Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

James Maddison Confirmed

32 minutes ago, martyn said:

He was a passenger for the most part last night. He is no doubt better than he is showing at the minute, however, I'm sceptical that he can be anything more than an ok prem player/fringe international (which of course is still a decent career, but perhaps not the level some think he can get to). Those who suggest he is going to be a top drawer player, fair enough, but i rarely see anyone give reasons as to why. 

Pros - Good at finding space, good receiving the ball in tight areas, good striker of a ball, will get his share of goals and assists, clearly wants to take responsibility and get on the ball. Raw technical ability is there

Negatives - Lacks sharpness, both in terms of decision making, and in fleetness of foot. No burst of pace to make the most of the space he finds himself in. Lacks vision on the ball compared to top level #10's (which manifests itself in slowing the play down. Weight of pass inconsistent. Offers very little in terms of helping to defend from the front, due to lack of desire/mobility. Can drop far too deep to pick up the ball, only to do nothing progressive with it, disrupting our shape in the process (hence why he has reminded me of declined, midfield Rooney in recent weeks).

There is something to work with though. I think he would benefit massively from a few basic things.

1) Increase base level of fitness

2) Work on improving speed over the first 5 yards (even a small improvement would make a big difference)

3) Tactical change to stop him dropping deep.

I'd also like to see him move the ball much quicker, but accept that some of this may be down to confidence, at the moment.

Good post

Just now, Col city fan said:

Came into his own in the last 30 mins and was head and shoulders above anyone else in our team. 

We ain’t losing games due to James Maddison

Defensively we are an absolute fookin mess

Thought we had two highly rated full backs, a sought after CB in big H and Evans - oh, and Wes. Should be enough there to form a fuching coherent defence, surely. 

1 minute ago, ARM1968 said:

Thought we had two highly rated full backs, a sought after CB in big H and Evans - oh, and Wes. Should be enough there to form a fuching coherent defence, surely. 

Of course it should be. The problem is our three CB’s today are possibly the slowest in the Prem. We need to give one spot to a quicker player.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Of course it should be. The problem is our three CB’s today are possibly the slowest in the Prem. We need to give one spot to a quicker player.

Pace isn't the problem for our defence. At least it wasn't for today. They got in behind for the 2nd goal because of a shit kick out from Kasper and I don't recall where they had any big chances because of a slow defence?

They might be slow in the head, at least anyway lol 

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I didn't see any positive leadership from Big Wes today, seemed too defensive of himself producing negative leadership. Must be down on confidence with lack of playing time.

28 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Agreed. And rather irritatingly, we have them. 

I wish Maddison would release the ball that bit sooner. He takes far too many unnecessary touches, or he will go to pass it, turn, then turn again only to pass it where he should've done 10 seconds earlier. It slows the play down allowing teams to get back into shape. 

No doubt about it he has quality, just frustrating at times. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Claridge said:

We need to not go with 3 at the back again with the players we have.stupid experiment. It’s the centre mid that’s like a leaky sieve 

For me the conundrum is that our defence has only seemed solid as a back four with two defensive midfielders in front, which has then been detrimental to our attack.

More defensive fullbacks might be an option, but them attacking with pace has for me been a real plus this season. It's probably been the attacking midfielders who've not contributed enough goals this season.

The weak links today in terms of possession were Morgan and Ndidi. I can see Mendy performing better as a DM in terms of possession but I think we'd miss Ndidi's physicality. A midfield with Mendy, Maddison, Tielemans, Chilwell and Pereira would not be the most physical!

Maddison has struggled for form recently. It shouldn't be a big surprise in his first premier league season. He's had to carry the burden of being our main creative player.  It's looked like he's trying too hard  at times. It was great to see his assist on Tuesday as before that most of his passes seemed forced.

Now we have Tielemans there should be less pressure on Maddison to be the creator, though it sometimes seems to affect him the other way, that Tielemans is perhaps a threat to him? Maddison  seemed much more affective when Tielemans was subbed today.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Crispin LA said:

He not playing brilliantly, maybe it's a good thing for us, can't see him going to Spurs or Man city in the summer. 

I'd be amazed if either were remotely interested at present.

Needs to get his head down and improve his consistency, he breaks/slows far too many attacks down at the moment.

Edited by Ted Maul
  • Like 1

If he is going to kick on a level, it'll be under Rodgers as he has to add urgency to his game which I think will come. He was better today. Had either Chilwell or Morgan taken those half chances from his fine work in the last 10-15 mins then we'd have been in business.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Plastik Man said:

For me the conundrum is that our defence has only seemed solid as a back four with two defensive midfielders in front, which has then been detrimental to our attack.

More defensive fullbacks might be an option, but them attacking with pace has for me been a real plus this season. It's probably been the attacking midfielders who've not contributed enough goals this season.

The weak links today in terms of possession were Morgan and Ndidi. I can see Mendy performing better as a DM in terms of possession but I think we'd miss Ndidi's physicality. A midfield with Mendy, Maddison, Tielemans, Chilwell and Pereira would not be the most physical!

Maddison has struggled for form recently. It shouldn't be a big surprise in his first premier league season. He's had to carry the burden of being our main creative player.  It's looked like he's trying too hard  at times. It was great to see his assist on Tuesday as before that most of his passes seemed forced.

Now we have Tielemans there should be less pressure on Maddison to be the creator, though it sometimes seems to affect him the other way, that Tielemans is perhaps a threat to him? Maddison  seemed much more affective when Tielemans was subbed today.

I don’t think you can play them both together as they are very poor tacklers,especially away from home. We have Barnes as well who is still learning