Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

2 minutes ago, KingsX said:

As long as Ashley owns them, NUFC will continue to think like a small club, spend like a small club. and operate like a small club, i.e. effectively BE a small club.

I don't think those third-rate "Saudi royal family" chancers would have changed that either.  That looked like smoke, mirrors, and not enough actual money.  Have they ever completed the Derby takeover?

Nope. Derby players haven’t been paid on time due to the hold up. Cue them selling the stadium to themselves again.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, car1os said:

Quite astonishing success rate really. Benkovic can still come good so essentially its only Ghezzal that has been a flop since the 2016 summer window where we bought Musa & Slimani. 4 years of top notch success rate.

Leicester’s transfer hit rate really is remarkable. The Foxes have spent just short of £250million on players in the last three seasons and 90% of that money has been spent brilliantly. Only Filip Benkovic and Rachid Ghezzal – bought for a combined £25million – could be considered transfer mishaps. Danny Ward was necessary; the other ten were inspired

Edited by Koke
  • Like 2

Big clubs debate are childish but let me  say this, whilst we aren't a massive club we are at least now a bigger club than Derby, Middlesbrough, Sheffield United, Southampton etc. 20 years ago we were level pegging with some of those, but now we are a notch above them. 

• Like 3

Guest bennytwohats
1 hour ago, David Hankey said:

The media don't see us as a successful club. The Beeb for example have a headline that blares out "Man City cruise past Chelsea to climb to 5th" whereas we get a mention further down the page under the banner of "Leicester beat Newcastle to close in on top spot". Are we the 'Millwall' of the EP?

You don’t mention the article further above the Man City one that has a quote in the headline from Rogers saying ‘Leicester can disrupt hierarchy’, which I’d say is pretty relevant to your point.

I remember the days when we were arguing with Plymouth Argyle fans about who had the better prospects when we got Holloway!

Newcastle are a big club, just massive underachievers and now run with no ambition. In the  mid 90s under Keegan they should have won something but blew it in 1996. 

• Like 2

you cant be a big club without consistently being up there . So, Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea.

What were big clubs once aren't any more - think Huddersfield Town, Burnley, Sheff Wednesday - in the days of the maximum wage.

Were not a big club o nthat basis, but absolutely neither are Newcastle

• Like 2

For years in the 2000s it was just the big 4 of United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool

The big 6 name only really came about when Spurs qualified for the CL in 2010 and Man City later joining and winning the league.

We have a league title and a top 6 finish to our name. A bit of consistency over the next few years and we'll definitely be part of a big 7 if not 8

• Like 1

Previously it was the big 5 - Liverpool, Arsenal, Man U, Spurs and Everton (late 70s and 80s I think).  I don't know how Spurs always seem to be able to get on these lists, despite winning the square root of eff all. Everton got a bit buggered by the Liverpool hooligan induced European ban. The whole thing is so transient, but Liverpool, Arsenal and Man U have very solid stakes. It's all a bit bollocks. The current big 6 are simply convenient for the telly. I want us to stay as outsiders in all honesty.

8 hours ago, midland_red said:

you cant be a big club without consistently being up there . So, Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea.

What were big clubs once aren't any more - think Huddersfield Town, Burnley, Sheff Wednesday - in the days of the maximum wage.

Were not a big club o nthat basis, but absolutely neither are Newcastle

I'm old enough to remember Man U getting relegated. They were still a massive club even then. 

The definition of a big club, amongst other things, is in the mindset of the media which influences the public. 6 clubs generate the most interest in the Sky product. They get more viewers (therefore increased advertising revenue) by featuring these clubs. 

Yesterday they decided that Chelsea vs Man City was the main event and generates more exposure. More viewers, more money. 

Edited by Spudulike

Why do we always end in these 'who is bigger' discussions? Just enjoy the flippin ride! We all remember the 00s, and I am pretty sure most football fans are full of envy of where we are now apart from fans of a very few clubs. This is the good times, so do not ruin it getting frustrated by a little lack of exposure. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Sensible Transfers: Manchester United - YouTube

Might not sound like it relates to us, but it certainly does.

Next out - Wilf?  :angry: :frantics: :mad:

Good job its just Tifo

He's a 'necessity' apparently. They are right about LCFC not being bullied regarding the fee and is he a big enough name to satisfy the tourist fans? 

Depends on his motivation but it'll go to shite for him if he goes there. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Goober said:

We're not in the title rice in my mind. Snap your arm off for 4th right now tbh. With the league as tight as it is I wouldn't even be that disappointed with 5th and an automatic spot in the EL groups.

I'm quite relaxed about the league (not being a club accountant) but a cup would be sensational (even without fans). Hope that we treat Saturdays match with respect. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

Ground extension coming too. When that happens our attendances won’t be that dissimilar. What would they have over us then? 

Not having this that Newcastle are some massive club. They’re premier league deadweight, have been for some time and the prem wouldn’t miss them one bit if they went back down. 

Dont agree. We've lucked out with an incredible owner whereas they had the complete opposite. I'd argue they had all the ingredients for a Man City style takeover before FFP came in.

They're in that Everton / Villa / Leeds bracket of being a big name but shit. If you were a neutral and had to choose between having them and the likes of a non descript Brighton, Watford or Bournemouth in the premier league, the vast majority would choose to have Newcastle. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, surrifox said:

I personally find these angry rants about respect due to the club a bit cringey. It makes the club sound a bit tin pot that recognition needs to be demanded - if it was Everton or Spurs fans ( who admittedly never win anything) calling in because they were at the top of the table and not getting praised as potential title winners we would laugh at them 

Exactly.

For what its worth, I think we're getting a decent level of love in the media for where we are in the league. Even if we weren't, who cares right?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Koke said:

Quite astonishing success rate really. Benkovic can still come good so essentially its only Ghezzal that has been a flop since the 2016 summer window where we bought Musa & Slimani. 4 years of top notch success rate.

Leicester’s transfer hit rate really is remarkable. The Foxes have spent just short of £250million on players in the last three seasons and 90% of that money has been spent brilliantly. Only Filip Benkovic and Rachid Ghezzal – bought for a combined £25million – could be considered transfer mishaps. Danny Ward was necessary; the other ten were inspired

If we are talking since summer 2016 the following would also not make my hit list:

Iheanacho 

Adrien Silva

Diabate 

Iborra 

Perez 

A couple of loans:

Bennett 

Dragovic

Wague

We have been very good in the transfer market, but still made some costly mistakes and still lack any sort of alternative to Vardy.

17 minutes ago, surrifox said:

I personally find these angry rants about respect due to the club a bit cringey. It makes the club sound a bit tin pot that recognition needs to be demanded - if it was Everton or Spurs fans ( who admittedly never win anything) calling in because they were at the top of the table and not getting praised as potential title winners we would laugh at them 

Spot on. Truly beyond me why anyone cares.

Too much attention is focussed on what Sky and BT are pumping out but if you look around the media including the newspapers we are getting plenty of plaudits and recognition especially taking into account how we collapsed last season after a good start.

• Like 4

Just now, davieG said:

Too much attention is focussed on what Sky and BT are pumping out but if you look around the media including the newspapers we are getting plenty of plaudits and recognition especially taking into account how we collapsed last season after a good start.

This.

We all know why Sky and BT constantly talk about the "big six," I don't know why supporters get so wound up about it. 

If you don't like their output, turn off.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RoboFox said:

This.

We all know why Sky and BT constantly talk about the "big six," I don't know why supporters get so wound up about it. 

If you don't like their output, turn off.

Aye, people need to look at the newspaper quotes I've posted a few posts back as an example.

I think the big difference with some of the media is when clubs like LCFC are playing crap they'll say so when it's one of the Rich 6 they'll make excuses for them.

12 minutes ago, davieG said:

Aye, people need to look at the newspaper quotes I've posted a few posts back as an example.

I think the big difference with some of the media is when clubs like LCFC are playing crap they'll say so when it's one of the Rich 6 they'll make excuses for them.

I disagree with this, I think the 'rich 6' get ripped into far more for poor performances, they are held to a higher standard, if we sunk to mid table it wouldn't be reported on or commented on much outside the local Leics media but compare that to a couple of losses for Lampard who is in the early stages of being hounded out....