Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Ben Chilwell: A possible star in the making

5 hours ago, Lovejoy said:

I find this a bit strange, Fuchs really isn't that good a defender. Rash slides, poor in the air and a real lack of pace. Where Fuchs excels is his delivery.

Fuchs isn't a good defender?? Quite the contrary, Fuchs is a very good left back. His positioning is excellent and his ability to stop crosses is good. He's a good tackler as well a good solid all round defender. He also has a killer cross and shot on him. The year we would  the league and the season after he was  Mr consistent and knows how to deal with fast aattackers. Yes he made mistakes, but to say he really isn't a good defender is a bit harsh, but that's your opinion. 

I think you may have forgotten about Ryan McGivern. 

Edited by fox_favourite
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, funkyrobot said:

Don’t agree with that sorry. Fuchs has been a quality defender for us.

11 hours ago, fox_favourite said:

Fuchs isn't a good defender?? Quite the contrary, Fuchs is a very good left back. His positioning is excellent and his ability to stop crosses is good. He's a good tackler as well a good solid all round defender. He also has a killer cross and shot on him. The year we would  the league and the season after he was  Mr consistent and knows how to deal with fast aattackers. Yes he made mistakes, but to say he really isn't a good defender is a bit harsh, but that's your opinion. 

I think you may have forgotten about Ryan McGivern. 

Ah, don't get me wrong, he was excellent in 15/16. But that's what he's being held up as. I stick firmly to my point based on the here and now and over the past two and a half years he's badly declined. Given our back four no longer camp on the edge of the 18 yard box, he can't hack it. I love the way he has a worldie in his locker but let's be honest, he's nowhere near as capable as the player of 15/16.

On 09/09/2018 at 14:10, Lovejoy said:

I find this a bit strange, Fuchs really isn't that good a defender. Rash slides, poor in the air and a real lack of pace. Where Fuchs excels is his delivery.

He's lost half a yard (at least) of pace and isn't what he was, but he was the best LB in the league the year we won it. I remember saying at the time that I couldn't remember him getting skinned all season, and I wasn't exaggerating. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy said:

true, but his performances dropped off a cliff the next season but people still judge the Fuchs/Chilwell competition as if it was title winning Fuchs which it wasn't and hadn't been for a year or more

Exactly. Whenever Fuchs was at fault for a goal last season he didn't get anywhere near the hammering Chilwell got. 

Edited by BenTheFox
  • Like 2

Fuchs worst game was that 0-3 home defeat to Man Utd. He was terrible most of that season but that game was the pinnacle of how bad he had become. 

I love Fuchs but he did get an easy ride on here despite his diabolical mistakes. Understandably so as he is a club legend. .

• Like 2

Leicester City's Ben Chilwell reacts Chilwell has caught the eye of a number of top clubs, including TottenhamCredit: Reuters

Tottenham Hotspur are keeping tabs on left-back Ben Chilwell, who was handed his first England senior call-up on Sunday, and are lining up a January bid for Ajax midfielder Frenkie De Jong.

Chilwell is part of England manager Gareth Southgate’s squad for Tuesday night’s friendly against Switzerland after being promoted from the Under-21s.

He has played in all four of Leicester City’s Premier League games this season and has been on the radar of top clubs for a number of years.

Arsenal and Liverpool both had bids for Chilwell rejected before he had even made his first-team debut for Leicester against Spurs in January 2016.

Tottenham are now tracking the progress of Chilwell, although any potential bid for the player is likely to wait until next summer when he will have two years left on his Leicester contract.

Chilwell trains with club team-mate Harry Maguire after being called into the England squad Credit: Getty Images

Danny Rose is set to start ahead of Chilwell against Switzerland at the King Power Stadium, but the 28-year-old’s long-term Spurs future remains unclear.

Tottenham also have Wales international Ben Davies, but they are preparing to try to strengthen their left side and have also been watching Fulham’s Ryan Sessegnon for some time.

Having missed out on Aston Villa’s Jack Grealish and not signed a single player this summer, Spurs could make a January offer for 21-year De Jong in the January transfer window.

Dutch midfielder Frenkie De Jong could be a January transfer target for Spurs Credit: Reuters

De Jong played the second half of Holland’s victory over Peru last Thursday and is rated as one of the best prospects in Dutch football.

Manager Mauricio Pochettino remains keen to strengthen his midfield options if Tottenham can find the right player, particularly with Mousa Dembele now in the final 12 months of his contract.

Pochettino is sweating on the fitness of Dele Alli ahead of Saturday’s Premier League match against Liverpool after the 22-year-old was forced to withdraw from the England squad with a muscle strain.

Alli was still said to be hopeful of facing Liverpool, but Pochettino and Tottenham were waiting on the results of a scan on Monday.

Edited by Ian Nacho

At Spurs he would actually develop a lot under Poch. Look how good Rose and Walker became under him. Puel has already improved Chilwell but I think Pochettino would do it even more.

That said, Spurs are tight bastards. They won't pay what we require.

He comes across well in that article.  When you think of our history, as much as we love the club and as much as we have had some good teams, up until we won the league we know we're a bit of a shit team.  I mean, I love that we are and I love Leicester as much as anyone but we are a middling, up and down team with a few bits of magic sprinkled over the years like about 50 % of teams in England.  We have never really been truly elite and never truly shit.  I think we have been one of the most exciting teams to follow in recent years, even before the miracle season but we would be kidding if we said we have consistently been a great team.  Anyhoo, what I am saying is I don't think we have ever been in a position of potential quite like we are now to kick on a bit.  Three players in the England squad all 25 or under and a first team filled with youth and potential.  Our owners are rich but also seem to be planning for a sustainable future and when they do make mistakes they seem to learn from them.  Of course we could get relegated and go to absolute shit but we are in a good place right now and I wish folk would appreciate it a little more than they seem to sometimes.  X

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 1