Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

James Maddison Confirmed

Surprised by the criticism of his performance today, from open play it was sone of the best stuff from hin. He was turning and running at them when possible, which surprised me he got the chance given how deep they defended. His throughball for Vardy's one on one as well was sublime, as was his interchange for Ricardo's chance early in the 2nd half I think? 

He does irritate me with his antics off the pitch on social media, but he's a kid. He's doing fine here but needs some creative help alongside him.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Manini said:

“it’s because he spends all that time on that bloody internet thing! At his age I was re-pointing the garage and tarring the drive inbetween training. Doesn’t know he’s bloody born, he should be chasing after milk floats and reading books on Dennis Law” 

100% this :thumbup:

Just now, bmouth_fox said:

He’ll have learnt a lot today - namely if your penalty is god awful and the rebound happens to fall straight at your feet, don’t be laxidaisical.

Yeah, he let his disappointment of missing it, instantly freeze his mind and didnt act quickly enough. Was a tap in, annoying.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah, he let his disappointment of missing it, instantly freeze his mind and didnt act quickly enough. Was a tap in, annoying.

He’s a young lad though with oodles of talent. So learning is a good thing.

We live in a culture that vilifies mistakes. But that fear is what holds people back, particularly in high level sports. Painful, but he’ll move on and be better for it.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

You only have to look at where we are and analyise the points we've dropped and 6th place would not have been out of our reach. I'm just amazed that some folk think that because we're not spending millions we have to settle for less. Look at the millions we have spent and what they have produced, Silva, Slimani, Musa to name but 3. How dare I think we could be more successful?

But using the same thought process , United could be ample points ahead of us. Its all Ifs and Buts.

The main point of my post was that we don't have the depth of quality to compete. We're lacking in a few positions and we'll be there. 

But over the course of a season we're a mile behind the top 6.

Bert’s onto something about the twattish use of social media. Less than an hour after today’s game both Amartey and Mendy liked the clubs ‘we lost 1-0’ post on Instagram.

This team has so much potential but they are also capable of utter banterLad idiocies that you’d expect from Tottenham and Arsenal.

Result comes first.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, don_danbury said:

one of them moments when you just knew he wasn't gonna score. i don't rate kelechi but i think he should've taken that instead.

may have been a tricky one for nacho to take, with the deafening boos from our fans as he took his run up to the ball.

let alone his likely already shattered confidence from them.

still, let's get on with the slaughtering of this player thread.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

he’s getting the gray criticism of “trying to do too much”. it’s the same criticism mahrez got. 

then you dip into another thread and the same people are crying their eyes out that we are playing ndidi and mendy who can’t create anything and keep it all “too simple”. the same people who’ve spent years crying that players like king or iborra should be trying more “fancy flicks” or through balls because simple sideways passes aren’t good enough. 

young attacking players tasked with the simple aim of creating stuff are obviously going to try and create at every opportunity.  it won’t come off every time. but when it does we’re happy. give it a rest. 

I do think Ndidi would benefit from a break out of the side though. He doesn’t look his normal self.

As long as he keeps away from penalties for a while he'll be fine. He should drop a bit down the pecking order now. We do have a lot of players low on confidence which doesn't help though...

Just like Mahrez on penalties it frustrates me. How can such a technically gifted player not put the ball in the net from 12 yards? Even Maguire looks more composed.

Maddison is probably the best set piece taker we have seen here in the past 10-15 years along with Mahrez and Gallagher. Still feel we need to do more from corners and that's not just down to the taker though

My Maguire response was not aimed at your previous post but in our squad I’d have ;

vardy

maddison

gray

fuchs

iheanacho

albrighton

iborra

mendy

genuonely all ahead of maguire. I saw someone on Facebook suggest kasper take them but I’d like to think it’s tongue in cheek 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SystonFox said:

My Maguire response was not aimed at your previous post but in our squad I’d have ;

vardy

maddison

gray

fuchs

iheanacho

albrighton

iborra

mendy

genuonely all ahead of maguire. I saw someone on Facebook suggest kasper take them but I’d like to think it’s tongue in cheek 

Vardy was off today

Maddison has had his chances

Gray yes but he doesn't have the confidence right now (so he is unlikely to step up)

Fuchs wasn't on but agree he is one of our best

Iheanacho (see Gray, confidence)

Albrighton wasn't on

Iborra wasn't on

Mendy - personally prefer Maguire over him

So I think the Maguire comment by people was in regards to who was on the pitch at the time. I personally think Ricardo would also have been a good option. I just feel a lot of players lack confidence right now, a penalty could lift them (if they score) or crush them further (if they miss).

Maddison’s penalties in his Norwich highlight videos were all very similar to Riyad’s, long stutter and try to pass it into a bottom corner.

Etheridge is a very good GK as well so would have needed to be a proper penalty.

I’d probably go Vardy (placement + power), Nacho (placement), Ricardo (power, previously was a winger) in that order. Not sure why everyone’s suggesting Fuchs, he’s awful at them.

On balance I think it was right for Maddison to take the penalty on this occasion, as he had won it, and had scored a decent one for us before. But he should be bumped down the list now. He will learn from it, and hopefully it will motivate him to make amends in the upcoming games.

Edited by brucey

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

You could see at the final whistle he was devastated, head dropped and a couple of our guys around him.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

You seriously thought we could break into the top 6?

Maybe if we'd spent a couple hundred million in a few places. Top 6 is a place money is chucked by the 50/60 million per player. 

3 very different games, 2 where we've been able to absorb and counter, 1 where 8 giants have sat there and booted the ball down field. 

Like all that money we spent when we won the league? 

2 minutes ago, Bert said:

Like all that money we spent when we won the league? 

C'mon, that was an incredible year, based off of something bigger than money. So many things fell into place for us, it was our miracle.

But for that to consistently happen you need to spend money well.

I always worry at how quickly the English press jump on the bandwagon when there's a promising young player, especially a vaguely creative one, on the scene. He's shown plenty of promise, a good return in front of goal and has plenty of talent, but there are shortcomings and neither we nor he should get too carried away.

It'd be healthy for Maddison to be working hard to maintain his place in the side right now, because physically we aren't always the most imposing side and the players who are selected for their creative qualities have to justify selection. To have Gray and Maddison in midfield inevitably requires a lot of those around them, because they'll neither retrieve the ball a great deal, nor do especially well in the 50-50s. A good example would be that, while I appreciate the difference between setting up against top six sides and (after two games in a week) against Cardiff, we have looked at our most competent this season when introducing Choudhury (nowhere need as good a ball-winner as Ndidi, nowhere near as good a ball player as Iborra) to the line-up at the expense of Gray. So even though the likes of Maddison, Gray often look like very nice players to have in the side, it's obviously at the expense of some of the hustle-and-bustle we need if we're going to harry teams.

As far as Maddison is concerned, it's a worrying stat that he's only set up one goal in open play for Vardy this season. Now, Vardy has a lot of responsibility for that too, but considering the proven nature of one player and the less proven nature of another, I think it justifies us asking whether Maddison should be one of those first names on the team sheet. I agree that he has bags of talent and has done well, but his ability to hold up possession, open up play, pick out Vardy's runs, contribute to the press are all a work in progress. In fact, I'd argue our most creative players this season haven't been any of the attacking midfielders, but rather our two full backs. 

As we've seen with Mahrez's departure, or Gray being left out for Choudhury, the loss of a player you rate for their flair and creativity isn't always a terrible thing. It wouldn't hurt to show him that he still has work to do.

Edited by inckley fox
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

As far as Maddison is concerned, it's a worrying stat that he's only set up one goal in open play for Vardy this season. Now, Vardy has a lot of responsibility for that too, but considering the proven nature of one player and the less proven nature of another, I think it justifies us asking whether Maddison should be one of those first names on the team sheet. I agree that he has bags of talent and has done well, but his ability to hold up possession, open up play, pick out Vardy's runs, contribute to the press are all a work in progress. In fact, I'd argue our most creative players this season haven't been any of the attacking midfielders, but rather our two full backs. 

Tbh I think the bolded bit is a Vardy issue, not a Maddison issue. He’s set up plenty of Vardy chances, they’ve just not been finished. Add to that Vardy has been injured/suspended/not fully fit for about half the season so far.

I think Ricardo and Maddison have been about equally creative. Chilwell slightly less so.