Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
copunk

What if watford do a leicester

It's very, very early days for this kind of talk!

But if Watford 'did a Leicester' they'd be doing so with shorter odds and a higher wage bill, plus it wouldn't be the first time in nearly 40 years that it had happened, so it wouldn't quite be the same. That said, I'd love it to happen. It would mean what we had achieved has actually paved the way for other smaller sides to challenge. We'd have a legacy!

• Like 2

What if Watford do a Leicester?

Good luck to them, let’s hope they do. The amount of people from outside the top four that backed us was just phenomenal - whilst it’s nice being part of an exclusive group I wouldn’t selfishly begrudge an underdog team feeling as I did in 2016.

• Like 3

Ignoring the obvious it’s far too early comment which it obviously is. Watford will be lucky to get top 8 never mind win anything. 

Top teams will be too good, as they normally are. The one thing folk don’t like to admit about the perfect storm that was our title winning season is everyone else was utter shit, Arsenal in 2nd were four points off the lowest title winning points tally. Conversely last season  2nd place Manchester United had a very marginally better season than our 15/16 campaign over 38 games and finished 19 points off the pace. You’d not need to repeat what we did you’d need to take it to a whole different Level looking at Liverpool and city possibly even Chelsea at the moment.

To be brutally honest we got that one season where all the usual suspects were in transition.

I would love for them to do it but Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea in particular seem to have got their acts together.

Edited by Livid
  • Like 1

Come on Watford! I hope they do.

Cathcart certainly is doing a good Huth impression at the moment with his headed goals...

And Deeney's a lovable rogue in a Vardy type of way. I'd love it if they did... Love it.

I’d love it. 

Nothing will quite match our achievement in my opinion. 5000-1 I recall. Never again. 

But ordinary football fans who spend their hard earned cash supporting  their club through thick and a lot of thin experiencing the joy and elation that we did would be fantastic, never mind that it’d be another two fingers up to the established elite. 

2 hours ago, aefevans said:

While I would love us to ‘do a you’, I think that the ‘usual suspects’ have strengthened over the last couple of seasons; remember, Liverpool and Chelsea have the same points as us! They are going to be huge hurdles both home and away, and Man City must be considered. I don’t consider Arsenal and United as threatening as they were, say, ten years ago, and Tottenham was the team we had the worst record against in the past decade, and that win tells us that we can take on anyone. 

All considered, I don’t expect us to win the thing, but could we nick seventh? I wouldn’t rule it out. I definitely think we can get a top-half spot if we maintain consistency, which is the one thing we need to crack. We’ve got the quality and togetherness, I just hope the focus remains.

Also, you guys must love how it’s known as ‘doing a Leicester’. That’s one hell of a legacy, especially for something that involved sticking two fingers up at the self-entitled establishment. We were loving it over on our forum. 

I can honestly see a team breaking the top six this season as I really don't think that Man United and Arsenal are all that. I wouldn't certainly wouldn't rule it out. 

Apart from the top-six and us, Everton and Watford - it quite is a poor league imo.

If Watford can maintain their form by the January transfer window and sign a few more decent quality players at that time then their belief may well grow during the most-crucial final few months of the season.

But just feel that as a club that has had quite of a lot of managerial/personnel change in recent times, it may take a while for them to be seen as a serious surprise package imo.

Can't see Everton doing much really, although in a few years they may well do.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

Please stop .....if Bournemouth had won at Chelsea, (which they have done In two of the past three seasons), then they too would have 12 points. Would we have a thread for the, aswell? ITS FOUR BLOODY GAMES,!!!!!!!!

we won the league because no one believed we could win the league

up until we won at Man City, no one thought we could see it out. Even when spuds won at stoke, most thought they would catch us. No one took us seriously. Teams knew what we were going to do to them but still failed to prepare properly to deal with it. Look at the following season (yes without NG I know). Everyone wanted to beat the champions and they played in a way to stop us winning.  We were still capable of a top six finish as shakey’s spell showed but the big boys had strengthened and we were no longer any kind of surprise or novelty. 

Now the top clubs are even stronger and they will never again take a ‘small team’ threat lightly. the remaining clubs will not give anyone a free hit by allowing them to take valuable points from them without a fight.  It’s happened once.......it won’t happen again for a long time. 

I'm a selfish football fan. I don't want to see anybody do well other than us and I dont mind saying that. Watford are not even on the same scale as us, never mind the the top 4. 

Remember we had some real talent in our squad in 15/16, nurtured by building a "team" over 3-4 years previous that clicked for 38 games. 

If Watford get to 19 games and flying, them I will believe it. Personally I think there is more chance of Leicester doing a Leicester this season than Watford. 

• Like 1