Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

29 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

TV fixtures tomorrow - lets see our Christmas breaks go all over the shop 

Palace at home last year was our fixture after the work do. This year it's Palace away. They screwed us last year by making it half 12. What could go wrong this time?

I reckon Spurs at home, Chelsea away and Man City home all go to TV.

2 hours ago, Langston said:

Arsenal's Invincibles were better than last season's Man City, for me. 

Same. Unbeaten during a whole season is incredible at any level, never mind a top flight. I enjoyed that Arsenal team up until about '05 when it really started to disappear. Patrick Vieria, for me, the greatest midfielder of the PL era - he could do everything tackling, scoring, good in the air, leader...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Same. Unbeaten during a whole season is incredible at any level, never mind a top flight. I enjoyed that Arsenal team up until about '05 when it really started to disappear. Patrick Vieria, for me, the greatest midfielder of the PL era - he could do everything tackling, scoring, good in the air, leader...

Yeah loved him and really liked that Arsenal team.  He was always my number one PL player until recently, I just love wee Kante.  Bergkamp in his prime was unbelievable.  Still remember Elliott kind of just applauding him after scoring THAT hat-trick.  Arsene and Arsenal really did revolutionise the British game, it's a shame it ended the way it did for Arsene.  X

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 1

Man City for me. They didn't go unbeaten, of course, and that loss at home to Man Utd was a huge blow really as they blew the best possible way to win the league, but other than Arsenal's unbeaten record, Man City broke not far off every record last year, they absolutely wiped the floor with the league.

• Like 1

Arsenal for me. As it was some years ago people don't remember them so well, but they played football as good as, if not better than Man City. The amount of games they were 3 and 4 up after 20 minutes during their run-in in was ridiculous. Another thing going in their favour - they won the title on the first possible occasion against Tottenham Hotspur in their most hated rivals ground whereas Man City by contrast lost at home to their city rivals in the game they had to win it, which for me took a lot of gloss over their win. They also lost to Liverpool in the Champions League around the same period which gave you the feeling that though they were exceptional, they had vulnerabilities. Arsenal also went unbeaten and kept their motivation up despite already winning the league when most teams would take their foot off the gas which has to be respected.

On top of that Bergkamp, Henry, Pires, Cole, Campbell and Viera are among the very best players to ever play in our league. When they retire I have no doubt that David Silva, Aguero and Kevin De Bruyne will also be remembered in that way but other players in that Man City team still need to convince me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Corky said:

Fewer points than our title winners :claudio:

Aha, fair point! But at that period Man United were dominant and won it the following two seasons. Having the mentality, stamina and depth to go on and the two other big trophies that season does it for me. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Arsenal for me. As it was some years ago people don't remember them so well

You also had players like Lauren, Toure, Ljunberg and Pires who wound down their careers with pretty unremarkable stints in the Premier League – easy to forget just how bloody brilliant they were for Arsenal.

The Invincibles defence was absurd. Sol Campbell might be a bit weird but at his peak he and Ashley Cole walk into Man City's backline.

• Like 3

Just now, Langston said:

You also had players like Lauren, Toure, Ljunberg and Pires who wound down their careers with pretty unremarkable stints in the Premier League – easy to forget just how bloody brilliant they were for Arsenal.

The Invincibles defence was absurd. Sol Campbell might be a bit weird but at his peak he and Ashley Cole walk into Man City's backline.

I'd also argue that the Arsenal team were competing against much better sides than Man City were. 

• Like 1

Just now, SystonFox said:

Why has there been a capacity hold on spurs at Wembley this season? 

I saw they they only had 50k for Cardiff the other day?

It was on last season too. Wembley can only host so many 60k plus events each year as part of its planning agreement. 

7 hours ago, Langston said:

the fact ashley cole was apparently a massive bellend really did seem to cloud many people’s judgement about the fact that he is comfortably the best left back to have ever played the game. 

that arsenal team were unbelievable. man city last year would beat them though, for me, in a one off game. probably got a better squad, too. 

but thierry henry was just a don so yano. va va voom innit. 

20 hours ago, matty98 said:

He got 5 assists against the big 6 last season.

Where did I talk about assists?. Goals it begins with a G and finishes with a victory. :D

But ok Mahrez is great, I actually love him. He's not a Leicester player anymore so I'm just balancing the he's fantastic for City, we really miss him blah blah blah.

12 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

Man United 1999 treble winning side.

To be fair, even though I plumped for the Invincibles, when you consider what Utd did that year, and how they did it it really was fvcking phenomenal.  Amazing team.  X

5 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

the fact ashley cole was apparently a massive bellend really did seem to cloud many people’s judgement about the fact that he is comfortably the best left back to have ever played the game. 

that arsenal team were unbelievable. man city last year would beat them though, for me, in a one off game. probably got a better squad, too. 

Whilst I may not go quite that far he certainly is for me the greatest British left back ever and the greatest to ever play in the Premier League.  He was also England's best player for about 5 years too.  I always felt he got a hard deal, he was truly a wonderful player.  X

1 hour ago, FIF said:

Where did I talk about assists?. Goals it begins with a G and finishes with a victory. :D

But ok Mahrez is great, I actually love him. He's not a Leicester player anymore so I'm just balancing the he's fantastic for City, we really miss him blah blah blah.

You were using goals to suggest that he doesn't perform well against the better teams, which is bs so I showed his assists.

5 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

DT-T35DW0AEs_uT.jpg

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

DT-T35DW0AEs_uT.jpg

My thoughts exactly, even though I probably remember him more as CB. 

As brilliant as Cole was (an he was the best full back in the world), I'd still rather have Bobby Carlos in there :D