Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

Didn't drinkwater play most the last season with us injured? You can't be thrust in to a game like that when you haven't played a game for 2 years and expect it to go well, terrible management by villa, that won't have done his confidence any good. I'll always love him.

I remember in our Championship winning season a drunk sitting next to me saying over and over 'I'd shake all their hands, all of them, but not that tw*t drinkwater!!' okay mate.

Edited by Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot
Mistake

It's a bit hard to feel sorry for someone who has at least a million in the bank for sitting around for two years doing nothing but polish your Premier league medal ( something a lot of better players never won ) I'm sure he will survive after football it's all about perspective .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Have you got evidence of this, do you think Chelsea really spent £30 m on someone they know was injured.

I have said he would make our side now, just that hes had a bad run of injuries and without them he could still be the player his was in 2015/16- 2016/17 

Maybe, doesn't make he a bad player, and limited football is a bit over the top. 

They brought a crocked Torres, I would say they have form for it 

1 hour ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Didn't drinkwater play most the last season with us injured? You can't be thrust in to a game like that when you haven't played a game for 2 years and expect it to go well, terrible management by villa, that won't have done his confidence any good. I'll always love him.

I remember in our Championship winning season a drunk sitting next to me saying over and over 'I'd shake all their hands, all of them, but not that tw*t drinkwater!!' okay mate.

the guy sitting next you? pearson???

1 hour ago, TRAD-DAD said:

It's a bit hard to feel sorry for someone who has at least a million in the bank for sitting around for two years doing nothing but polish your Premier league medal ( something a lot of better players never won ) I'm sure he will survive after football it's all about perspective .

Yeah as good as he was for us I dont feel sorry for him either.

He had a choice to either stay with us or move for a bigger wage to a club he'd have little chance of getting game time at.

Given he's someone with limited footballing ability and no emotional affiliation with Leicester, I cant blame it for the move and fair play to him, a lot of people would do the same thing for that extra level of financial stability.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

He obviously believed in his own ability at the time of the move, and he and Kante won the prem together in a 2 so sure he had every reason to think he'd be a success there. Just a shame it never happened, I'm sure he had no idea quite how badly it would turn out.

I wish things would turn out badly for me on over a hundred grand a week ,I'm sure I'd learn to live with it.:D:D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TRAD-DAD said:

There's double standards though. Huth, Shinji, SimpsonUlloa and eventually Albrighton, Fuchs and Wes are all looked on fondly as they are (or will be) asked to leave the club 

Drinky - by choosing to leave rather than being asked to - made a no brainer of a career  choice to try and crack it at a big club and in Europe....and now gets the bum's rush from half our fans and euphoric schadenfreude. 

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

He had a choice to either stay with us or move for a bigger wage to a club he'd have little chance of getting game time at.

Given he's someone with limited footballing ability and no emotional affiliation with Leicester, I cant blame it for the move and fair play to him, a lot of people would do the same thing for that extra level of financial stability.

An oft quoted phrase but really?  for the vast majority of people financial security means having enough to pay the bills and a bit left over for a night out or towards a holiday (if their lucky). I know its all relative and people live to their means etc. but when you already earn over £2m p.a whats another £1m. 

I still buy my two lucky dips every week in the hope of getting "financial security" yet even a lottery win would be a drop in the ocean to some of these players

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

There's double standards though. Huth, Shinji, SimpsonUlloa and eventually Albrighton, Fuchs and Wes are all looked on fondly as they are (or will be) asked to leave the club 

Drinky - by choosing to leave rather than being asked to - made a no brainer of a career  choice to try and crack it at a big club and in Europe....and now gets the bum's rush from half our fans and euphoric schadenfreude. 

No I am and will be eternally grateful for Drinkies contribution to our greatest achievement. No doubt about it he is one of the immortals. It's just that sometimes football fans lose a bit of perspective. His career has gone down the pan but as has been said he is a very wealthy man and if he never kicked another ball he's financially made for life. I save my empathy for those who really deserve it .

2 hours ago, Nalis said:

Going off on a tangent, I wonder how easy/hard it is to blow a 5 year contract of, say, £80k a week? 

Bag of fag packet stuff. £4m a year of which half goes to the tax man. So £2m in readies each year. 

Spend prob 20% - 200k -on a sportsman's pension. 50k on2)3 nice holidays with first class travel. 50k blown on clothes. 60k on a car. Equivalent of 200k a year over course of a contract  on a house (prob brought outright) ....maybe 30k a year spunked on nights out. ....so I reckon leaves £27k a month to blow. And I reckon that could be blown fairly realistically on a bird, an agent, family members and general poor money management a few years after the contract has gone

26 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

. ....so I reckon leaves £27k a month to blow. And I reckon that could be blown fairly realistically on a bird, an agent, family members and general poor money management a few years after the contract has gone

With an online betting account, you can blow £27k in one afternoon.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, tylesta said:

At least we got money and didn't have to pay his wages before the decline!!

Personally I blame the hair. Since him and King had their hair transplants, both their careers have gone to shit. 

• Like 1

Drinkwater's sale was the only one that riled me. I'd even go so far as to say the way he engineered his move was far worse than Mahrez's histrionics.  

Both Kante and Mahrez were clearly good enough to join the teams they did and moved predominantly to win more things. Drinkwater was never in that class and moved not for a chance of playing and showing his ability in a 'better' side but moved to secure a huge pay rise - his lack of game time and disinterest in secure a loan move before this season shows that. He most definitely was not injured when he moved, his hair however was significantly thicker by the time he arrived at Chelsea having avoided competitive football for a bit. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, fleckneymike said:

Drinkwater's sale was the only one that riled me. I'd even go so far as to say the way he engineered his move was far worse than Mahrez's histrionics.  

Both Kante and Mahrez were clearly good enough to join the teams they did and moved predominantly to win more things. Drinkwater was never in that class and moved not for a chance of playing and showing his ability in a 'better' side but moved to secure a huge pay rise - his lack of game time and disinterest in secure a loan move before this season shows that. He most definitely was not injured when he moved, his hair however was significantly thicker by the time he arrived at Chelsea having avoided competitive football for a bit. 

I find it hard to hate on Drinkwater as the offer we got for him was unbelievable considering how poor he'd been for six months and rumours of him not being able to shake an injury. 

I don't really have any bitterness to Drinkwater.

He'd been with us for 5 years and we got the best years of his career. If you get 3 to 4 years out of a useful player its a good return for a club like ours.

Sad how its gone for him but that's the chance you take with Hazard and Kante around.

Took us a full season to get something adequate but no looking back now.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Fox1970 said:

If he can still hold a place in the squad when AV come to Filbo on 7th March in the League, it would be a fitting gesture, if he were to come off the bench for them as a sub, say, for the crowd to show him how much his contribution to our promotion and Premier-winning seasons is valued by us.

He may indeed be a complex character, but it would be a bit of relief for him to know that he's still admired somewhere since the car-crash of a career he's had after leaving LCFC.

if he plays against us he will be booed by our fans, almost guaranteed. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, fleckneymike said:

Agree 100%. Feel lucky to have had someone with the ability of Mahrez at the club for so long and deserved the opportunity to join a club fighting for titles every season. Drinkwater on the other hand is a pure money grabbing b*stard that ruined his career thinking he was better then he was. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Going off on a tangent, I wonder how easy/hard it is to blow a 5 year contract of, say, £80k a week? 

Bag of fag packet stuff. £4m a year of which half goes to the tax man. So £2m in readies each year. 

Spend prob 20% - 200k -on a sportsman's pension. 50k on2)3 nice holidays with first class travel. 50k blown on clothes. 60k on a car. Equivalent of 200k a year over course of a contract  on a house (prob brought outright) ....maybe 30k a year spunked on nights out. ....so I reckon leaves £27k a month to blow. And I reckon that could be blown fairly realistically on a bird, an agent, family members and general poor money management a few years after the contract has gone

I see that you’re not talking exclusively about Drinkwater but here’s my view. 

I understand that footballers become accustomed to an extravagant lifestyle but that’s all out of choice. Plenty of better players earned less than that in the 90/00s and invested rather than wasted it. Clearly plenty did waste it too. 

I’m not saying DD should or shouldn’t have left for the money. Why wouldn’t he? But throwing figures around isn’t relevant because that’s purely on an individuals choice rather than need. 

Do you reckon a much younger Tielemans spends money like that? I bet he doesn’t, he’s probably more interested in not only securing his own future financially but also his children and even grandchildren’s too.

If I was a footballer I’d probably waste a lot of money on unnecessary things too. Blowing an £80k a week (£40k-35k after tax and agent/management fees) wage would be pretty easy if you wanted to. 

I feel for Drinkwater a bit I have to admit. No matter how much he’s been earning, the guy clearly has/had demons that he has been wrestling to get under control. I certainly don’t begrudge him moving. When he left Man United he probably didn’t think he’d have the opportunity to play for one of the so called ‘elite clubs’ ever again. He probably saw it as his last chance to make it at that level - unfortunately for him, it was the wrong move and things have spiralled for him. He has undoubtedly thrown that chance away, but I’m sure there’s other things going on that we aren’t party to. We all loved that team, but it was always going to break up at some point. I certainly don’t recall many, if any histrionics from Drinks/Drinky (unfortunate nicknames nowadays!), compared to Riyads many airport trips and deadline day strike (which completely screwed us up that night at Goodison). We got a ridiculous fee for him at the right time. He took a shot, and it didn’t work out. I hope the guy works through his troubles and can get back to some form of regular football. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, DerbyshireFox said:

I feel for Drinkwater a bit I have to admit. No matter how much he’s been earning, the guy clearly has/had demons that he has been wrestling to get under control. I certainly don’t begrudge him moving. When he left Man United he probably didn’t think he’d have the opportunity to play for one of the so called ‘elite clubs’ ever again. He probably saw it as his last chance to make it at that level - unfortunately for him, it was the wrong move and things have spiralled for him. He has undoubtedly thrown that chance away, but I’m sure there’s other things going on that we aren’t party to. We all loved that team, but it was always going to break up at some point. I certainly don’t recall many, if any histrionics from Drinks/Drinky (unfortunate nicknames nowadays!), compared to Riyads many airport trips and deadline day strike (which completely screwed us up that night at Goodison). We got a ridiculous fee for him at the right time. He took a shot, and it didn’t work out. I hope the guy works through his troubles and can get back to some form of regular football. 

Thanks Danny, it all makes sense now