Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

What points total constitutes progress this season?

Which points range constitutes success this season, in your opinion?  

166 members have voted

1. 1. How many points indicate progress has been made this season to you?

8 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Isn’t points total a rather limited measurement of progress ?

Making progress in playing style, improvement in individual players, signing the better ones to longer contracts and getting others off the wage bill would be nice 

If we are moving in the right direction in these areas I’m not too fussed if we finish 7th or 12th 

This. 

I would say anything better that last year, points wise is a improvement.

However, we are on 31 with 17 to play, we have been going at  around 1.48 points per game, so around ideally I would like to see us continue at this rate, which would give us around 56 points at the end of the season, which last season would have got 7th 

To put in to contrasted,we had 27 points this time last season, with 17 games to go we took 20 points from those at around 1.18 a point per game, to finish the season.

I would measure this season by who we have starting for us next season. We don't have a team that can score enough goals....but hopefully that will change the  2nd half of the season. Also, the team leaks the first goal on too many occasions. 45 to 49 points will be OK as long as it is because we were building team foundations this season.

Edited by norwichfox

I'm not keen on the '1 point more' argument, especially as I think we under achieved last season. I'd expect with this squad (starting 11 is 8th best in the league IMO!) to aim for over 50 points with 53-55 being a reasonable target and success for Puel and this team. 

4 minutes ago, UPinCarolina said:

If we can finish above our place in the league last season, I would consider that progress. Points to me are less relevant than place.

Progress even if you under achieved the season before? I don't like that theory. To me, it should be based on what the players and resources you have are realistically capable of. I also think it is better to set a points target rather than a position in the league, to judge progression or not, as we know that only a couple of points or even goal difference can mean a difference of 3 or 4 places in the league, whereas points are much more based on wins and losses of your own team and not the inconsistency of the league and how it throws up oddities from time to time. 

With nothing else to play for and a couple of free weekends coming up, it would be abject failure if we did not reach 50 points - i.e. 19 more from 17 games.

The second half of last season was a total letdown, with that dreadful run of home performances against teams below us (four draws and two defeats in six games) leaving us with just 20 points from our last 17 games and 47 in total when it looked like we would get so many more.

A repeat performance is not acceptable. We should be targeting that seventh spot, which will be achievable, I reckon, if we keep up our current points per game ratio.

It could be however that seventh place will not be good enough for the last Europa League spot this season. While it looks highly likely that one of the 'top six' will win the Carabao Cup, the FA Cup has already lost Liverpool and will lose one of Arsenal or Man United in round four.

33 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Y’all think the man just rolls out of bed with the right post at the right time?  It takes more than talent to win at this game.

It takes commitment.  When was the last time you saw Babs’ avatar without the green “member online” corner?  It takes 24-7, baby.

It takes infrastructure.  It takes reading and responding to several threads at once.

ContRm.JPG.48dac5afc275a4700699c89d198e0be3.JPG

Rank FT amateurs the rest of us are.

Indeed ! ...   Babs the Magnificent (Mr stats) ..  has really upped his game ...  did you know (he’ll like this) that of the first 8 days of this year he has accrued more reps points than anyone else on 6 of those days !! ... :o ...      and on the remaining 2 days he has the second highest rep count !!  (very poor imo) ....   :nono: ....    he will instantly seek out some of the more statistically challenged FT members and bludgeon them with superior statistical information ...   thus garnering a few rep points on the way ... 

Personally, I do not think he uses computers at all ...    I think his he stores it all in his gigantic, weather balloon sized head.   :)

Puel's fvcked up in the cups, whether by accident or design.

I fume in that by one measure, we're the least successful FA Cup team. He should have been aware how much an FA Cup trophy would mean to us.

An FA Cup win would mean so much more than (say) the monetary difference between 7th and 13th in the League for us. Does he get this??

11 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Indeed ! ...   Babs the Magnificent (Mr stats) ..  has really upped his game ...  did you know (he’ll like this) that of the first 8 days of this year he has accrued more reps points than anyone else on 6 of those days !! ... :o ...      and on the remaining 2 days he has the second highest rep count !!  (very poor imo) ....   :nono: ....    he will instantly seek out some of the more statistically challenged FT members and bludgeon them with superior statistical information ...   thus garnering a few rep points on the way ... 

Personally, I do not think he uses computers at all ...    I think his he stores it all in his gigantic, weather balloon sized head.   :)

how many rep points per day would you think constitutes a successful season?!    #babsout

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KingsX said:

Y’all think the man just rolls out of bed with the right post at the right time?  It takes more than talent to win at this game.

It takes commitment.  When was the last time you saw Babs’ avatar without the green “member online” corner?  It takes 24-7, baby.

It takes infrastructure.  It takes reading and responding to several threads at once.

ContRm.JPG.48dac5afc275a4700699c89d198e0be3.JPG

Rank FT amateurs the rest of us are.

The pic on the wall ... 

looks like the lovechild of GTF and  Shaquiri 

6 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

50+ otherwise it will feel exactly like last season where we let our season fizzle out after being in pole position to be the best of the rest. We are Mahrezless now so slightly more points than last season is progress but I think we have got to average more than a point a game for the rest of the season otherwise he'll be off.

We didn't have a  consistent defence last year.That is a significant upgrade..

All the squad have been tried and tested....real strengths and weakness discovered.

some players might need longer to develope,some will be given time then it depends if they can respond,others will find themselves without a number!!

so something to play for....

If we got less points as last year,but kept all our good players and built around them,I'd take 10th and 2-4 points less!!!

But why not be greedy and have it all...That above plus 8-7th with +points than last season!!!

5 minutes ago, PhillippaT said:

Can Puel progress the points and position the Premier League provides, compared to our previous annual points and position, or will Puel potentially pick problematic plans and players performing poorly, plummeting the club towards the precipice?

Poster perhaps partaking Prosecco? 

• Haha 3