Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
twister

Problem with the premier league....

8 hours ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Exactly, it is so frustrating it is like you unlock some gems and as soon as they become good enough to get near that top six, they come in and sign them up taking your team apart. 

Thankfully we held off Man U with Maguire, and are trying our best to keep a team together... won’t be long till they start sniffing around again though and coming in for Chilwell and Maddison ... 

No different to what we do to smaller teams. 

• Like 1

The main problem with the premier League is the standard of the refereeing and the general bias towards the 'bigger teams'. The standard has fallen dramatically in recent seasons, the only thing that is consistent is their inconsistency, not just from game to game but in 1 game. I find it highly frustrating and it needs to be corrected. You going to get a game every so often that you'll always talk about the ref and decisions, but it seems to be every game we talk about them and how poor they are and for me this is not football. 

Just now, fox_favourite said:

The main problem with the premier League is the standard of the refereeing and the general bias towards the 'bigger teams'. The standard has fallen dramatically in recent seasons, the only thing that is consistent is their inconsistency, not just from game to game but in 1 game. I find it highly frustrating and it needs to be corrected. You going to get a game every so often that you'll always talk about the ref and decisions, but it seems to be every game we talk about them and how poor they are and for me this is not football. 

Yeah exactly this. The game should be spoken about how the two teams have played, not how the ref was inconsistent with fouls and missed a huge call or two. But sadly, that seems to be the case against any big team.

Good post and a nice tone not giving it the big one.

It proved naive to think that when we won the league we could maybe become a ‘Big Club’.

In player’s minds there are certain clubs that they have ambition to play for though. The cream will always rise to the top teams. At least top in terms of spending power and trophy history. Kante leaving immediately after the 15/16 miracle season proves the point.

But I’ve been watching a lot of Championship games this season.  A lot of half empty grounds and some shocking football. So I’d never want to go back to some of the shite I’ve watched as a fan over the years.

The PL is the place to be as a fan. To dream and to hope. Even the deluded dream that we might one day beat Arsenal away. 

• Like 1

The Premier league may not be perfect but it is the most open of the top European leagues.

Spain is a virtual duopoly and has been for decades with Atleti occasionally breaking it. Half the games Barca and Real play are virtually uncontested. Bayern, Juventus, PSG all dominate their leagues and have done for years.

Having 6 teams competing for the title makes the PL a lot more exciting (particularly for the big 6) but it does make it harder for a team to break in. It doesn’t help that the premier league is full of non traditional big clubs who do not have the financial or reputational clout to really break the hexopoly. Burnley, Bournemouth, Huddersfield, Cardiff, Brighton are giving it everything but barely laying a glove on the top 6. There is this attitude that just defending and only losing 1-0 is better than actually having a go at the big boys. It would be good to see some of the bigger clubs, Villa, Newcastle, Wednesday, Leeds being better run and able to build on their tradition and fan base to compete at the top. The irony being that the more strong midtable clubs there are the harder it would be for one of them to do a Leicester.

We we have had some great games and moments against the top 6. Man U 5-3, Man City 3-1, Vardy vs Liverpool, finally beating Arsenal last season. Getting Mourinho sacked at Chelsea. Huth vs Spurs, Vardy hat-trick vs Man City. Even in defeat 2-5 vs Arsenal was a blistering game, 3-4 away at Spurs in the great escape season. None of these would mean half as much if the big 6 didn’t exist and didn’t have the ability to annihilate teams.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Finnegan said:

For all the flaws with the Premier League, I'm going to off myself if I have to go back to watching us play ****ing Barnsley on a week day night, freezing my tits off in a half empty concrete bowl listening to us sing YOU'LL NEVER SING THAT to twelve travelling fans bored shitless watching the same turgid lump ball they see every opponent play every week. 

Easy to romanticise the Championship when you don't have to play in it. 

****ing depressing league. 

Even the supposed benefits from being in there such as 3pm games most weeks and cheaper ticket prices have gone. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Would a 'breakaway' league, with the so-called top-four/five/six clubs moving away from the PL, actually be good for the game?

This could work but only if this entitled mini league was relocated to Qatar or The UAE.

Otherwise Sky would show only their games and the likes of us would be reduced to watching Manish and Claridge present 5 minutes of highlighs at 1.30 a.m

• Haha 1

European soccer is like the world - the rich dominate.  I've heard that the Spanish league divides most of the TV revenue among 3 or 4 clubs.  I know in Portugal it's among 4 clubs. 

But say you get a Kante who's a stud on a 'lower' club, a big club is going to buy him.  This doesn't happen in American sports for the most part.  In the NFL their draft system and salary cap are set up so that a team that has even average management can make the playoffs at least every 5 years - which keeps the fans engaged - and grows the brand.  The difference between the best and worst teams isn't much - and things can change - quickly.  NBA has an issue with stars wanting to play in warm weather markets but the draft and salary cap/luxury tax for the most part keeps things competitive.  Hockey is same way with its cap.  Baseball is the only exception but even there, a small market team can make the playoffs and in a short series with a hot pitcher, anything can happen.

The problem with soccer is there's a correlation between spending money and quality of product that goes unchecked for the most part. It's why I support Leicester.  But I also understand that if the Premier League institutes a salary cap, their top clubs will have no chance vs the Real's/Barca's of the world.

But personally, nothing about Man City/United or any big club impresses me other than maybe admiring the skill of the players.  So you go buy the best talent year after year- big deal. I'd love to see Mourinho operate with a salary cap...lol. 

The fun is the journey - building the club and riding the emotional roller coaster.  Winning every year is boring.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TeaMen Tom said:

European soccer is like the world - the rich dominate.  I've heard that the Spanish league divides most of the TV revenue among 3 or 4 clubs.  I know in Portugal it's among 4 clubs. 

But say you get a Kante who's a stud on a 'lower' club, a big club is going to buy him.  This doesn't happen in American sports for the most part.  In the NFL their draft system and salary cap are set up so that a team that has even average management can make the playoffs at least every 5 years - which keeps the fans engaged - and grows the brand.  The difference between the best and worst teams isn't much - and things can change - quickly.  NBA has an issue with stars wanting to play in warm weather markets but the draft and salary cap/luxury tax for the most part keeps things competitive.  Hockey is same way with its cap.  Baseball is the only exception but even there, a small market team can make the playoffs and in a short series with a hot pitcher, anything can happen.

The problem with soccer is there's a correlation between spending money and quality of product that goes unchecked for the most part. It's why I support Leicester.  But I also understand that if the Premier League institutes a salary cap, their top clubs will have no chance vs the Real's/Barca's of the world.

But personally, nothing about Man City/United or any big club impresses me other than maybe admiring the skill of the players.  So you go buy the best talent year after year- big deal. I'd love to see Mourinho operate with a salary cap...lol. 

The fun is the journey - building the club and riding the emotional roller coaster.  Winning every year is boring.  

I doubt it but we'll never know. 

19 hours ago, Corky said:

Even the supposed benefits from being in there such as 3pm games most weeks and cheaper ticket prices have gone. 

Exactly, Sky have more games than ever to show now. Matches are moved all over the shop, with Friday nights a particular favourite for them. We've also been utterly blessed since 2016/17 with the £30 away ticket cap. The sharp shock myself and others would get when we're relegated in the next decade or so, down to £45 for Sheffield Wednesday away will not be fun.

On 22/10/2018 at 22:37, davieG said:

Just spread the finances more evenly if they can do it in the USA with the NFL then why not the PL. 

It's embarrassing when the smaller clubs vote to increase the strength of the big 6.

This is the right solution. The answer is to hand the money out more fairly.

In US sports, no team really gets to dominate too hard for too long. I believe, roughly speaking, the lower you finish in the league, the better your picks in the draft. Obviously, they have no promotion or relegation like the football league, and there's no draft in football, but the principle is there - give a leg up to the teams that are struggling, rather than give all the prize money to the clubs who are already dominating.

I don't know what the best way of doing it is, but the playing field has to be made a bit less like the cliff face it is now.

Non top 6 English clubs have more of a chance at breaking the oligopoly than the other leagues in Europe. Clubs like Huddersfield and Cardiff have much more spending power than mid table and bottom half sides in Spain, Italy and France - its just they don't use it well. The only unique issue the premier league has is that there's more parity between the top 6 sides, whereas in Spain the power is concentrated between 3 clubs, France it's just PSG, Germany it's Bayern. The tv money will make it increasingly unlikely that top 6 sides will be able to cherry pick talent, granted players like VVD, Mahrez and Lukaku have moved fro big money but even Man City and United will struggle to make multiple near record fees every season.

We could be challenging the top 6 but its our own fault, we've had access to hundreds of millions of pounds and we've spent it on players like Slimani, Iborra, Silva and Musa. Espanyol are currently second in La Liga, it won't last unfortunately, but they have €50m euros equal tv share and can earn more through merit payments but have found a way to compete. I don't have much sympathy for English clubs because most are ran very poorly. We're not as bad as we were but we still spend huge sums

• Like 1

On 22/10/2018 at 22:06, twister said:

I say this as a arsenal fan

While obviously pleased with emery and how we are doing, I  did think in a slightly depressed way as a football fan of the game that the leagues competivness is going to be null and void outside of the  top 6 for maybe a decade to come.

Your miracle title win, was swallowed up by the big teams, tonight you had nidi and mendy, no longer kante and drinkwater swallowed up by the big money clubs, mahrez lost to city for 50 million.

we on the other hand spent 100 million on two strikers over the past year, the financial dispaity now is ridiculous.

I spoke to my sisters bloke a wendsday fan, told me straight he didnt want to get promoted, you dont win games, tickets more exprensive, and its boring. I agree its getting difficult now, I love watch the championship where 12 teams are seperated by seven points and how can that not be more exciting than 6 teams winning every week even when playing terribly like liverpool did on saturday (huddersfield didnt lay a glove on them)

On the other hand how can you ever dream of a  great  title win like yours if you dont, its a tought balance act :)

Wednesday fans lol They are very good at "we are massive" despite the fact they haven't played in the top flight since 2000.

They have one of the most expensive ticket prices in the Championship. I see some of their fans take the piss out of away followings they get at Hillsborough but who the fvck wants to pay nearly £40 for Sheffield Wednesday away. I pay £30 max for any away game now (thought it should be £20 but that's a different subject).

The Championship is better in terms of any 15 teams could win the league but the quality is shite compared to the Premier League. When we were in the Championship (and a spell in League One) for a decade I didn't think the difference was that big but it is. No way do I want to see us relegated out of the top flight.

Good win for you on Monday. Thought you were class second half. Emery is clearly building something exciting and if you had a solid defence (ie players like Campbell and Adams) I believe you'd be title contenders but I can't see it yet.

• Like 1

agree on a lot that has been said on reflection.

I do wonder if sky showing the games midweek on sky is really hurting the championship attendces midweek, whats the point going if its all on the tv iftickets are at that prices.

I also agree its worse in other leagues, I just see a danger of the top teams not losing at all to smaller teams now, at least that happened on occasion, if the top 6 starting demolising the rest of the league like they have been doing this season so far, then its not better than la ligas exhibition matches between barca and madrid opposition.

I just watch the likes of giroud on the bench of chelsea, or fabregas , or sanchez at united, and ramsey for us and think the league would be better for them being spread around non top 6 clubs, games would be better than its good surley for the tv product. benches full of good players not playing because their at bigger clubs does no sport any favours.

When tevez went to west ham sky had some of their best ratings, spurs west ham that 4-3 they repeat so often is because its one of theier higher viewed games.

On 23/10/2018 at 00:19, Finnegan said:

For all the flaws with the Premier League, I'm going to off myself if I have to go back to watching us play ****ing Barnsley on a week day night, freezing my tits off in a half empty concrete bowl listening to us sing YOU'LL NEVER SING THAT to twelve travelling fans bored shitless watching the same turgid lump ball they see every opponent play every week. 

Easy to romanticise the Championship when you don't have to play in it. 

****ing depressing league. 

Totally agree. The only fans that "enjoy" the championship are teams that know they would get dicked every week in the prem as they can't compete financially like Wigan etc. Cardiff fans probably can't wait to go back down (and even warnock cant wait to go down) as they know they will not win many games this season. We all made the best of it when we were down in the championship and even league 1 as we love Leicester and will support them no matter what, but we all prefer to be in the prem. If we didn't have the financial backing of the owners however and couldn't really compete in the prem and got dicked every week then maybe that view would change. But whilst we are a pretty competitive prem team im happy where we are (would prefer us to be pushing the top 6 but we cant have everything i guess).