Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Leicester 1- Everton 2 post match thread.

People booing and chanting “you don’t know what you’re doing” after Puel replaced Maddison is proof positive that a decent chunk of fans have made their minds up and are unprepared to let what happens on the pitch sway their prejudices.

Maddison had a really poor game today and had absolutely no influence at all. Unfortunately once you’re down to 10 men you can’t just throw dozens of attacking players on to complement existing ones, otherwise you end up with a situation like the game against Spurs a couple of years back. Realistically it came down to one of Ndidi, Mendy or Maddison and whilst you could have made a good case for any of them, taking off a “creative” player who had created nothing and seemed exhausted looked like a reasonable gamble to me.

Somebody above described Maddison as “our best player”. He’s not, he’s nowhere near. He’s understandably inconsistent. He’s learning the league and will have more games like today when it just doesn’t work for him. It serves nobody any benefit to leave him on the pitch on occasions like today (and Liverpool) when he’s clearly running on fumes and not contributing anything in attack or defence.

1 minute ago, whatdoesthefoxsay said:

Pickford

Siggurdson

Richarlison

Bernard

Walcott

Zouma

Gueye

Digne

Good joke man

Walcott was average, the reason he never made it at Arsenal was the fact he's so inconsistent in front of goal, should've have several today but was average

Pickford did what you would expect of a prem keeper 

Richarlison wasn't brilliant 

Siggy, Bernard and Zouma were their standout players.

42 minutes ago, Hanan96 said:

We already play with 3412 during attacking scheme didn't it? 

Kind of, but we still don’t have the best players playing in it. Maddison time and time again today got the ball on the left too deep, he needs to be finding space further forward and stretching the opposition. If we are to play 3 at the back then Soyuncu is going to be integral as he’s the only CB with an iota of pace, unless after 4 seasons we’re finally going to try Amartey there.

Also can we just take a moment to appreciate that goal by Sigurdsson.

A lot of doom and gloom in here but in the end we were only beaten by an incredible goal from a top class player.

It was shocking, let’s not fall into the trap and blame the referee, he wasn’t great but he wasn’t the reason we lost. A shoddy starting 11 which may well have worked against the likes of Huddersfield and Newcastle, but would never work against Everton. Bar a short spell in the second half they we’re more comfortable than we were. We’re still static, there’s no movement at all, it’s actually embarrassing how predictable we are, casually rolling the ball sideways and backwards before lifting it up to Vardy. 

Amartey is shit, he doesn’t know whether he’s coming or going half of the time, and Chilwell looked like a school boy at times today. The midfield set up is wrong too, N’didi and Mendy don’t work as a pair, individually they’re okay, but to gether they offer very little coming forward. Maddison, hadn’t got a clue what his role was today, to play left midfield and support Vardy? Was never going to work, he has to play off the striker. As for Kalechi, he’s an utter waste of space, why we keep persisting with him isn’t beyond me, he offers **** all.

We’re predictable, boring, static and have a clown of a manager constantly playing players out of position. I’ve lost all patience with the bloke, what’s going to happen next week? Okazaki at CB and Simpson up front? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

One of the worst things as well for me today is that they’re absolute toilet at the back. Toilet. Shit themselves every time we attacked yet we’ve somehow made them look like the Juve backline. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Langston said:

Can't get involved in the complete personal attack of Wes, it's clear he isn't up to it anymore but some people are getting a little carried away with how they're going about voicing that. The manager should have subbed him after he took Richarlison out on the halfway line, every man and his dog knew what was coming after that final warning.

These hideous starts need to be addressed if Puel wants to keep his job. The way we conceded possession when virtually unchallenged at times today was so frustrating to watch.

Bar the opening twenty or so, I thought we actually looked alright. Vardy should have scored, Chilwell keeps improving (and went close himself), and in general we looked comfortable. Complete brainfart from both manager and captain has cost us here.

Iheanacho simply doesn't fit with Vardy and was a waste of a shirt today bar a couple (?) of moments of decent link up play. Non-existent touch and simply not a clever enough footballer to be a number ten. We don't create enough chances in the six yard box for him to poach, which is what he is. Move him on.

I genuinely can't recall the last time I was entertained by Claude Puel's Leicester. Arsenal at the back end of last season, maybe. Aside from that, we're so dull. I can't remember feeling less excited looking forward to the footy at the weekend than I currently do.

It's definitely no all the manager's fault but I can't help but feel someone else could really get something out of this group of players.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

So frustrating. Until we pick the most balanced side from this squad, I’ll be on Puel’s back. I don’t necessarily want him gone as I think if he got the right players in the right positions we’d see a promising team grow and we could get behind his project.

Morgan shouldn’t be an automatic starter now, 2 red cards already this season with his experience is not good enough. He’s cost us the game today, we were comfortable in that 2nd half until he went off and you could see him getting a red quite early one. I don’t get why he’s being persisted with if we are honestly not renewing his contract next season. Give Evans or Soyuncu every chance to build an understanding with Maguire, or heaven forbid a back three together.

Maddison needs to be utilised in a more central role which has to be a 3-4-1-2 behind Vardy and Iheanacho. It makes total sense, Maddison is operating at about 60% what he’s capable of right now. We just aren’t getting him the ball enough in dangerous areas.

Please Claude, I want to back you but you make it so easy to want you hoying in the sea.

Two great posts above.

Guest Cujek

Spineless, weak and inept.

Puel has no tactical awareness.

Morgan needs to retire if that's how he is going to play.

The officials were poor, even by today's standard.

Bunch of pussies, I hate to see sportsmen being so weak, they should be fighting to the end, with everything they have, today shows why we are not top 6, be lucky for top 10 on this showing.

Sort it out or **** off Puel.

A lot of overreaction on here.

It was really disappointing but the main weakness is clear as daylight. We always score goals so it’s not about going forwards.

If we can sort the defence out we’d win most games. Clearly Morgan is not up to it anymore and gets caught our due to a lack of pace. Our slow starts happen because early on th midfield haven’t had time to gain control of the game and when teams with pace run at us we look vulnerable.

Its not about Maddison, Ihanacho or Mendy or our style of play. It’s about our defence and Morgan in particular. Vardy wasn’t great today but we know he can score goals. It’s not about Puel either.

In other respects we looked good and were the better team until the sending off. Why did we spend £19m on a CB that is never picked? Was it against Puel’s wishes or did someone not do their homework?

Edited by Mr Weller

3 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Everyone sees the game differently and it’s a good discussion to have. 

You say it was all Everton in the first 30 minutes but I recall Chilwell crossing to Vardy who headed it wide, Nacho declining to hit it with his right foot when played in and Vardy putting it wide after beating Keane. Admittedly some of those moments may well have been after 30 minutes but we had multiple good chances to score whereas I felt Everton didn’t. We had good control of the game with Mendy highly influential and Chilwell a constant threat. And it eventually led to our equaliser.

Up until the sending off we were building the play from the back nicely with Chilwell being hit on the diagonal multiple times and Maddison drifting between the lines to make space and move the opppsition out of position. 

In the second half I felt like we turned up the pressure even more with Chilwell very unlucky not to score after a fantastic run. We were definitely in the ascendancy at that point and to me at least we looked the more likely winners. Of course it’s all moot now as we lost! But as others have said that game swung due to one massive decision not going our way. 

I know it’s disappointing we are not higher in the league but we’re certainly not a bad team but rather a work in progress. Everton were there to be beaten today which makes it harder to take but we have a young side and this is part of their learning curve. Just a bit disappointing that the man sent off was our most experienced CB!

Not sure we were watching the same match, mate. Everton looked pretty comfortable the entire game, save a short time at the start of the second half. and they haven't won an away match in forever.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ttfn said:

People booing and chanting “you don’t know what you’re doing” after Puel replaced Maddison is proof positive that a decent chunk of fans have made their minds up and are unprepared to let what happens on the pitch sway their prejudices.

Maddison had a really poor game today and had absolutely no influence at all. Unfortunately once you’re down to 10 men you can’t just throw dozens of attacking players on to complement existing ones, otherwise you end up with a situation like the game against Spurs a couple of years back. Realistically it came down to one of Ndidi, Mendy or Maddison and whilst you could have made a good case for any of them, taking off a “creative” player who had created nothing and seemed exhausted looked like a reasonable gamble to me.

Somebody above described Maddison as “our best player”. He’s not, he’s nowhere near. He’s understandably inconsistent. He’s learning the league and will have more games like today when it just doesn’t work for him. It serves nobody any benefit to leave him on the pitch on occasions like today (and Liverpool) when he’s clearly running on fumes and not contributing anything in attack or defence.

As has been proven with Richarlison, Chilwell and others, you have to be patient with young players.  By nature they're going to be inconsistent. 

• Like 1

Now I've calmed down a bit...

Yet again the same problems persist, the defence and our left side when going forward.

You can blame Puel all you want for not subbing Wes but it wasn't his fault, that loss was all down to Wes not showing his experience and being extremely rash. Amartey was also on a yellow card yet he was wise enough to actually show discipline. Regardless of all of that we've signed three defenders yet our options are still poor, Everton would've battered Evans if he had played because he's slow as a snail, Soyuncu has communication problems and we've already loaned out Benkovic. Any team who has pace in their attack will be licking their lips against us, Richarlison and Bernard ran us ragged today.

As for going forward we are so unbalanced, we have zero width on the left side and it hurts us massively. Maddison keeps playing inside as does Iheanacho, that leaves Chilwell all on his own when he's marked by two players, I felt extremely sorry for Chilwell today, he gave it a good go but when he's out there on his own the play becomes limited, he got some luck against Kenny at times, but when Walcott actually showed defensive ability, Walcott and Kenny then doubled up on Chilwell and all Chilwell could do was pass backwards or sideways, it was extremely frustrating because he had zero support. 

Really lost for answers tbh, maybe a formation change or simply play the right personnel in their right positions, Maddison-Iheanacho-Vardy may have worked against Huddersfield and Newcastle, but it won't work against better quality teams who know how to defend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chester Dontlie said:

Good post. TBH this (Wilf & Ndidi)) bothers me even more than playing Wes week in week out and almost as much as our slow starts and giving lead to the opposition. Neither Wilf nor Ndidi are comfortable on the ball really, they have a difficulty creating anything and defemsively each time opposing team catches us on the counter we crumble it's like they put a hot knife through butter :( I don't suggest we should bench both of them, but try different pairings. Wilf and Iborra maybe. Maybe sacrifice Nacho or Vards for more creativity, Grey, Albrighton or Shinji. Surely the two of them can't be our best midfield pairing? If they are I think we are in trouble. I see Silva is not even an option at the moment, that would indicate he fell out of Puels favour for good. I hope that's not the case...

Neither Wilf or Ndidi are comfortable on the ball, dont you mean Mendy?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, whatdoesthefoxsay said:

Pickford

Siggurdson

Richarlison 

Bernard

Walcott

Zouma

Gueye

Digne

I'd agree on Sigurdsson & Richarlison. Siggy we got outbid by them and cost what, £50m? and Richarlison was about that amount too, I don't think we'd spend that much on one player without having a certain type of manager.

The rest are our level or below, Everton have been gererally inconsistant this season and on another week most of them will look average again and decent the next, with some bad lol