Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nick

January Transfer Window Thoughts & Rumours

On 26/10/2018 at 10:36, StriderHiryu said:

My personal opinion is that Puel intended for the right inside forward position to be filled by either Diabate or Gray who would compete with one another. However, Diabate had a shocking pre-season, so Puel deicded to buy a "stop-gap" or squad player. IE someone that could come in and add some value, but wouldn't be a marquee signing and prevent the opportunity for Gray and Diabate to play.

Compare Chilwell and Gray's situation. Chilwell *was* put ahead of Fuchs and though it took a little while to learn he's now undisputed first choice for both Leicester and arguably England. But Gray was behind Mahrez who we were trying to keep and is one of the best players we've ever had. So he didn't get the opportunity to play and so is behind Chilwell development wise. If we signed another blockbuster signing, then Gray would realise he would never get a first team opportunity because after being behind Mahrez, he'd be behind the next player we signed too and would probably leave.

With Ghezzal I think the idea is that it's Gray who is first choice and Ghezzal that rotates with him for cup matches or to come on as a sub. This way we have a more experienced player to call on but Gray gets his game time. Before he got injured, Gray was quite good... not on Chilwell's level but definitely the best we've seen him for the club so far. Ghezzal has been average at best, but he has scored two goals and made some assists. So he might be indifferent, but he's added some value.

At least this is my take on it.

Should have got Ghezzal on loan if that was the case. Monaco were desperate to get rid and would have been open to a loan and we could have had an option to buy. He looks what we thought he would be. Not terrible but mediocre and we'll struggle to move him on. At 26 there is little hope for improvement either.

Monaco managed to shift their forward to Southampton for £19m who was awful for Monaco and now awful for Southampton. These foreign clubs must love PL clubs who spend their money without due diligence. 

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 2

On 26/10/2018 at 11:06, StriderHiryu said:

Well you got me there!

He did bring him on to the right wing versus Huddersfield second half though, with Nacho, Vardy, Maddison and Gray all playing up top. So we might go for that again?

Regardless I do think we should have got a better quality winger as not replacing Mahrez like-for-like was always asking for trouble. But we were linked with Patrick Roberts in a swap deal so it seems like we were always thinking about a younger player instead of the finished article, probably as part of the plan to bring through more younger players. 

That looks like a bullet dodged.

Went to two bob Spanish outfit Girona and has made six sub appearances. 

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/136462/Show/Patrick-Roberts

• Like 2

Out - Wes (top bloke but gone at this level), Simmo (like Wes gone at this level), Ghezzal (just not suited to this league), Iborra (think he has gone over the hill too), James (good lad but never fit), Shinji (absolute star but we need a striker who scores goals), Nacho (just not happening for him here, not sure he is going to kick on at this level).

Keep Kingy he is Mr Leicester and will sure fill the boots vacated by The Birch someday. He is also a brilliant example of a good pro and can pass a lot on to our youngsters.

Puel, I am so mixed. He is moving us forward, changing the way we play and bringing on our youngsters, but is he getting enough out of the talent we have and can he manage the likes of Vards ?

If we are serious about moving on I think Top is going to have to break the bank to get a top manager who will bring some top talent with him. I can't fault Top or the money he has put into our Club but now is about his ambition more than anybody else. Break the bank financially, challenge Simeone to show how good he is and that he is as good as other top managers in this division, and give him the cash. Maybe not realistic.

So get Eddie Howe, get him to bring Wilson and King with him, maybe Frazer too, think he would be a good fit for us

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Fightforever said:

We really need a vardy partner and/or eventual successor as a transfer priority now.

Vardy can't work as a alone striker.

He could have had a few goals in the last few games but keeps fluffing it. Not sure it is always the systems fault.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

He could have had a few goals in the last few games but keeps fluffing it. Not sure it is always the systems fault.

I know I keep going on about it but changing boots at this stage in his career was wrong. He’s had 3/4 years wearing Nike hypervenom and now he’s gone to an Adidas boot. It’s not just his finishing it’s his general touch and passing it’s reminiscent of when he first joined which leads me to think he’s not comfortable playing in them.

3 hours ago, lgfualol said:

True,

But even then a target man wouldn't do us any harm and plus he's only goning to get older.

Edited by Fightforever

On 26/10/2018 at 14:20, Stadt said:

We need a RB, a CM, a LW, and a RW. We won't even get all of those in the summer let alone in January

....Clyne as a RB, we need someone who can run the team, pulling all the strings like a Shelvy type... so Shelvy, switch Ricardo to left wing and get Roberts in on the right. 

We would still be holding to the Puel policy of youth but just bringing in some experience for balance. 

We should go back in for Malcolm, there were reports we were interested in the summer before Barcelona came in and his move there hasn’t worked out playing only 114 minutes since joining and seemingly is out of favour. Could provide that touch of class at RW we’ve been missing.

Edited by Mehrez
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....Clyne as a RB, we need someone who can run the team, pulling all the strings like a Shelvy type... so Shelvy, switch Ricardo to left wing and get Roberts in on the right. 

We would still be holding to the Puel policy of youth but just bringing in some experience for balance. 

How is Roberts going to improve the team ?

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Mehrez said:

We should go back in for Malcolm, there were reports we were interested in the summer before Barcelona came in and his move there hasn’t worked out playing only 114 minutes since joining and seemingly is out of favour. Could provide that touch of class at RW we’ve been missing.

No chance sadly. They paid £40m for him so I doubt they’d be willing to make a loss on him. 

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

No chance sadly. They paid £40m for him so I doubt they’d be willing to make a loss on him. 

Agreed they won’t make a loss, but if we want to be challenging for the top 6 we will have to match those who are also competing (Everton). Do you know what our net spend ended up as in the summer? Some ITK’s on here reckoned we had 50 mil to spend add on the Mahrez money and I’d guess there’s a fair bit left

Edit: just found it, £85 mil in and £103 mil out, so £18 mil net 

Edited by Mehrez

Unless Vardy is not fit, I feel that he has lost a yard of pace, unless defenders are getting quicker. If he has lost pace, then his main asset has gone and he may only score 10 to 15 goals this season. (3 I believe so far, 2 from open play). We need new blood and not just base our attack around Vardy in my opinion. Would like a target man, who doesn't mind being on the bench (I thought someone like Crouch could have done a job for us in the last 15 minutes of a game if we were chasing it. We have no one in that mould playing for us at the moment). Is KI the answer, probably not.

I am sure our scouting staff will be on top of this, but like most purchases it could be a real gamble if we only pay peanuts. If you want to compete with Everton and potentially West Ham, upwards of 50 million on a top class striker is required.

Edited by MGLCFC

For a target man, Milan Pavkov?  Seems to know where the goal is, all be it in the Serbian League.  Should be cheaper than getting fleeced in Portugal.

Edited by mozartfox