Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

26 minutes ago, Nick said:

Has anybody got a link to Percy's article in the Telegraph about Leicester making the big six a big seven? 

I remembered when it was posted it said behind a 'pay wall' so searched for that. was in the Youri thread.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/01/27/leicester-turned-premier-leagues-big-six-big-seven/

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

I'm suprised how optimistic west ham fans (that I've seen) have been about Lingard. 

Other than his wage (which means absolutely nothing to West Ham fans by the way) there isn't much to worry about.

When he was on top of his game for Man Utd he was genuinely very good for them and they're missing a player that plays that role for them.

Obviously it's massive meme potential but still.

4 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Other than his wage (which means absolutely nothing to West Ham fans by the way) there isn't much to worry about.

When he was on top of his game for Man Utd he was genuinely very good for them and they're missing a player that plays that role for them.

Obviously it's massive meme potential but still.

I dont think its an awful signing or anything but I never really thought of a top half team being excited about having him. Granted he isnt a player I'd say I rate and maybe that plays into it but I dont think I've ever seen a positive west ham fan either lol

Also just realised what thread I've put this in. My bad. 

Edited by ARTY_FOX

On 29/01/2021 at 14:28, Nalis said:

He's a bit Benjamin Button, looks sexier now than he did during his playing career.

Not hard! He looked like a cross between Sloth from the Goonies and Katie Hopkins when he was playing. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, davieG said:

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/leicester-city-v-leeds-united-stylish-foxes-are-blueprint-whites-follow-3118235

Leicester City v Leeds United – Stylish Foxes are blueprint for Whites to follow
THOSE in the corridors of power at Leeds United would be forgiven for casting their eyes in the direction of tomorrow’s opponents Leicester City and envisaging what might lie in store for their club in future years – at least if all goes to plan.
By Leon Wobschall
Saturday, 30th January 2021, 7:05 am

It is a tantalising prospect.

Leicester are the blueprint for all aspiring clubs seeking to gain entry into the Premier League’s exclusive top table.

Their stunning title success in 2015-16 was the equivalent of gaining a party invite and acceptance.

A season of Champions League football followed when they reached the quarter-finals, only to be knocked out by Atletico Madrid.

Successive top-ten finishes were achieved in 2017-18 and 2018-19 and the Foxes qualified for Europe last season with a fifth-placed finish. For most of the campaign, they had been Champions League candidates.

Now, City – whose standing in the game was such that they were able to entice Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers back to England in February, 2019 – are right in the mix of the most open title races for years, while their reputation as being one of the most innovative and stylish sides in the top-flight is well established.

Leeds have earned kudos for their enlightenment on the pitch under Marcelo Bielsa, but being a part of the division’s elite is another thing entirely.

Leicester are some way in front of Leeds, two clubs who were both in English football’s third tier as recently as 2008-09.

A crowd of over 33,500 saw the pair play out a draw at Elland Road in Simon Grayson’s first game in charge on Boxing Day, 2008.

The reverse fixture at the King Power Stadium saw a late goal from Steve Howard put Leicester on the cusp of promotion, while Leeds had to wait a touch longer before returning to the Championship.

Chairman Andrea Radrizzani’s declared dream of Europa League football within ‘three or four years’ following extra investment after the club strengthened their partnership with San Francisco 49ers is one which is shared by Paraag Marathe, who has stepped up from director to vice-chairman at the club.

That is for the future, with Bielsa having enough to contend with in the here and now, even if Leicester may be without two game-changers in Jamie Vardy and Wilfred Ndidi tomorrow.

Sheffield-born Vardy, in particular, produced a masterclass in forward play in the reverse fixture at Elland Road in early November, which Leicester won 4-1.

For their part, Leeds – despite the scoreline – played their part by delivering a stirring second-half rally which bore comparison to their similar response in their home fixture with Manchester City in September.

They now face a Leicester side who were pegged back in a 1-1 midweek draw at Everton. Vardy was missing, but Bielsa is entitled to still recognise quality when he sees it.

Bielsa said: “In the game against Everton, they were the protagonists throughout.

“They had a spell where they circulated the ball very quickly in a very marked, offensive style. They played to try and attack.

“I think what stands out the most about Leicester is the way they combine and elaborate to attack and that’s the most dangerous thing about it.”

As for talk of them being contenders for silverware, Bielsa is circumspect and respectful of others.

“It would be too easy and I won’t be able to make a judgment on this,” the Argentine responded.

Perhaps one of the beautiful if understated values of Leicester has been the way in which a number of unheralded players such as Dennis Praet, Jonny Evans and Marc Albrighton all contribute to the team dynamic, alongside ‘superstars’ such as Vardy, James Maddison and Youri Tielemens.

It is a similar story at Leeds as well.

The likes of Raphinha and Rodrigo, both excellent in the midweek win at Newcastle, have received plaudits, alongside an international class midfielder in Kalvin Phillips.

Equally, the likes of Stuart Dallas and Luke Ayling have emerged as real unsung heroes by acclimatising pretty seamlessly to life in the big time.

Gjanni Alioski, a whole-hearted player who retains the strong respect of his peers in the dressing room, is another who has acquitted himself well amid top-flight surroundings.

The North Macedonia international, 28, who has made over 150 appearances in all competitions for Leeds since arriving in the summer of 2017, has been linked with a summer move to Turkish outfit Galatasaray, with his current deal expiring in June.

All the indications are that he is content at Leeds, certainly judging by his recent statements with contract talks between all parties remaining ongoing.

Bielsa said: “I am only one opinion in regards to the equation and evaluation of whether Alioski stays or not. First and foremost, the most important thing is that he wants to stay. I think when it comes to a player staying at a club, the most important thing is the player wants to stay. The player should choose the club; (but) the main conditions and most important thing is they want to stay. “If Alioski chooses Leeds, Leeds will choose Alioski.”

Leeds have had two Premier League games moved to night games next month. They host Crystal Palace on Monday February 8, and travel to Wolverhampton on Friday 19th.

Leeds are probably doing better than expected this season, but I've always found them hard to like. It wasn't just the 'Dutty Leeds' of the Revie era (and afterwards): there was always that sense of entitlement that their ownership and fans seemed to have - and still do. I know I'm biased, but while City have been been more successful than Leeds for 20 years now, I don't think we've ever been particularly arrogant about it. Leeds, on the other hand, are the club that sold Kasper to City because he wasn't good enough for them. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Koke said:

Everton forever crying that they aren't taken seriously. Easy answer lads, you are total garbage. Sometimes people say imagine if Burnley and Dyche was given a lot of money to spend, how would they look. No need to imagine. We already have a real life example of it, its called Everton.

Screenshot_20210130-223125_Chrome.thumb.jpg.02f4c3e26380ca659b9266014c2d84e6.jpg

lol

Although to be fair I started to read and at first I assumed it was one of us moaning...

• Like 1

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/to-observe-a-club-like-leicester-is-very-interesting-marcelo-bielsa-keen-for-leeds-to-follow-foxes-lead-40031351.html

'To observe a club like Leicester is very interesting' - Marcelo Bielsa keen for Leeds to follow Foxes' lead
The Whites are back in the top flight after a 16-year absence.

By David Charlesworth, PA

January 30 2021 10:30 PM

Marcelo Bielsa insists the path to meaningful progress is a long one but the Leeds head coach echoed comments made by majority owner Andrea Radrizzani that Leicester have provided the ideal template to follow.

Leeds travel to the King Power Stadium on Sunday afternoon looking to disrupt the progress of the Foxes, who sit third in the Premier League and are well-placed to secure successive top-five finishes, and three in six seasons.

Radrizzani said in an interview with The Times earlier this week, following significant investment into Leeds by the San Francisco 49ers, that he is inspired by Leicester, who as recently as 2014 were in the Championship.

Bielsa has steered Leeds into the top-flight this season after a 16-year absence and he has welcomed Radrizzani’s investment into the club, believing they are now well-placed to copy Leicester’s blueprint for success.

“The owner of Leeds is someone who has put the interests of the club ahead of his commercial and financial interests,” Bielsa said. “He has invested a lot of money in a lot of things that could have been ignored.

“He has made very important changes, in the infrastructure he’s made important contributions and those investments they’re not for the short term, they’re more for the long term and how you would envisage the club to be in future.

“Leicester is an example because they have two players per position and you don’t make this construction of a team overnight because a team that is not in the top six is forced to be inventive to be able to achieve this.

“This interpretation of the way you manage a football club has big benefits if you don’t want them as something overnight, it’s a long-term process.

“It’s the same process you use to live: if you invest and want immediate returns, it’s artificial. To have a solid process, you need investment, patience, tolerance and then you can reap the benefits.

“To observe a club like Leicester who invested £100million in a new training centre is very interesting and I’m happy that the president of Leeds United sees them as a reference.”

The patience Bielsa believes needs to be shown at a number of clubs was abundantly absent this week at Chelsea, who sacked Frank Lampard after 18 months at the helm.

While Bielsa was uncritical of Chelsea’s decision, he said: “I regret that he wasn’t able to finish this project.

“The feeling I get is that the group Lampard built is one of the best groups in English football and when you say a very good group in English football, you also mean the whole world.”

Bielsa is ambivalent about clubs becoming increasingly impatient with managers and head coaches but admitted those at the top of the pyramid are usually unaffected.

“The episode where a team can be created over a long period of time, that the improvement of the project was valued through the hard work and the support, to lose that is to lose a lot of things,” he added.

“Not so much for the most powerful teams where everything is the same because the powerful teams are in conditions to resolve any problems they come across.”

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, davieG said:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/to-observe-a-club-like-leicester-is-very-interesting-marcelo-bielsa-keen-for-leeds-to-follow-foxes-lead-40031351.html

'To observe a club like Leicester is very interesting' - Marcelo Bielsa keen for Leeds to follow Foxes' lead

They’ve been spying again haven’t they?