Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

City break recommendations

11 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

same. used it several times with no issues - very welcoming hosts who've met us as we've arrived and seen us off as we've left to confirm everything is as it should be. 

same as anything - use it with a bit of care and it'll do you well. 

Used it in London a few months back and the host was sleeping on his sofa as we let ourselves in. Very surreal moment but he bought us some beers to apologize for whatever reason. 

Bruges is a must. Absolutely lovely city. Short hop on the Eurostar, last time we went it was about 2.5 hours door to door from St. Pancras. It won't be as busy in February as the more temperate months.

Second Praha vote here. I've been more than a few times, always at Christmas. There's something wonderful about the place in the winter, lovely city, great culture and architecture, loads of fantastic food and again, if you like a drink you're spoiled for choice.

4 minutes ago, bovril said:

What about a smaller city in Italy? Perugia, Bologna, Palermo, Genoa, Turin, Verona all have flights from Stansted. Perugia's really beautiful and the region is worth exploring. 

I would do Bologna and Parma if you like grub. The two unrivalled gastronomic capitals of Italy, and an hour away from one another.

(Most of my trips revolve around eating and drinking if you hadn't noticed)

4 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

I would do Bologna and Parma if you like grub. The two unrivalled gastronomic capitals of Italy, and an hour away from one another.

(Most of my trips revolve around eating and drinking if you hadn't noticed)

I'm not even a great fan of Italian food but this is an absolute must for me. Modena between the two as well for Massimo's restaurant and some car stuff.

got back from lisbon last week, great gaff. dunno what it’s like in the winter though. 

can kinda agree on the much of a muchness thing though. all the places i’ve been have been great, just pick the right price/distance away etc and book it. 

oh and airbnb is great. 

I would also suggest Budapest. I went for my birthday last year, really is an incredible place. Dirt cheap too, buy a week pass for public transport (tram/bus/train) and you're sorted, costs next to nothing. Such a spectacular place.

I always stay airbnb as well. Never had a problem, always been exceptional. Obviously look out for dodgy listings by reading reviews etc, but you would do that for hotels anyway. Get some incredible flats in amazing locations, really cheap. In Budapest I broke something quite extensive in the flat, contacted the owner straight away offering to pay to fix it, he came round and just said don't worry about it. Gave me a great guest review after.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Kopic said:

I would also suggest Budapest. I went for my birthday last year, really is an incredible place. Dirt cheap too, buy a week pass for public transport (tram/bus/train) and you're sorted, costs next to nothing. Such a spectacular place.

I always stay airbnb as well. Never had a problem, always been exceptional. Obviously look out for dodgy listings by reading reviews etc, but you would do that for hotels anyway. Get some incredible flats in amazing locations, really cheap. In Budapest I broke something quite extensive in the flat, contacted the owner straight away offering to pay to fix it, he came round and just said don't worry about it. Gave me a great guest review after.

Think we’re sold on Budapest to be honest. Looks amazing!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

Thanks, I’d be happy to go somewhere cold, she might take convincing lol

If she wants to go away in February though she ain’t gonna get anywhere too hot

Isn’t somewhere cold EXACTLY where you want to take her?

She won’t want to leave the warm, cosy hotel room...

:thumbup: if you get my drift...

33 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Think we’re sold on Budapest to be honest. Looks amazing!

budapest is great. will need to be a long weekend to discover it all though i’d say. don’t think a couple of days is enough. 

29 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Would a week be too much in your opinion

A week would be pushing it a bit if you're just doing a quick tour of the city. I'd say 4 days is about right for Budapest, maybe 5. I'd absolutely recommend a chill day at Rudas baths though. Best bath house I've been to hands down. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Would a week be too much in your opinion

yeah probably, friday-monday or monday-friday or something would be ideal. we did 3 days and it felt a bit like we’d rushed it. 

as above if you find youre there for a bit too long you can just spend about 3 days straight in the baths. 

• Thanks 1

never had a problem with Airbnb. Always had good experience with it and have used it several times. Most recently in Edinburgh. Just gotta do a bit of research and take some time in reading the reviews about the host/accommodation and you can make a good judgment from that on who you're dealing with.

In terms of places to go, not read through the whole thread so apologies if they've been recommended before - Prague, Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia, Paris, Amsterdam, Milan, Rome, Valletta, Porto, Lisbon, Berlin - may seem a bit mainstream but bound to be nice places either in or around those named; similar to what you do with airbnb - a bit of research and relying on recommendations and in most cases you can't go wrong :) 

Rome is fantastic: history, architecture, food, people, transport, also very manic in high season but I imagine Feb will be easier on your nerves and your pocket. 

We've been twice. Once in March, which was really nice; not too hot or busy and again a few years later in July. My God that was hot, oppressive, overcrowded and not that pleasant.

We went to Barca in spring and that was lovely too. Been to Prague, Krakow (cheap), Budapest (even cheaper but grubby), Paris, Amsterdam too, but for me, Rome or Barca.

PS. I would never use Airbnb after I read reports of secret filming in bedrooms :unsure:

Edited by Parafox