish 7th and Saints to win the FA Cup.

• Like 3

On 02/04/2018 at 11:17, Babylon said:

Kapser

Simpson    Wes     Maguire     Chilwell

Mahrez       Iborra       Siva      Albrighton

Diabate / Shinji / Iheanacho (none a perfect fit for our system)

Vardy

Or something a bit more radical...

Kasper

Dragovic            Wes              Maguire

Albrighton                Iborra             Silva                          Chilwell

Mahrez                                   Diabate

Vardy

The radical one for me, that’s probably the best way and strongest we can set up

Ohhhh shit!

Now I don't like to go into games fearing for the game because of who's refereeing but you just can't help it when certain ones are annnounced.

Attwell's reffing this apparently.

Controversy beckons.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, lancyclaret said:

Rafa is quoted as saying he won't be satisfield until Toon have 40 points - they could finish top half by overtaking Watford and Bournemouth (both 37 points).

I fancied Brighton to at least draw last Saturday giving us a 5-point advantage, so the win puts you in a strong position to overhaul us. I can't see Newcastle scoring but they might sneak a goalless draw. We'll probably lose at Watford (Deeney pen).

I think the winner of our game at Turf Moor will probably get the Europa spot. Maybe both teams reasonably happy with a point?

4 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

It’s a double edged sword finishing 7th and qualifying for Europe, yes it’s nice to be in Europe but that comp is incredibly hard to win and is such a strain on resources that personally I’d sooner we weren’t in it. 

i prefer to see it as a shot to nothing. For me we could play a second XI and still do well whilst concentrating our first team on the league. In an ideal world the second string get game time and still qualify through the tournament and we make a decision later in the season as what we prioritise. We will have good coefficient after our CL campaign and maybe get an easier draw. Just with the current squad as it is we could play this team in the league:

Vardy

Albrighton      Okazaki       Mahrez

Ndidi Iborra

Chilwell Morgan Maguire Simpson

Schmeichel

And this for the Europa League:

Slimani

Gray      Iheanacho     Diabate

James Silva

Fuchs Huth Dragovic Amartey

Jakupovic

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lancyclaret said:

I reckon if you asked Puel & Dyche in private (with no reporting to the media) BOTH managers would prefer not to be playing Thursday-Sunday next season - more so Dyche and his lacking-in-depth squad. Everton were dreadful in the PL this season when they were playing the 6 Europa League group matches.

In a way, I'd like Burnley to finish 7th and Saints to win the FA Cup.

Surely as a Burnley fan you'd love to see your team in Europe?

For clubs like Burnley a European run is a once in a lifetime event and beats the soon to be mundane event of surviving in the PL every season and going nowhere. 

• Like 1

This will be a lot trickier than some expect. They have a decent manager who has them well organised and they are playing with a bit of confidence. If we want to get 7th then it is a game we have to win, our approach will tell us something of whether the club and manager are that bothered about finishing 7th.

4 hours ago, Blue ROI said:

He did well the last time Newcastle played at the King Power.

image.png.27579b8ef7f12d45718d1b625ebeda89.png

Ages ago.

He scores once every blue moon and I'd like to see Diabaté starting. There is no reason we'd be cautious against Newcastle.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gerard said:

Surely as a Burnley fan you'd love to see your team in Europe?

For clubs like Burnley a European run is a once in a lifetime event and beats the soon to be mundane event of surviving in the PL every season and going nowhere. 

Not once in a lifetime...Burnley already been in Europe twice. European Champions Cup quarter-final and then the Inter City Fairs Cup (equivalent of Europa League).

Silva and Iborra surely? If we continue to play James (edit, oh yeah injured...) I'll be completely blaffled as to why we bought Silva. I could perhaps understand Amartey (if he's fit) over Silva though as he's more of a defensive midfield I think. I'd love to see Hamza on the bench. I'm not sure Shinji will help us break down Newcastle assuming they'll sit back although if our midfield is poo then Shinji could help. I think it'll be a very close match. Edit: Have Silva and Iborra and put in Shinji as midfield help and being on Diabate if Silva and Iborra are doing well.

Edited by Foxxed

5 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Silva and Iborra surely? If we continue to play James I'll be completely blaffled as to why we bought Silva. I could perhaps understand Amartey over Silva though as he's more of a defensive midfield I think. I'd love to see Hamza on the bench. I think it'll be a very close match.

It would certainly be odd to pick James, not least because he's injured.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, lancyclaret said:

Not once in a lifetime...Burnley already been in Europe twice. European Champions Cup quarter-final and then the Inter City Fairs Cup (equivalent of Europa League).

55-60 years ago.

Id imagine not many of your fan base remembers playing in Europe.

Out of interest, what do you hope to get out of following your team if it isn't competing at the highest levels and playing in Europe?

I find it mad that a fan wouldn't want their team to qualify for europe

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I find it mad that a fan wouldn't want their team to qualify for europe

Too many people have bought into the big club/media mentality that nobody wants to play in the Europa League. The reality is that the odd trophy or a run into Europe are all clubs of our size (and even up to the likes of Everton, etc.) can hope for these days. I'm desperate for us to do it.

So what if it affects league form? Our Champions League run hindered our early league form which ultimately cost us any momentum and dragged us into a relegation scrap, but I wouldn't change those memories for the world.

• Like 4

Another chance for Silva to step up and try to impress!

---------------------------Kasper--------------------------

Simpson--------Morgan------Maguire--------Chilwell

---------------------Silva---------Iborra-------------------

-----Mahrez------------Okazaki-------------Diabate----

----------------------------Vardy-----------------------------

Had to get Diabate in there. Risky at the expense of a hard working Albrighton but he has been electric in his short cameos. 

Okazaki can drop in and help Silva with some of the defensive duties when needed.