Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

Who do you want Summer 2018

7 minutes ago, OhYesNdidi said:

we could struggle next season, be 15th come November - puel goes. No chance a 'big name' will want to manage us. 

Hence why they’d want a big name manager, someone who can convince them this is the right project to join

2 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

Hence why they’d want a big name manager, someone who can convince them this is the right project to join

not investing = no progession / lose key players 

struggling next season = less desirable 

dosent make sense

21 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

You don’t have to believe me, but they definitely aren’t so sure about Puel.

I don't doubt they have reservations over Puel but the recruitment set up isn't all Puel's doing anyway. They've let him spend £60m already and most of that was when there were still uncertainty over Puel staying. They'll sanction transfers that fit the bill, Puel will likely be gone by October in my opinion.

5 hours ago, OhYesNdidi said:

not investing = no progession / lose key players 

struggling next season = less desirable 

dosent make sense

Our squad looks to be a couple of signings short of being good enough to aim for top 6. If the owners hesitate now about making those signings (or in replacing Puel, should they be uncertain about him), then they would be passing up that opportunity.

It would be too late, if they left it till January, to make up the lost ground. Equally, if they waited till Autumn to replace Puel it's v unlikely they would be able to get in a "big name" replacement, and even less likely to attract "big name" players in January. The January window is notoriously more difficult than the off-season one, in any case.

Given the owners' strong ambition to get us into Europe, it's hard to understand this hesitancy.

With all due respect to LCFC sheff, there are obvious holes in this level of purported inside knowledge from whomever informed you:

1. Why wait till January’s inflated market to do business? Not much business sense there (and which overpriced heroes will want to leave the comfort of where they are to assist a floundering club?)

2. Similarly, who will City attract as a so called “big name” manager to pull off a miracle in saving a sinking ship? Not many (if any) big names worth their salt will be atttracted to that scenario.

3. Why wait to do tomorrow what you have an inkling needs doing today? Not much sense there as prices only rise as situations worsen and windows shrink and outside perceptions grow of a club in a mess. 

If Puel is not the man, then getting  rid should/would have happened two months ago. Our owners do not seem the type prone to act only when in crisis. I do see them being more frugal and considered with transfers but this, again, conflicts with waiting until a mid- season crisis. Just doesn’t make sense and for all the same reasons your knowledgeable friend has put forwarded as reasons for pulling the trigger in January. 

11 hours ago, deep blue said:

Our squad looks to be a couple of signings short of being good enough to aim for top 6. If the owners hesitate now about making those signings (or in replacing Puel, should they be uncertain about him), then they would be passing up that opportunity.

It would be too late, if they left it till January, to make up the lost ground. Equally, if they waited till Autumn to replace Puel it's v unlikely they would be able to get in a "big name" replacement, and even less likely to attract "big name" players in January. The January window is notoriously more difficult than the off-season one, in any case.

Given the owners' strong ambition to get us into Europe, it's hard to understand this hesitancy.

It's not just a matter of signing new players, we also ought to sell a few more and send a couple out on loan. Our current squad is well oversized. Selling and buying within the Premier League is now a race against the clock, as there are only two more weeks remaining. Selling outside the league is a bit more of a relaxed affair, with the window still open until late August. But it's clear some will have to leave, also in order to alleviate the wage bill.

I don't see where this being "good enough to aim for Top 6" is coming from. Coupled to the aforementioned argument, there's still a possibility of us losing Schmeichel and other players out of King, Mendy, James, Musa, Okazaki, Ulloa, Slimani, Fuchs, Simpson, Elder, Kapustka or even Iborra in the following couple of weeks and months.

Not that all of them were crucial to past successes, but some were - which can be quite the loss in the dressing room. We're also starting off with a handful of new additions to the first team and it's going to take time for them to find their place within the organisation and for Puel's (new) tactics to come to fruition.

In that regard, I find a Top Six finish highly unlikely and but a distant dream.

I could live with finishing in between 7th and 12th place, as long as the football on show is better than what we were served under Puel in the second half of last season.

Edited by MC Prussian

3 more signings needed for me, I'd be after Pope from Burnley as a no. 1, Lascelles from the geordies and Mooy from Huddersfield.

Line up vs Man Utd:

GK. Pope

RCB. Evans
CB. Lascelles
LCB. Maguire

RWB. Pereira
LWB. Chilwell

RCM. Mooy
LCM. N'didi

CAM. Maddison

ST. Iheanacho
ST. Vardy

I CAN DREAM.

In reply to MCPrussian, yes we do need to lose some wages.

That doesn't negate the point, though, that a couple more astute signings could give us a good  chance of breaking into the top 6. In order to do that we need to improve on last season to the extent of 3 places higher up. I don't think it's unreal to suggest that we could overtake Everton and Burnley, and to aim to finish ahead of Chelsea who look to be a club in potential crisis this coming season.

I reiterate the point that top 6 finishes are what our owners have always had as their ambition for us and it seems out of character for them not to grasp the nettle when the possibility is tantalizingly close.

7 hours ago, Biggles22 said:

With all due respect to LCFC sheff, there are obvious holes in this level of purported inside knowledge from whomever informed you:

1. Why wait till January’s inflated market to do business? Not much business sense there (and which overpriced heroes will want to leave the comfort of where they are to assist a floundering club?)

2. Similarly, who will City attract as a so called “big name” manager to pull off a miracle in saving a sinking ship? Not many (if any) big names worth their salt will be atttracted to that scenario.

3. Why wait to do tomorrow what you have an inkling needs doing today? Not much sense there as prices only rise as situations worsen and windows shrink and outside perceptions grow of a club in a mess. 

If Puel is not the man, then getting  rid should/would have happened two months ago. Our owners do not seem the type prone to act only when in crisis. I do see them being more frugal and considered with transfers but this, again, conflicts with waiting until a mid- season crisis. Just doesn’t make sense and for all the same reasons your knowledgeable friend has put forwarded as reasons for pulling the trigger in January. 

In response...

point 1. Both transfer windows are now "inflated", not sure that's a big factor. 

point 2. I'm not sure about who or the quality of the replacement, it was just my general hunch based on the fact I heard the words regarding an October deadline for Puel to prove himself (Which was something that pricked my interest based on the fact a few 'ITKs' mentioned it on here)

point 3. The club is quite happy in the situation its in, many players with great resale value, we've signed a fair few in blaringly obvious weak areas and currently building a new training ground aswell as supposedly expanding the stadium; the manager could be however regarded as a weakness that can't be dealt with today or tomorrow based on numerous factors.

Also regarding Puel, I can only assume we don't want to look like a club that continually sacks managers, 3 in 1 and a bit seasons isn't good and won't likely attract the top end managers. We are not in a crisis and aren't likely to be in one; I've also never mentioned he'd be sacked in January, although of course that is possible.

2 hours ago, Fosse93 said:

3 more signings needed for me, I'd be after Pope from Burnley as a no. 1, Lascelles from the geordies and Mooy from Huddersfield.

Line up vs Man Utd:

GK. Pope

RCB. Evans
CB. Lascelles
LCB. Maguire

RWB. Pereira
LWB. Chilwell

RCM. Mooy
LCM. N'didi

CAM. Maddison

ST. Iheanacho
ST. Vardy

I CAN DREAM.

Mooy would be the dream partner in midfield for Ndidi

• Like 2

Appreciate that we have October’s deadline which begs the questions: Where did October’s deadline come from initially?  More importantly, why October?  Two months after the season begins and another two before a “hyper-inflated” transfer window. Seems odd, even nonsensical, to pull the plug on a manager at a point furthest from being able to do much about the choice of personnel he has at his disposal. What are they going to know more about in October than they do now (other than not replacing Mahrez makes us weaker on the whole)? Again, why wait to react in a far less opportune moment when moving proactively before the summer would have saved time and money, and the removed the apparent desire for failure to fuel the need to act. Not much business acumen displayed there. 

The Dutch football reporter on the Football Forum mentioned Steven Berghuis as a much better option at right wing than Jahanbakhsh.

Second-best scorer in the Eredivisie last season, just behind the Persian Prince.

Also comes with some Premier League experience.

6 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

The Dutch football reporter on the Football Forum mentioned Steven Berghuis as a much better option at right wing than Jahanbakhsh.

Second-best scorer in the Eredivisie last season, just behind the Persian Prince.

Makes a mean winter jacket but what else has he done?

17 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Wasn't he a Watford reject?

1 minute ago, Poznan34 said:

Bernard from Shaktar available on a free, if we're a winger light, only 25, seems to have done pretty well in the past. :dunno:

Not sure the reasons for his release but he's a very gifted player. I'd love him here.