Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

Just to also add to the above and @Voll Blau’s point about Leeds. One thing I was excited about when I moved here was experiencing their fan culture in and around the city and to this day I will never not be baffled at the amount of cheers that go up in the bars when Man United are on telly and they score. 

Edited by Manini

33 minutes ago, los dedos said:

As I said earlier I hate the narrative about the north east been more passionate but this is something I've not really thought about . 

Anyone live in the North east can confirm that they have less glory supporters. Does seem that way but not been up there enough to confirm. 

One thing I can confirm is most kids at football training sessions where City tops in Leicestershire a massive jump from a few years ago.  Even kids with dads that support Liverpool and Man U.:D

My sister worked in a school until recently and remarked how many of the kids are now wearing City tops. There is a new generation being spawned where its OK to be associated with LCFC as it's successful (and actually attracts some playground credibility). 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, los dedos said:

As I said earlier I hate the narrative about the north east been more passionate but this is something I've not really thought about . 

Anyone live in the North east can confirm that they have less glory supporters. Does seem that way but not been up there enough to confirm. 

One thing I can confirm is most kids at football training sessions where City tops in Leicestershire a massive jump from a few years ago.  Even kids with dads that support Liverpool and Man U.:D

I suppose to be a "glory supporter" there needs to be some glory. That has not been the case in the northeast for a very very long time. So there is a natural explanation to the fact that they don´t have them - they would be there if and when the "glory" came back.

Having spent considerable time in Newcastle and then with their fans I've got to say it's not all ots cracked up to be. I know some that are super passionate but no more than any other club really. Most are casual but theres also a large portion that routinely told me they don't care why they're shit basically. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

My sister worked in a school until recently and remarked how many of the kids are now wearing City tops. There is a new generation being spawned where its OK to be associated with LCFC as it's successful (and actually attracts some playground credibility). 

Pleased to report seeing a few youngsters with 'Vardy 9' on their backs as far north as Derby too in recent years. It's been mentioned a lot before but it's great to be finally able to take advantage of our potentially huge catchment area.

12 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

Forest were never considered a big club during the Cloughie years.Despite regular high league positions and final appearances.I know some will say that their attendance weren’t great etc etc.Compared to Leicester though they were light years ahead.Better ground and yes bigger gates+Clough was backed.They paid one pence off a million quid for Trevor Francis a full 15 years before we broke 7 digits,and that was only because we got our first P/L cheque.Forest always struggled for big club recognition because of the Nottingham bit in their name.Just like Leicester will.

Times have changed though there was no internet back so less exposure in them days and we have won the league title recently pretty much every football fan will know who we are

13 minutes ago, Manini said:

Just to also add to the above and @Voll Blau’s point about Leeds. One thing I was excited about when I moved here was experiencing their fan culture in and around the city and to this day I will never not be baffled at the amount of cheers that go up in the bars when Man United are on telly and they score. 

Obviously a different vibe from Newcastle because it's a two-club city, but Liverpool's about the only place that comes anywhere near close on this front for me.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TheStig said:

I suppose to be a "glory supporter" there needs to be some glory. That has not been the case in the northeast for a very very long time. So there is a natural explanation to the fact that they don´t have them - they would be there if and when the "glory" came back.

I think they mean plastic fans of Man Utd, Liverpool, etc. when they say glory supporter.

12 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Obviously a different vibe from Newcastle because it's a two-club city, but Liverpool's about the only place that comes anywhere near close on this front for me.

Again, local identity. Have you ever met a scouser who doesn’t ****ing bum the shit out of the city of Liverpool? I haven’t. If you’d never been you’d think it was the promised land talking to them (it’s a very cool city)

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Golden Fox said:

My memory of "Do they mean us" was being amazed that we were even mentioned in the national press. The game that really bought it home was the 1-1 draw in the league cup at home against Arsenal back in 1991... I hoovered up every newspaper the next day barely believing that we were in it.

That was reinforced in the early days of KP, when watching dodgy streams from the championship against the likes of Barnsley only because they were on TV in Thailand.

The media coverage given to Leicester City these days is phenomenal. I don't care whether we are badged as a top 6 club or a top 7 club or talked about in the same sentence, but just being able to watch every game, see extended highlights on match of the day and there being multiple stories about us daily was unimaginable when I was growing up, and I don't feel like complaining that we want more!

remember being in thailand first year after Vichai had bought us, and me and my dad absolutely buzzing reading about us in the Bangkok Post

crazy what has happened to our club

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TheStig said:

Sorry I ment Liverpool/Man u fans that are from the North East 

17 minutes ago, Manini said:

Again, local identity. Have you ever met a scouser who doesn’t ****ing bum the shit out of the city of Liverpool? I haven’t. If you’d never been you’d think it was the promised land talking to them (it’s a very cool city)

I went to a quiz one night in Liverpool. Wasn't any use due to a few drinks so gave the answer Steve Gerard or the Beatles to every question. Came second. 

I think that was one of the top jokes from Edinburgh a few years back. 

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

You see far more LCFC shirts in Nottingham and Derby these days :ph34r:

If neither of them come up and we keep fighting for Europe or better I could see that continuing, it was posted here the other day how big our catchment area is and being surrounded by clubs that are a shambles can surely help us grow.

7 minutes ago, Yes said:

If neither of them come up and we keep fighting for Europe or better I could see that continuing, it was posted here the other day how big our catchment area is and being surrounded by clubs that are a shambles can surely help us grow.

It’s absolutely crucial this stadium expansion happens sooner rather than later, honestly post pandemic I think we will sell out more and more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happy Fox said:

It could just be more people from Leicester living in Nottingham & Derby.

2 hours ago, los dedos said:

I lived in Newcastle for quite a while and I can’t recall meeting a glory supporter the entire time. It was all either Newcastle or Sunderland. It’s different from other cities. I wouldn’t however say their fans are more passionate than say a Leicester fan but I would say there are more of them so they are more noticeable if that makes sense.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Happy Fox said:

I've heard that too. But you'd have to be a complete moron to bum off forest or derby for us if you've no connection to Leicester.

In the 80s, my junior team chairman sacked off city for forest  'to watch football being played properly'as he put it. He basically may as well have said he was an SS Guard at Auschwitz when holidaying in Israel. It was totally unforgivable even then. I still detest him.now (tho he's likely long since popped his clogs) 

I think we now pinch the grey areas; Grantham, Nuneaton, Rugby ..we reclaim our lost towns like castle donington  and kegworth ....and cast our net east and south to Peterborough, Northants, Banbury and maybe even MK for that fair weather, day tripper punter

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I've heard that too. But you'd have to be a complete moron to bum off forest or derby for us if you've no connection to Leicester.

In the 80s, my junior team chairman sacked off city for forest  'to watch football being played properly'as he put it. He basically may as well have said he was an SS Guard at Auschwitz when holidaying in Israel. It was totally unforgivable even then. I still detest him.now (tho he's likely long since popped his clogs) 

I think we now pinch the grey areas; Grantham, Nuneaton, Rugby ..we reclaim our lost towns like castle donington  and kegworth ....and cast our net east and south to Peterborough, Northants, Banbury and maybe even MK for that fair weather, day tripper punter

It always surprised me that Loughborough and Melton Mowbray had some Forest supporters :mad: but you’re right those Grey areas are switching over especially Nuneaton and Rugby ( Coventry and Aston Villa predominant areas) towards Leicester City.

4 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I wouldn’t want any Derby or Forest fans to sack off their club for us that’s just weird, but nothing wrong with nicking a bit of the support from the next generation in those areas, it’s such an insult as well, look how infested Melton and Loughborough is/was with Forest, its a bit embarrassing and I think or hope it’s now mostly old blokes suffering the consequences of their actions 40 years ago.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, davieG said:

It could just be more people from Leicester living in Nottingham & Derby.

When I lived in parts of Nottingham and Derbyshire about 20 years ago, the thought of wearing a City shirt was almost suicide for me when there was still a rivalry between the Midlands clubs. The 1 Notts guy I still kinda keep in touch with can't believe how far we've come since bantering about who's better between the Student: MON and the Master: Cloughie. But he's also genuinely sad and agrees we're no longer rivals with them or Derby anymore because we're so beyond them since King Power took over and can see that we are actually a Top 6 Premier League team.

If my 16 old self heard him say that, I'd have told him to STFU and stop taking the piss.

This digital age has been our blessing as in seconds, anyone of us can whip out our phones, put YouTube on and witness Andrea Bochelli and that day. I mean his kids want to be Vardy, Barnes and Maddison etc more than whoever Forest have playing. Says it all.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

The best thing about our club is that we can all have pride in who we are as fans and what our club has achieved.

There may be a time where we become somewhat of a public enemy by virtue of our success, but we will have earnt it, we won't have bought it.

We have all suffered through genuinely tough things as fans, and we have been rewarded with a dream title win. The fact we are now challenging the big boys, having built our way up, is a phenomenal achievement and regardless of what happens in the next few years and beyond, we can all be proud of that. Deep down, anyone who has been paying attention knows that and I've not met any fans that don't respect how we are operating.

I'm sure we'll continue to gain some plastics, but in terms of fan bases we'll never be United, Liverpool or Arsenal because we don't have that historical success and Leicester is not London or Manchester. It isn't close and it never will be. Even more reason to be proud of who we are though. No-one can ever take that away from us.

Great post! :appl:

• Like 1