Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

James Maddison Confirmed

1 hour ago, murphy said:

True.  He can be a bit hot and cold but he's a talented kid in his first season.  He is the future.  We should get behind him. 

Some of the criticism is ridiculous.  Some people saying he's not as good as he thinks he is.  So how good does he think he is?  Wannabe Beckham references and some people just seem to annoyed by the way he looks.  Idiots the lot of you.

I do wish he wouldn't jump out of tackles though.

I’m not sure what people expected him to do, his return hasn’t been bad for his first season and can only improve.

im not sure why people seem to think his social media stuff affects him as a player, that’s just a ridiculous thought to process!

Was reading a midly interesting debate on RedCafe (forgive me), found this interesting bit on Maddison

[âIMG]

Chin up James, just take off your clogs and move a bit faster.

6 hours ago, That_Dude said:

Out of reps.

Agree, the criticism is far too harsh for a 22 yo who doesn't even have a complete season in the PL.

Barnes as had about 4 games looks a world beater compared to Madison who looks 2 yards to slow at this level, and in my opinion the reason he keeps misplacing passes and getting caught in possession and going to ground all the time looking for free kicks, hope he improves not sure he will ..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FireFox said:

As a playmaker, not a ball winner 

You'll see Messi play far back in midfield too, depending on the game's situation, but that doesn't mean he's a defensive or box-to-box midfielder.

I was answering the question when has he ever been played in a two. I didn’t say he was a ball winner or DM. I just think he’s way too weak to even support a ball winner in there. Better as a 10 

49 minutes ago, Bozman said:

Barnes as had about 4 games looks a world beater compared to Madison who looks 2 yards to slow at this level, and in my opinion the reason he keeps misplacing passes and getting caught in possession and going to ground all the time looking for free kicks, hope he improves not sure he will ..

I hadn’t noticed his lack of pace until someone mentioned to me the other week. Watching tonight it really stood out at times. Just that inability to accelerate after a nice touch 

His set pieces have been poor, I'll concede that (though they were lethal in preseason). But to say he is a dreadful player is just wrong. The system we play is wrong. He is a number 10, he is not a winger like he had been played this season under Puel, or like the last 2 games, a cm in a midfield 3. You know something is seriously wrong when Maddison is the deepest of 3 midfielders like for the first goal for palace. Play him higher up the pitch so he can link with Vardy as earlier in the season they seemed to be growing a good partnership, don't have him doing the box to box work.

My biggest issue with maddison is the petulant bookings he loves picking up. Getting booked for diving, for tripping people up when he loses the ball etc, but that can all be coached put of him.

Edited by cal21212121

Think Maddisons problem is he is always looking for the sublime, he doesn't like doing simple passes, he'd rather keep the ball and turn back on himself several times until there's a spray pass he can do or something. 

Needs to realise if sometimes he'd take the simple option we'd be able to build something! Not gonna bash him too much, he's young and selfish, but with the right coaching he'll do well. 

I can't work him out yet, 5 goals and 5 assists is not a bad return and shows that he can have a positive impact but there's something missing. I'm not a fan of him being this deep lying midfield player, too slow on the ball and he doesn't drive past players, always continuously looks for free kicks which have no benefit on the centre circle. At his best when he's receiving the ball on the half turn in-between the lines where he can slide people in, like the 2nd goal yesterday. Needs to get himself in the box more, he will get more goals that away. His inswinging corners were better but his outswingers are terrible and put us on the back foot as they sail outside the box. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FLAN said:

He was much deeper than tielemans a lot of the game tonight 

Maybe, I'm not sure, but that still makes a midfield three.  I agree you can't play him in a two but then we never have.

I think that this thread may come back to haunt his big critics (not you)  within a couple of years.  Have some faith and some patience, he is gonna be a great player.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, murphy said:

Maybe, I'm not sure, but that still makes a midfield three.  I agree you can't play him in a two but then we never have.

I think that this thread may come back to haunt his big critics (not you)  within a couple of years.  Have some faith and some patience, he is gonna be a great player.

This is how I see it.

He’s young. He’s been asked to do nearly all the ‘play-making’ and I’m not gonna knock a player who at least tries something which doesn’t always come off. I remember Izzett doing this for the club and it took some time before it all gelled.

In Rodgers he’ll have a great tutor and I can see him playing him a little like Lallana.

I’ll be very surprised if we don’t soon see a real upturn in Maddison’s form and play.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I can't work him out yet, 5 goals and 5 assists is not a bad return and shows that he can have a positive impact but there's something missing. I'm not a fan of him being this deep lying midfield player, too slow on the ball and he doesn't drive past players, always continuously looks for free kicks which have no benefit on the centre circle. At his best when he's receiving the ball on the half turn in-between the lines where he can slide people in, like the 2nd goal yesterday. Needs to get himself in the box more, he will get more goals that away. His inswinging corners were better but his outswingers are terrible and put us on the back foot as they sail outside the box. 

Spot on

2 hours ago, Bert said:

I certainly think he needs to be paying under the right manager. I’ve been one of his biggest critics and do believe he’s been massively over rated. It’s clear the potential is there though and hopefully we can see him playing how he was at the start of the season for us.

Didn’t think he did too bad last night. Only thing that annoyed me about him is that he bottled every single 50/50 and even some that were 60/40 in his favour. 

Another sensible post from you Bert regarding Maddison.

But I thought he had another poor game last night, happy to see him get an assist but the amount of space he finds himself in, then he ends up spending too much time on the ball is incredibly frustrating. When Tielemans was finding space he was looking for that first time ball, when Gray and Barnes were finding space they looked to run at the opposition. Maddison gets it, looks up, takes too many touches then either gives the ball away or plays a simple negative pass.

As for the last sentence that makes him sound like another Paul Gallagher.

Edited by kingfox
  • Like 1

I think some of the criticism of him is because he gives the appearance of being a bit cocky although his involvement with the little girl with cancer shows a different side

He’s probably been the star turn in pretty much every team he’s played in since being a kid and is still only 22.

I’ve been frustrated by his recent performances and will no doubt vent about him again before the end of the season but with him maturing a bit, becoming a bit more robust and with good coaching there’s every reason to think that he can fulfil his potential 

Edited by Mike Oxlong

He comes across to me as being one of those players who's a bit full of himself (football-wise) but has the talent to justify it.

When he first came here, confidence was flowing and he did pretty well - albeit whilst settling into a new league in a team that wasn't performing to its full potential. I think that's been coached out of him somewhat - he seems more negative and less selfish in his play, particularly since his sending off in November. The 1-2(-3-4-5-6) with Mendy going backwards each time, and his reluctance to take a shot from just outside the box is incredibly frustrating when we know he's got it in his locker to do something special.

It's a strange one but he needs to start believing his own hype again. He's the polar opposite to Barnes at the minute. Hopefully Rodgers is the right man to nurture him to the next level.

But please can we take him off corners. They were awful yesterday.

Edited by Xen

World class players have the talent, know they have it, but display it without ‘showiness’. I do believe he Has undoubted ability and promise, but needs to keep working at the basics and getting those right most of the time. He undoubtedly has vision and skill but needs to display these at the right time. By the way, what was that ridiculous celebration with Vardy about?

I think in his first season in the premier league I would rate him at a 7/10, definitely room for improvement but I believe he will improve further under Rodgers, he gets criticism which is unjustified, because he is seen as a key player for us.

image.thumb.png.2b124b13c662ea348f3582018c234730.png

I didn't think he had a particularly good game again really. He's a talented player but a bit of a luxury at the minute although it's not like we're blessed with loads of creativity anyway.

I'm convinced we could coach Beckham's set pieces out of him. Feels like so few flourish here these day for it.

3 hours ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

, he doesn't like doing simple passes

He got moaned and groaned at for doing that small exchange of passes with Mendy lol

Think people need to understand the phrase 'game management'. Think about how that would piss off your opponents - not being able to get the ball and having to chase even harder while two opposition players knock it about with ease. Not to mention it buys a bit of time for other players (our own) to have a bit of a breather or find some space. 

While I agree he can try something out of the ordinary or a bit special every now and then, isn't that what expect of one of our most creative players? Isn't this what we loved about Mahrez? I won't knock him down for it as it'd be wrong to. There's so much weight on his shoulders especially with how negative we would play under Puel. Hopefully now under Rodgers that pressure can be relieved somewhat, not to mention Tielemans slotting comfortably in to the team and the emergence of Barnes in the team too. 

For a player that has been immensely criticised by his own fans this season, he's doing quite well, especially with those stats. Yeah we'd love him to assist every goal and score with every shot but that's just not going to happen. Let's just enjoy that we have a bright talent in the squad who is only going to get better over the next few years. 

• Like 1

Most of the problems he and our other players have is down to lack of experience at this level. He clearly has talent, and yes he's frustrating. But that's because we can all probably see that talent is there but it isn't fulfilled just yet. Can't wait to watch these lads develop. If we could keep Tielemans  I don't think we need anything major other than a striker to compete with and replace Vards.

He was a passenger for the most part last night. He is no doubt better than he is showing at the minute, however, I'm sceptical that he can be anything more than an ok prem player/fringe international (which of course is still a decent career, but perhaps not the level some think he can get to). Those who suggest he is going to be a top drawer player, fair enough, but i rarely see anyone give reasons as to why. 

Pros - Good at finding space, good receiving the ball in tight areas, good striker of a ball, will get his share of goals and assists, clearly wants to take responsibility and get on the ball. Raw technical ability is there

Negatives - Lacks sharpness, both in terms of decision making, and in fleetness of foot. No burst of pace to make the most of the space he finds himself in. Lacks vision on the ball compared to top level #10's (which manifests itself in slowing the play down. Weight of pass inconsistent. Offers very little in terms of helping to defend from the front, due to lack of desire/mobility. Can drop far too deep to pick up the ball, only to do nothing progressive with it, disrupting our shape in the process (hence why he has reminded me of declined, midfield Rooney in recent weeks).

There is something to work with though. I think he would benefit massively from a few basic things.

1) Increase base level of fitness

2) Work on improving speed over the first 5 yards (even a small improvement would make a big difference)

3) Tactical change to stop him dropping deep.

I'd also like to see him move the ball much quicker, but accept that some of this may be down to confidence, at the moment.

Edited by martyn
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

I think in his first season in the premier league I would rate him at a 7/10, definitely room for improvement but I believe he will improve further under Rodgers, he gets criticism which is unjustified, because he is seen as a key player for us.

image.thumb.png.2b124b13c662ea348f3582018c234730.png

Ouch, that's some case of acne there!
It's interesting how his stats read differently to his overall performances. It certainly doesn't feel like he's been THAT effective creating chances, but then, these stats probably don't take into account the qualitee of chances he's provided.

• Like 1