Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Sweden V England Quarter Final 7th July 15:00 KO

16 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

Hahaha, yeah, you're right I suppose, both sides do it. Being older, I remember a time when most English fans would support the other home nations when England weren't there. I suppose access to the 'real' views of other home nations fans via social media has pretty much ended that 

That's a fair comment. Though I can't ever see the Scots as winning at anything (see, I can't help myself either).

Anyway, good luck to you Swedes tomorrow Finners ;)

I work with quite a few England fans who cheered for Wales and Norn Iron in the euros, I told them that's fine just don't expect me to return the favour lol

Just different strokes for different folks. Fox92 gets some stick on here for having a soft spot for forest but probably more power to him for not getting all rabid over a pointless geographical non rivalry. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

I work with quite a few England fans who cheered for Wales and Norn Iron in the euros, I told them that's fine just don't expect me to return the favour lol

Just different strokes for different folks. Fox92 gets some stick on here for having a soft spot for forest but probably more power to him for not getting all rabid over a pointless geographical non rivalry. 

Much though I'd like to, I can't disagree with a single word you've said there.

Fox92 eh, didn't know that, we have similar musical tastes and I used to quite like the traitor. lol

• Haha 1

Some of you know I'm Northern Irish and I'll happily admit to used to love to see England lose.

Dont know whether its living in England , having English in-laws, age or even England's new found humility, but I genuinely would like to see England win the World Cup. 

When I watched England v Colombia, I watched it like I was watching in a way only reserved for Northern Ireland / Ireland,  cheering the England peno saves/misses and cursing the Colombians.

I'll be out for it tomorrow and will be cheering England on again. 

Plus, as an non English person, being in the country of a world cup winner on the night of a world cup win (if it does come home) would be the next best thing to actually winning it with your own country so thats pretty cool right?

• Like 3

Over here in Ireland, I've read little that's complimentary about England in the papers. This morning they said:

"You have to actually be good to win a World Cup - and that's where mediocre England fall way short"

"They beat a pub team from Panama"

And take this on board:....

"This tournament has been split down the middle, with the top half like a theatre of fine art containing Shakespeare plays and Bach music in the midst of Dali's hanging on the wall, and the bottom half a dirty hall with a bearded lady and a guy hammering nails up his nose and something grotesque in a jar"

2 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Maybe there should be an English equivalent to the 'does they mean us?' thread lol

You're smack in the middle of it mate.  How many posts since I saw something about the match?

All very educational for those of us over here with a blend of English, Scottish and Irish ancestry.  When my grandmother (Campbell, pure Presbyterian) lost a brother in the war, she didn't worry he died for the English. 

It's like us cheering on Forest against Brentford in the championship (not on the same scale, but point wise). Don't know why people get so wound up. I don't cheer for any other team from the UK unless it's going to have a major benefit to Leicester/England. I.E Wales needing to win to get England to progress etc. So I wouldn't expect anyone from the UK to be cheering on England. What does annoy me is people that are from England that have no allegiance to any country cheering against England. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bert said:

It's like us cheering on Forest against Brentford in the championship (not on the same scale, but point wise). Don't know why people get so wound up. I don't cheer for any other team from the UK unless it's going to have a major benefit to Leicester/England. I.E Wales needing to win to get England to progress etc. So I wouldn't expect anyone from the UK to be cheering on England. What does annoy me is people that are from England that have no allegiance to any country cheering against England. 

Yep, same here, although 99% of them are doing it for attention. Weirdos. 

Edited by Jack1993

1 hour ago, KingsX said:

You're smack in the middle of it mate.  How many posts since I saw something about the match?

All very educational for those of us over here with a blend of English, Scottish and Irish ancestry.  When my grandmother (Campbell, pure Presbyterian) lost a brother in the war, she didn't worry he died for the English. 

He didn't die for the English, he died for the British. 

When there's a war (a proper one) we're all (mostly) British, the Scots, Welsh and most of the northern Irish are generally pretty proud of their country's contributions to British military history. 

Welsh longbow men and Scots infantry have been winning British wars for hundreds of years. Keep in mind the Tudor dynasty were Welsh, the Stuart dynasty was Scotch. 

As much as we like to get a chip on our shoulders centuries after the fact about the oppressors etc, it's far more complex than that in reality as is the whole British cultural identity. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Team For Sweden (probably won't happen anyway)

Pickford

Jones

Stones

Maguire

Tripper

Rose

Henderson

Delph

Lingard

Vardy

Kane

We were okay at best at Colombia but still seen a lot of problems hence the changes. Gone with much more physical line up thinking of going against an physical Swedish side.  

Edited by Leicesterpool

7 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Team For Sweden (probably won't happen anyway)

Pickford

Jones

Stones

Maguire

Tripper

Rose

Henderson

Delph

Lingard

Vardy

Kane

We were okay at best at Colombia but still seen a lot of problems hence the changes. Gone with much more physical line up thinking of going against an physical Swedish side.  

Vardy is doubtful.

13 hours ago, Mayofox said:

Over here in Ireland, I've read little that's complimentary about England in the papers. This morning they said:

"You have to actually be good to win a World Cup - and that's where mediocre England fall way short"

"They beat a pub team from Panama"

And take this on board:....

"This tournament has been split down the middle, with the top half like a theatre of fine art containing Shakespeare plays and Bach music in the midst of Dali's hanging on the wall, and the bottom half a dirty hall with a bearded lady and a guy hammering nails up his nose and something grotesque in a jar"

Cuz Ireland are world  class sitting at home playing pub teams in kilkenny and ballybunion! Lol

France ,brazil, argentina, germany havent exactly been Shakespearean world class in this tournament. 

Jealousy at its finest.

Come on England!