Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
twister

Problem with the premier league....

The concern should be that the top six becomes a closed shop. Our title win was a one-off, the top four is usually out of reach but in the past 15 years the likes of Bolton, Southampton, Blackburn, Middlesbrough have all been in or close to the top six. Burnley finished seventh and didn't win for nearly three months at one point.

The league desperately needs Bournemouth, Watford, Wolves, ourselves, Everton to improve hugely on last season.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Corky said:

The concern should be that the top six becomes a closed shop. Our title win was a one-off, the top four is usually out of reach but in the past 15 years the likes of Bolton, Southampton, Blackburn, Middlesbrough have all been in or close to the top six. Burnley finished seventh and didn't win for nearly three months at one point.

The league desperately needs Bournemouth, Watford, Wolves, ourselves, Everton to improve hugely on last season.

Would a 'breakaway' league, with the so-called top-four/five/six clubs moving away from the PL, actually be good for the game?

Edited by Wymeswold fox

4 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Would a 'breakaway' league, with the so-called top-four/five/six clubs moving away from the PL, actually be good for the game?

Potentially. The revenues coming in would reduce dramatically but I think clubs would adjust in time, tickets would be cheaper and you'd hopefully lose the one-sided games at the big grounds and the hoovering of the best talent at the rest of the clubs.

• Like 1

The problem isn't just the money being spent by the top 6, it's the fact the top 6 never give any team outside the top 6 the chance to build a decent team. Every summer we lose a top player. First Kante, then drinky, then Mahrez, next summer will be Maguire then  chilly then Maddison. Same for all the teams outside the top 6 unfortunately. Ultimately teams like us do the scouting for the top 6. We take a chance on players, sign them relatively cheap and then move them on to the top 6 for a significantly higher fee. Never going to change unfortunately and I'm just glad i got to see our miracle as it will never happen again! 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

The problem isn't just the money being spent by the top 6, it's the fact the top 6 never give any team outside the top 6 the chance to build a decent team. Every summer we lose a top player. First Kante, then drinky, then Mahrez, next summer will be Maguire then  chilly then Maddison. Same for all the teams outside the top 6 unfortunately. Ultimately teams like us do the scouting for the top 6. We take a chance on players, sign them relatively cheap and then move them on to the top 6 for a significantly higher fee. Never going to change unfortunately and I'm just glad i got to see our miracle as it will never happen again! 

It certainly happened to Southampton, they even lost their managers as well 

the nfl comparison is important, thats a billion doller game that works through parity , i know its only 32 teams but why couldnt hit work here on a bigger scale.

yet the top 6 are propped up by the smaller clubs round the tv deal table, it is odd

36 minutes ago, twister said:

I say this as a arsenal fan

While obviously pleased with emery and how we are doing, I  did think in a slightly depressed way as a football fan of the game that the leagues competivness is going to be null and void outside of the  top 6 for maybe a decade to come.

Your miracle title win, was swallowed up by the big teams, tonight you had nidi and mendy, no longer kante and drinkwater swallowed up by the big money clubs, mahrez lost to city for 50 million.

we on the other hand spent 100 million on two strikers over the past year, the financial dispaity now is ridiculous.

I spoke to my sisters bloke a wendsday fan, told me straight he didnt want to get promoted, you dont win games, tickets more exprensive, and its boring. I agree its getting difficult now, I love watch the championship where 12 teams are seperated by seven points and how can that not be more exciting than 6 teams winning every week even when playing terribly like liverpool did on saturday (huddersfield didnt lay a glove on them)

On the other hand how can you ever dream of a  great  title win like yours if you dont, its a tought balance act :)

When you can bring on Aubemayang and Ramsey having finished 6th the previous season it just about sums it up. 

4 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Southampton are the feeder club to the entire top 6. Their fans must be gutted as they would've been a top 6 team,  if they had more ambition as a club. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Signed up, as had to agree with this, as well as the OP.

As a Saints supporter, I was thrilled to see another team in the Champions League, the only non Big 6 this decade. The commentators and other sycophants didn't seem quite so enamoured with your appearance there.  But football has become boring now. OK we aren't in a particularly good place, but watching Saints 0-3 Chelsea the other week was depressing. The gulf in class was huge. 

The Saints' forums have similar threads about modern football and how its the Big 6 vs the rest, and it seems no one but the money men are particularly happy with things. 

Anyway, LCFC the last true champions of England. Can't see it happening again any time soon, so if you can't win it, or even finish in the top 4 money spots, what's the point?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Saint71 said:

As a Saints supporter, I was thrilled to see another team in the Champions League, the only non Big 6 this decade. The commentators and other sycophants didn't seem quite so enamoured with your appearance there.  But football has become boring now. OK we aren't in a particularly good place, but watching Saints 0-3 Chelsea the other week was depressing. The gulf in class was huge. 

The Saints' forums have similar threads about modern football and how its the Big 6 vs the rest, and it seems no one but the money men are particularly happy with things. 

Anyway, LCFC the last true champions of England. Can't see it happening again any time soon, so if you can't win it, or even finish in the top 4 money spots, what's the point?

Exactly, it is so frustrating it is like you unlock some gems and as soon as they become good enough to get near that top six, they come in and sign them up taking your team apart. 

Thankfully we held off Man U with Maguire, and are trying our best to keep a team together... won’t be long till they start sniffing around again though and coming in for Chilwell and Maddison ... 

6 minutes ago, Saint71 said:

And it is only a couple of years ago you were finishing above Liverpool and next to Man United. A real shame that you've regressed so quickly as for three years under Pochettino and Koeman you were a very entertaining team.

I think the gulf in class is there but also teams are half-beaten when they kick-off and focus on other more winnable matches which doesn't help the pattern of the league.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, twister said:

the nfl comparison is important, thats a billion doller game that works through parity , i know its only 32 teams but why couldnt hit work here on a bigger scale.

yet the top 6 are propped up by the smaller clubs round the tv deal table, it is odd

It’s also a closed league where teams will get deliberately worse to get a higher draft pick, the American system is completely different 

1 hour ago, twister said:

While obviously pleased with emery and how we are doing, I  did think in a slightly depressed way as a football fan of the game that the leagues competivness is going to be null and void outside of the  top 6 for maybe a decade to come.

Your miracle title win, was swallowed up by the big teams, tonight you had nidi and mendy, no longer kante and drinkwater swallowed up by the big money clubs, mahrez lost to city for 50 million.

we on the other hand spent 100 million on two strikers over the past year, the financial dispaity now is ridiculous.

I spoke to my sisters bloke a wendsday fan, told me straight he didnt want to get promoted, you dont win games, tickets more exprensive, and its boring. I agree its getting difficult now, I love watch the championship where 12 teams are seperated by seven points and how can that not be more exciting than 6 teams winning every week even when playing terribly like liverpool did on saturday (huddersfield didnt lay a glove on them)

On the other hand how can you ever dream of a  great  title win like yours if you dont, its a tought balance act :)

First of all congrats on tonights win.

On the flip side of the Sheff Wed fans view, we can tell you how infuriating the championship can be that you can hammer the top team away and get dicked by the bottom team at home the following week. Great for a neutral but most teams think 'what might have been'.

A premier league top 6 fan watches some great football but the cost is having a matchday experience which is somewhat sanitised.

Then there is the Leicester, etc mini league of teams too shit to push on but not shit enough to go down resulting in an ultimately boring season for about 5-6 teams.

I guess the grass is always greener!

Edited by Nalis

1 hour ago, twister said:

Well that's pure bullshit at the minute. 30 quid for every away game. 

My mate has just been charged 45 to watch Norwich at the shitty ground.

Know what I'd rather do.

2 hours ago, twister said:

We only lost Kante from the 2015/16 title win straight after. If there was no release clause he might have stayed on for the Champions League.

Maguire and Chilwell were also kept on and likely will be sold for very good prices.

There is no point moaning about the unfairness of the league as a whole. We have only ourselves to blame. The legacy left by Nigel Pearson was squandered in a big way and we're now playing catch up.

• Like 1

Non top 6 sides do tend to have players "stolen" (if you will) often but its not like we dont do the same to championship, league one etc sides too. Im sure they hate when any prem team comes calling for their star player when they are top of league 1.

In order to have balance there needs to be a hard salary cap, a cap on squad size and limits to how many players you can stash on loan, sister clubs, u21s, on a beach in ibiza (drinky)  etc.   If everyone is operating on the same budget (if you chose to max out your cap) with the same capped squad sizes and forced to use homegrown talent  then perhaps we will have "some" better chance for  everyone excluding the top 6.  Id even go as far to say you cant have more than X amount of players making  more than £Y per week.

I know  the above is not all we can do and you have to better define the details but its a start.

Edited by Jattdogg

The whole league is based around maintaining and widening the wealth gap between the so call top six and the rest of the league. 

The very fact fact that we were the FIFTH highest earners in the league the season we won it prove this. 

Then there’s the wage increase rules that again, which gave the big clubs a head start.

I’m not a stat man but haven’t we spent more on transfers than Arsenal in the last 3 years? 

We have spunked millions on awful and average players like Slimani, Musa, Silva, Iborra etc.

I would say if we had got our recruitment right the gap we not be as big.