Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NewquayFox

Who then......

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

This would probably get laughed at but someone like Martin Jol on a short term contract until the summer wouldn't be too bad. He'd lift the place with some attacking football and then see where we are at the end of the season. He's probably not a long term solution but I always admired the way he got his teams playing, even at Fulham they played some superb stuff and then it went horrible for him.

I think some folk are gonna have a field day with that one.  I always liked him as a person, seemed a nice guy but to sack a manager who has us 8th and replace with Jol would be like something from The Onion.  X

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RumbleFox said:

I think some folk are gonna have a field day with that one.  I always liked him as a person, seemed a nice guy but to sack a manager who has us 8th and replace with Jol would be like something from The Onion.  X

Hahahaa i'm sure it will be, but it's trendy these days to go for short term managers mid way through a season and it would have to be someone who isn't currently at a club. Jol epitomises the new manager bounce, he's had a knack for it and he plays very attacking football if given the chance. I just think someone like him would bring a feelgood factor back that's been missing for a while.

• Like 1

Just now, Ric Flair said:

Hahahaa i'm sure it will be, but it's trendy these days to go for short term managers mid way through a season and it would have to be someone who isn't currently at a club. Jol epitomises the new manager bounce, he's had a knack for it and he plays very attacking football if given the chance. I just think someone like him would bring a feelgood factor back that's been missing for a while.

Haha, you know I love you and, as I said, I like Jol but I feel much safer with Puel.  I just see no point in getting rid mid season (I don't want to get rid at all) when we are on for a safe mid table finish.  If we decide to replace him the summer would be optimum surely? X

5 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Does anybody have any faith in the club hierarchy finding and convincing a manager from say Spain, Germany or Italy to leave their club and join us? The managers we've appointed under the current administration haven't shown a great deal diligence. We've appointed a washed up big name in Sven, the bloke who used to manage us in Pearson, somebody that applied for the job in Ranieri, bloke who used to manage us' assistant in Shakespeare and then Puel who was out of work and available. There's no we'd have appointed Puel if he hadn't have managed in England beforehand.

Even the rumours before we appointed Puel were that it was Wagner we wanted, there's nothing to suggest we have much of n idea about the wider managerial landscape than ex or current Premier League managers which is quite concerning. Given that a some of our fanbase hates a bloke that's fluent in English and has worked here for two years, a new appointment better have a masterful grasp of the language.

My ideal choice would be Marco Rose, has done exceptionally well at RB Salzburg and they play fantastic football but I'd be surprised if anybody that should know at the club actually does. If Roger Schmidt wanted to return to Europe I'd be happy with that too.

It's an interesting point, there's certainly very little proof that they would do. Vichai and Top seemingly placed their faith in Rudkin, Whelan and Neville to plan for managerial appointments and although we are famous for having an incredible scouting and recruitment network on the playing side, we never placed the same research and importance in planning for new managers. Spookily, we were briefly linked with Schmidt when there was a long period of uncertainty over whether Shakespeare would be confirmed as the permanent manager. He played incredible football at Leverkusen but it came with many risks, I could see some big teething problems with that but we are safe from relegation surely and half a season practice for next season. Tin hats at the ready.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Evington Fosse Fox said:

After watching the dross on Saturday and then hearing Claude Poo Hells post match interview on MOTD, as the majority are stating, we need him out! 

For my 2 pennies worth:

1. Antonio Conte (he is available) 

2. Brendan Rogers (could be tempted) 

3. Raffa (wants out as Ashley not releasing an Jan window funds) 

4.Cambiosa (has not managed at this level but has coaching badges) 

Martin would lift the place but managers rarely do well in their second spell

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

It's an interesting point, there's certainly very little proof that they would do. Vichai and Top seemingly placed their faith in Rudkin, Whelan and Neville to plan for managerial appointments and although we are famous for having an incredible scouting and recruitment network on the playing side, we never placed the same research and importance in planning for new managers. Spookily, we were briefly linked with Schmidt when there was a long period of uncertainty over whether Shakespeare would be confirmed as the permanent manager. He played incredible football at Leverkusen but it came with many risks, I could see some big teething problems with that but we are safe from relegation surely and half a season practice for next season. Tin hats at the ready.

I don't think our recruitment network is all it's cracked up to be, seems to me it's based mostly on individual knowledge and contacts ratchet than us having a great system in place. Nobody knows exactly what Rudkin does but do many other Premier League (or top flight European clubs) place so much trust in a former youth coach? It's not necessary to have had an outstanding playing career but Rudkin was a schoolboy at Leicester, didn't make it and has been a youth coach/academy director ever since - it appears naive to me he has such responsibility with such an insular career in football.

Michael Edwards who has been pivotal in Liverpool's transformation never had an illustrious playing career but has worked at multiple clubs (including Southampton and Spurs), was an analyst and played in a part in a transfer committee before being promoted to the role he is in now https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/michael-edwards-liverpool-fsg-klopp-12124673.

In comparison Rudkin's experience is much more basic and doesn't have the same scouting and analytical background. 

• Thanks 1

The manager what they’ll be looking at if he goes is Rodgers, Benitez, Southgate these are all good with the press and would fit the type of manager they go for. I’d like Benitez out of them who’s out of contract in the summer and who can attract big names. 

3 minutes ago, dannythefox said:

The manager what they’ll be looking at if he goes is Rodgers, Benitez, Southgate these are all good with the press and would fit the type of manager they go for. I’d like Benitez out of them who’s out of contract in the summer and who can attract big names. 

I feel an open letter to Tim Berners-Lee coming on.

1 hour ago, Evington Fosse Fox said:

After watching the dross on Saturday and then hearing Claude Poo Hells post match interview on MOTD, as the majority are stating, we need him out! 

For my 2 pennies worth:

1. Antonio Conte (he is available)                                                                       - With that haircut? You must be joking.  No one will like that.

2. Brendan Rogers (could be tempted)                                                               - Played for Newport.  Are you kidding?

3. Raffa (wants out as Ashley not releasing an Jan window funds)                     - No hair and Spanish.  Who does he think he is?

4.Cambiosa (has not managed at this level but has coaching badges)              -  I believe he is Leo.  Nobody will like that, especially Pisces and Scorpio.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, yks said:

Unfortunately, yes, this a theme. Most of French coaches have a defensive mindset and are IMO, not very good.
Also, the pressure from the fans and a potential sack after a short period of bad results is so strong I think most of them chose to build something defensively strong to avoid the potential streaks of loss what might come with a more attacking mindset.
It's a vicious circle.
Recently Dall'Oglio was an offensive coach at Dijon but was fired because things weren't clicking this season.

Eh. While we're around the top half and building academy players I don't think I can classify puel as 'not very good'. Conservative, defensive, even boring - yes. As soon as we approach the relegation zone with him obviously ditch him. But spinning the manager wheel while we're mid table and growing the academy seems reckless - unless Top has some superstar lined up but that looks doubtful.

Edited by Foxxed
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, STUHILL said:

Who would you suggest? 

I think Rodgers is one of the realistic, better choices out there. I would also try tempt Howe but again people will pick holes in him. We need to be realistic who will come here and I also think we need a Manager that players and fans can reconnect with. We need a serious dose of an anti-Puel type personality IMO (IF he does go.) 

Wouldn't touch Rodgers or Benitez with a barge pole. I also really can't see the interest in Wagner. If they were seriously our only choices I'd stick with Puel personally. I'm sure there are managers out there that I've not heard of but don't know much about like Jardin. A quick look at him isn't exactly inspiring though, one good season to speak of and most clubs seem to have got rid of him after 1 year, why is that? Some people appear to just latch on to a foreign exotic sounding manager. Would love Simione but he's way out of our league. We'll just have to see who becomes available in the summer but have to be mindful of jumping out of the fat into the fire or worse. Another manager, new philosophy, more transfers and different clear out,  another 18 months settling in period by which time you can bet people on here will want rid yet again!

With our recent record with managers,  if it was me I'd think long and very hard before I came here. Supposed player unrest and the quick demise of our last few managers, one that had won the Premiership the year previous and one who took over a side in the relegation zone and finished 9th and who will most likely finish similar again. Don't think I'm selling the job very well but any decent proven manager would have to think more than twice!

Edited by volpeazzurro

2 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Apparently Wagner has left Huddersfield ?

Won't be this season

“As I had said previously, I had no intention of sacking David this season. Subsequently David – being the great man he is – came to us and made it clear that he needs a break from the rigours of football management.

Just now, Beechey said:

Won't be this season

“As I had said previously, I had no intention of sacking David this season. Subsequently David – being the great man he is – came to us and made it clear that he needs a break from the rigours of football management.

I’m never convinced by anything in football, he strikes me as being sincere but if he had a good offer he’d jump at the chance 

7 minutes ago, koop. said:

In fact I'd love to see Wagner here. Young and ambitious, with support and money I think he could do good things 

Yes, his average of 34% win rate over his managerial career of almost 320 games makes him a perfect candidate post-Puel.

Disaster waiting to happen.

Edited by Beechey