Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

11 hours ago, Manini said:

Just to also add to the above and @Voll Blau’s point about Leeds. One thing I was excited about when I moved here was experiencing their fan culture in and around the city and to this day I will never not be baffled at the amount of cheers that go up in the bars when Man United are on telly and they score. 

When I was at uni I watched Man City' 6 - 1 at Old Trafford in Shooters up there (absolute tip may she rest in P) with three United supporting Mancunian flatmates and it was the best time of my bloody life

1 minute ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

When I was at uni I watched Man City' 6 - 1 at Old Trafford in Shooters up there (absolute tip may she rest in P) with three United supporting Mancunian flatmates and it was the best time of my bloody life

The old girl was (pre-covid) being turned in to one of those bars which is like top golf but for darts. Still got my fingers crossed that will come to fruition. 

Leeds is full of Mancs unfortunately. Still class though. 

10 minutes ago, Manini said:

The old girl was (pre-covid) being turned in to one of those bars which is like top golf but for darts. Still got my fingers crossed that will come to fruition. 

Leeds is full of Mancs unfortunately. Still class though. 

Yeah but they don't stop running :ph34r:

13 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I think this counts. The first section anyway... 

Big Six is overplayed but its not about league position (as Adam  Hurley mentioned soon after). Its about revenue and sponsorships. Arsenal are rubbish but their revenue stream dwarfs ours. We can bridge the gap as Spurs have done in the last 6 years but Arsenal are still a more attractive destination for players than Leicester City. 

7 hours ago, Koke said:

Big Six is overplayed but its not about league position (as Adam  Hurley mentioned soon after). Its about revenue and sponsorships. Arsenal are rubbish but their revenue stream dwarfs ours. We can bridge the gap as Spurs have done in the last 6 years but Arsenal are still a more attractive destination for players than Leicester City. 

But then if the Big 6 is based on those things then mentioning results and stats against them is meaningless, because they aren't always the best in the league. I remember in lockdown 1.0 when they did those motd top 10s and they were talking about best players from outside the big 6. Shearer apparently could be included despite playing for a Newcastle side who battled for titles whilst Ginola couldn't because he played for Spurs who were very average back then. Maybe they should show stats against team who have finished in the top 6 each season. If you want to know how good a striker is, you want to know how he's doing year on year against the best teams in the league that year, not how he's doing against the team who got the biggest sponsorship deal.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 2

On 22/01/2021 at 08:48, AKCJ said:

I think that if there is one over riding trait about Vichai (and now Top) is that they learn from their mistakes pretty quickly.

One thing to note though is that, if we were to win the league again under their ownership, they wouldn't have the burden of having to show such loyalty to those that did win it because it wouldn't be seen in the same light as the 5000/1 lot.

What they did was a miracle and they deserved their time in the spotlight for achieving it. I think the club wouldn't spend so much time basking in the sun of another title win, they'd see it as a platform to improve further.

Maybe not. I’ll still spend all summer in a pissed up daze mind :scarf:lol

On 22/01/2021 at 10:24, Spudulike said:

My sister worked in a school until recently and remarked how many of the kids are now wearing City tops. There is a new generation being spawned where its OK to be associated with LCFC as it's successful (and actually attracts some playground credibility). 

This is true though it goes back well before the total win. All my kids have known is us winning, league 1, championship and premier league. I coach kids football and the majority of kids have been wearing City shirts for years. Regarding our support, we have a huge following in the county that don’t attend matches, radio listeners, armchair fans. The stadium expansion will entice some of them to attend a few matches a season, some will take memberships and others will look at season tickets.

As for the kids of forest supporters turning their backs on their parents teams and supporting us, you only have to look at our captain big Wes to see evidence of this. 

• Like 1

On 20/01/2021 at 07:40, UpTheLeagueFox said:

"Man on radio station which relies on people calling in for debates says something controversial (as he does every day) and gets loads of reactions." #shock lol

Man who is employed by media in, "admission that media is utter bullshit and offers nothing of value, just looking for $$$"  #shock :) 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, LC/FC said:

That is a great article, probably deserves its own thread in General football.

Its the arrogance of some big clubs with their entitlement, that provokes strong emotions. I find it outrageous.

1 hour ago, Kilworthfox said:

That is a great article, probably deserves its own thread in General football.

Its the arrogance of some big clubs with their entitlement, that provokes strong emotions. I find it outrageous.

Funnily enough... lol

• Haha 1

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/leicester-city-v-leeds-united-stylish-foxes-are-blueprint-whites-follow-3118235

Leicester City v Leeds United – Stylish Foxes are blueprint for Whites to follow
THOSE in the corridors of power at Leeds United would be forgiven for casting their eyes in the direction of tomorrow’s opponents Leicester City and envisaging what might lie in store for their club in future years – at least if all goes to plan.
By Leon Wobschall
Saturday, 30th January 2021, 7:05 am

It is a tantalising prospect.

Leicester are the blueprint for all aspiring clubs seeking to gain entry into the Premier League’s exclusive top table.

Their stunning title success in 2015-16 was the equivalent of gaining a party invite and acceptance.

A season of Champions League football followed when they reached the quarter-finals, only to be knocked out by Atletico Madrid.

Successive top-ten finishes were achieved in 2017-18 and 2018-19 and the Foxes qualified for Europe last season with a fifth-placed finish. For most of the campaign, they had been Champions League candidates.

Now, City – whose standing in the game was such that they were able to entice Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers back to England in February, 2019 – are right in the mix of the most open title races for years, while their reputation as being one of the most innovative and stylish sides in the top-flight is well established.

Leeds have earned kudos for their enlightenment on the pitch under Marcelo Bielsa, but being a part of the division’s elite is another thing entirely.

Leicester are some way in front of Leeds, two clubs who were both in English football’s third tier as recently as 2008-09.

A crowd of over 33,500 saw the pair play out a draw at Elland Road in Simon Grayson’s first game in charge on Boxing Day, 2008.

The reverse fixture at the King Power Stadium saw a late goal from Steve Howard put Leicester on the cusp of promotion, while Leeds had to wait a touch longer before returning to the Championship.

Chairman Andrea Radrizzani’s declared dream of Europa League football within ‘three or four years’ following extra investment after the club strengthened their partnership with San Francisco 49ers is one which is shared by Paraag Marathe, who has stepped up from director to vice-chairman at the club.

That is for the future, with Bielsa having enough to contend with in the here and now, even if Leicester may be without two game-changers in Jamie Vardy and Wilfred Ndidi tomorrow.

Sheffield-born Vardy, in particular, produced a masterclass in forward play in the reverse fixture at Elland Road in early November, which Leicester won 4-1.

For their part, Leeds – despite the scoreline – played their part by delivering a stirring second-half rally which bore comparison to their similar response in their home fixture with Manchester City in September.

They now face a Leicester side who were pegged back in a 1-1 midweek draw at Everton. Vardy was missing, but Bielsa is entitled to still recognise quality when he sees it.

Bielsa said: “In the game against Everton, they were the protagonists throughout.

“They had a spell where they circulated the ball very quickly in a very marked, offensive style. They played to try and attack.

“I think what stands out the most about Leicester is the way they combine and elaborate to attack and that’s the most dangerous thing about it.”

As for talk of them being contenders for silverware, Bielsa is circumspect and respectful of others.

“It would be too easy and I won’t be able to make a judgment on this,” the Argentine responded.

Perhaps one of the beautiful if understated values of Leicester has been the way in which a number of unheralded players such as Dennis Praet, Jonny Evans and Marc Albrighton all contribute to the team dynamic, alongside ‘superstars’ such as Vardy, James Maddison and Youri Tielemens.

It is a similar story at Leeds as well.

The likes of Raphinha and Rodrigo, both excellent in the midweek win at Newcastle, have received plaudits, alongside an international class midfielder in Kalvin Phillips.

Equally, the likes of Stuart Dallas and Luke Ayling have emerged as real unsung heroes by acclimatising pretty seamlessly to life in the big time.

Gjanni Alioski, a whole-hearted player who retains the strong respect of his peers in the dressing room, is another who has acquitted himself well amid top-flight surroundings.

The North Macedonia international, 28, who has made over 150 appearances in all competitions for Leeds since arriving in the summer of 2017, has been linked with a summer move to Turkish outfit Galatasaray, with his current deal expiring in June.

All the indications are that he is content at Leeds, certainly judging by his recent statements with contract talks between all parties remaining ongoing.

Bielsa said: “I am only one opinion in regards to the equation and evaluation of whether Alioski stays or not. First and foremost, the most important thing is that he wants to stay. I think when it comes to a player staying at a club, the most important thing is the player wants to stay. The player should choose the club; (but) the main conditions and most important thing is they want to stay. “If Alioski chooses Leeds, Leeds will choose Alioski.”

Leeds have had two Premier League games moved to night games next month. They host Crystal Palace on Monday February 8, and travel to Wolverhampton on Friday 19th.

• Like 1