Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

23 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Why would Savage come out and say he likes it here given he was booed everytime he returned as a player.

I was young at the time but I was at the Birmingham game when he returned and tried to get Elliott sent off, not that it means much as he was on a different team then, but I can't remember him kissing their badge.

He is very good on 606 though and makes it a good listen.

The badge kissing was at St Andrews but it was following pure abuse from the City crowd.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Strokes said:

The badge kissing was at St Andrews but it was following pure abuse from the City crowd.

Cheers. Probably why I’ve never understood that argument, I didn’t see it lol 

But yeah I’m not surprised to hear abuse first. 

On Sunday, February 02, 2020 at 14:29, surrifox said:

It’s a two way street to be fair . I don’t think many City fans hold treasured memories of his performances for the club. And I’m struggling to recall anything much of note from his career here save for reportedly taking a dump in the referee’s khazi 

I remember him having one great game, or to be precise, half a game.

I think it was League Cup semi final 2nd leg v Sunderland at Filbo 1998-99.  

We won the 1st leg away 2-1, but Sunderland were 1-0 at half tine in the 2nd leg.  They were absolutely running the show and were all over us.

Robbie Savage came on at half time, i think, and he absolutely ran around like a demented dog on speed.  He put in a real shift.  It knocked Sunderland out of their stride, Tony Cottee equalised, and we went through to the final 3-2 on aggregate.  Savage rescued that tie for us.

Funnily, he got Tottenham's Justin Edinburgh sent off in the final.  Not that it did us any good in the end.  Spurs fluked a last minute winner.

3 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

2014:

Traditional top 6 clubs start to fall into disarray.

Man Utd start spending for the sake of it.

Arsenal start hounding out their best ever manager because reasons.

Chelsea start breaking the rules with impunity. 

Meanwhile, at Leicester City:

orphaned-fox-photography-mark-strachan-p

Sky will just tell you it's the "big clubs in transition". Still not actually sure what that means. Apparently they can't say big clubs are having a bad season so it's just that they are "in transition".

Just glad the run of the same teams in the top six is likely to end after three years. Even with Man City's wealth and Tottenham being better than mid-table you've still had the likes of us, Newcastle, Aston Villa, Everton and Southampton finishing in the top six in the past ten years.

I know winning the title looks as far away as it ever has done but breaking up the self-styled elite is still possible.

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

Sky will just tell you it's the "big clubs in transition". Still not actually sure what that means. Apparently they can't say big clubs are having a bad season so it's just that they are "in transition".

The entire Premier League is in a constant state of flux.

Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea and more recently Liverpool and Manchester City have been the big clubs since it’s formation. Outside of that, others have dabbled like ourselves, however haven’t broken the mould. 

Traditionally we have a perceived big five but it’s all media bullshit for overt dramatic television.  

Edited by Sly
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

2014:

Traditional top 6 clubs start to fall into disarray.

Man Utd start spending for the sake of it.

Arsenal start hounding out their best ever manager because reasons.

Chelsea start breaking the rules with impunity. 

Meanwhile, at Leicester City:

orphaned-fox-photography-mark-strachan-p

This pictorially represents the famous comments of Vichai in the summer of that year saying “we aim to break into the top 5 in the next  3 years”. Oh how they laughed at us but we all know what happened next! And moreover what looks like happening in the future looks even brighter (in terms of long term sustainability)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Fox92 said:

I think Sky (Sports) are not a football related channel, just an extension of YouTube fishing for clicks.

The trouble is, "in transition" is taken to mean player recycling, some out, some in, and the club will be back to its previous powers.

However, the increase in specialization, professionalism and a general thoroughness across all areas of the "footballing" business (NOT the commercial sides) leads less fancies, non top 6 clubs to not just punch above their weight, but set a new level of operation.

The inherent conceit prevalent among many traditional big 6 clubs is now biting them and leading some to suffer.

Liverpool began their being bit process far earlier and are now showing the benefits of their remodel/reworking.

Well, that is what I reckon anyway....

5 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Savage may be a bit of an arse but some weird revisionist thinking going on here. He may not have been the most talented player but he was a very solid performer for us. He was pretty much an ever present for us in arguably our best ever team at the time (certainly the MON years are in our top three best teams we’ve had, even today). He may be a nobber but stating he had “half a good game” in all his time here is delusional. I loved him at the time (granted I was about 16) and he was an important part of the MON team. X 

I just think that he is a player that when he plays for you, you love him, when he leaves you hate him.

I remember him poncing around Leicester city centre in his obnoxious grey Ferrari, most laughed at him.

When he left us after 170 or so games, he joined Birmingham and kissed the badge, which was ultimate disrespect.

when he left Birmingham for Blackburn, he stated he wanted to be closer to his mum, who lives in Wrexham.

Ok then Robbie.

I remember watching an interview with Sam Allerdyce (i think) who said he was going to sign but, when he called him his answer machine had the terrible WHHHAATTSUPPP budwiser advert thing and he just hung up and never called him back.

i think he is just a little bit thick and we shouldnt pay a huge amount of attention to him.

2 minutes ago, Cujek said:

I just think that he is a player that when he plays for you, you love him, when he leaves you hate him.

I remember him poncing around Leicester city centre in his obnoxious grey Ferrari, most laughed at him.

When he left us after 170 or so games, he joined Birmingham and kissed the badge, which was ultimate disrespect.

when he left Birmingham for Blackburn, he stated he wanted to be closer to his mum, who lives in Wrexham.

Ok then Robbie.

I remember watching an interview with Sam Allerdyce (i think) who said he was going to sign but, when he called him his answer machine had the terrible WHHHAATTSUPPP budwiser advert thing and he just hung up and never called him back.

i think he is just a little bit thick and we shouldnt pay a huge amount of attention to him.

I agree with everything you’ve said but none of that is anything to do with what I posted. I don’t really pay him any attention, I’ve never once heard him on the radio but people saying he was not a good player for us is just mental. I’d like to think we’re all smart enough to be able to separate a person’s personality from their performances. X 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cujek said:

Ok then Robbie.

Think that was Roy Keane when he was at Sunderland

• Like 1

Just now, RumbleFox said:

I agree with everything you’ve said but none of that is anything to do with what I posted. I don’t really pay him any attention, I’ve never once heard him on the radio but people saying he was not a good player for us is just mental. I’d like to think we’re all smart enough to be able to separate a person’s personality from their performances. X 

you are assuming that people can remember his performances over his utter stupidness.

he was never the most skillful, quick or creative, but you could always count on him to do something, who knew what though!

he was part of a team that at the time was our most successful but by god he is a dick head :)

2 minutes ago, Langston said:

Think that was Roy Keane when he was at Sunderland

Cool, i was trying to remember who it was!

46 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

An Arsenal fan from Chennai commented on John Percy's Maddison article saying "Irrelevant player, small club" lol

Glory hunters are a plague on football. Thank god not everyone is as thick and plastic as them, there would be about 6 teams. I love reading their reasons for choosing Liverpool, United etc. 

I love that we're upsetting these "global" clubs. Fans from all over have quite literally chosen the best teams on TV and we're still better than them.

Yet since 2016, due to appear in the Champions League on more occasions than them 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

An Arsenal fan from Chennai commented on John Percy's Maddison article saying "Irrelevant player, small club" lol

Glory hunters are a plague on football. Thank god not everyone is as thick and plastic as them, there would be about 6 teams. I love reading their reasons for choosing Liverpool, United etc. 

I love that we're upsetting these "global" clubs. Fans from all over have quite literally chosen the best teams on TV and we're still better than them.

I get one idea about Man U fans from Red Café, but quite another when the transfer window is open.  That’s when the English as a Second Language brigade pile in, to state how “we” shall appropriate the best players from all the clubs not worthy of notice.

God bless ‘em, I’m sure they need their little fantasy of having status and power in the world, via identifying with a distant football club.  But they are undermining it really.  The more shirts and sponsorships Woodward can sell in Asia and the third world, the more actual wins and losses are decoupled from “performance” as the Glazers measure it. 

Those shirts the global glory hunters are buying are the emperor’s new clothes.  But they are so brand conscious, all that matters is maintaining United as a “luxury brand”.  Meanwhile the first world laughs its collective ass off at "their" club's antics.

23 hours ago, Strokes said:

To add a bit more context, the abuse was due to him trying to get one of our players sent off.

**** deserved it, at the time. But sad he hasn't let it go. Even i (nearly) have

7 minutes ago, gw_leics772 said:

To add a bit more context, the abuse was due to him trying to get one of our players sent off.

**** deserved it, at the time. But sad he hasn't let it go. Even i (nearly) have

He was abused whilst warming up lol

Yeah he was the pantomime villain but we were hardly angels.

17 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Assume they'll say the same this year given 4 of the usual big 6 are in transition? 

• Like 1