Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Ben Chilwell: A possible star in the making

Definitely looking much better positionally and that's his bread and butter which is good to see. His crossing and passing in the final third is still a massive work in progress. He seems to have a touch of the Danny Simpson's in he can't get that in step cross right, it comes off his boot like he's kicked it with the side of his ankle rather than off the front part of the foot.

Chilwell is going to succeed where Gray will fail. 

The interview is telling - he knew he had to improve and spent the summer working hard in order to ensure maximum success. 

Gray doesn't think he needs to improve. He is, by his own words, being held back by us. 

Therein lies the marginal gains necessary to being a complete success - something I firmly believe Chilwell will become.

Played excellent yesterday. He gets forward very directly and at pace and that has caused problems for his opposite number in all of the games so far this season. Starting to see signs of a mercurial talent showing some consistency and real form. Pleased for him and long may it continue.

8 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Quote please.

So neither of the two were in the Championship and CS team regularly. One set about working hard and using his time to improve himself - BC's interview on summer training - and one set about whinging about how he should be in the England team and is held back. 

Funnily enough one has played for England. The one who works hard. The one who has been 'held back' and blames others for his development has a rubbish goals and assists ratio and is in and out of the team. 

They are both equally talented, in my eyes, but it's pretty clear who has the positive attitude and solid work ethic. 

• Like 2

Just now, HighPeakFox said:

Ok, so we can use the past tense then, at least.

Well in the context of my comment it is present tense. BC wasn't playing either but blamed nobody and bettered himself. 

DG whined to the press instead of looking inward and has, frankly, been underwhelming. 

Those two interviews were made by players of similar talent and potential and are indicators of their attitudes. One has the mindset that he needs to work to earn his place. One is of the mindset that he's the finished article, an international without a cap, and Ranieri was wrong all along to start Albrighton.

Football isn't a 'right now' career, it's the product of hard work and attitude. Ronaldo is the prime example. Dedication breeds success. Unfortunately, Gray isn't going to be as big as he thinks he is purely because he thinks of himself as big. 

3 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Well in the context of my comment it is present tense. BC wasn't playing either but blamed nobody and bettered himself. 

DG whined to the press instead of looking inward and has, frankly, been underwhelming. 

Those two interviews were made by players of similar talent and potential and are indicators of their attitudes. One has the mindset that he needs to work to earn his place. One is of the mindset that he's the finished article, an international without a cap, and Ranieri was wrong all along to start Albrighton.

Football isn't a 'right now' career, it's the product of hard work and attitude. Ronaldo is the prime example. Dedication breeds success. Unfortunately, Gray isn't going to be as big as he thinks he is purely because he thinks of himself as big. 

You're absolutely entitled to form that opinion, but you are in danger of projecting it as facts. I don't know the 2 guys any better than you do, so I'm not willing to praise one and damn the other.

7 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

You're absolutely entitled to form that opinion, but you are in danger of projecting it as facts. I don't know the 2 guys any better than you do, so I'm not willing to praise one and damn the other.

Correct. I don't know them. But really you can't ever get inside anyone's head. 

That being said the career trajectory and performances on the pitch, coupled with what I do know of them publicly, do paint the picture I've described. This is obviously subjective, though. I'm sure some Leicester fans think Grey the better player. 

It's worth mentioning that I haven't ever approached players like some do - with pre-concieved ideas and judgements. 

Certainly getting better. In previous seasons, when I saw his name on the team sheet, I'd be like

giphy.gif

Whereas now, I'm currently at about:

8edc0e66aa1c64708bfce9e5e8d8638f.gif 

Which is a big improvement. Not the complete package just yet, and his delivery needs work (he's no peak Fuchs), but I'm starting to see that he has the potential to be great, if he continues to keep improving at his current rate then we'll have a quality player on our hands.

Edited by Charl91