Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NewquayFox

Who then......

24 minutes ago, Stan said:

Lost 9 of the last 12, concedes loads of goals, but plays snazzy football.

Would go down a treat here.

Yeah, he has to take some flak for this as he has built a good and effective team but they regularly go spells of being awful. Not sure if he would be what we want really, fans would soon get pissed off.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah, he has to take some flak for this as he has built a good and effective team but they regularly go spells of being awful. Not sure if he would be what we want really, fans would soon get pissed off.

They are a very good side and he's done a great job with the club.

The thing that gets me is they are portrayed as a nice passing and entertaining side ,which they are.

But they certainly know the dark arts of the game and are very good at mixing it.

I wouldn't be against trying to get him but it would be a project and would take a fair bit of time.

Doubt he'd leave that job anyway, they're a good fit for each other.

Clear that some on here will not be happy until Puel has gone and then the merry go round will start. Nobody here knows Puel's remit from the club. Certainly by the summer a load of money will be freed up whether it will be this manager bringing in the replacements remains to be seen. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, lcfc true said:

Big Nige is coming home 

Its the only sensible option if he goes mid season, even after it still would be no worse than what we are currently witnessing we all know that.

With the terrible passing of Vichai we need someone to replace that gap, who knew the man his ambitions and knows the club that man is Pearson.

I'd rather we keep Puel if it means another hoper is coming in to try his ideas when we have a man like Pearson wasting his time in Belgium, let's remember Pearson wasn't sacked because of performances or results, there is still a large part of people at the club who have already worked with him and what he built worked and could say played a massive part in us winning the league.

no brainer

5 hours ago, Izzy said:

My prediction:

We lose three out of the next four, drop to 12th and the hatred for Puel gets so bad to the point where the board eventually sack him due to fan protests. 

It's decided that to appease the fans, the dream team of Pearson, Shakey and Walsh is brought back to rescue us. There's a slight bounce and a few good results, but we soon start to nose dive and finish the season in 16th.

During the summer there's a huge clear-out and we also lose a few of our star players. We make a couple of average signings but start next season as one of the favourites for the drop.

Next season is a disaster and there's no Great Escape this time and we get relegated back to the Championship.

There's no stadium expansion, King Power sell up, we go back to the yo-yo Leicester of old and spend the next 20 years wondering why we sacked Puel when we were a mid-table PL side.

Something like that :whistle:

Pretty much my fear.

I'd prefer to keep Puel as we'll finish mid table.

Then wait for a manager with a great academy record to become available.

If we're seeing no progress go with the new manager, someone like Galtier.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, steflcfc said:

What Puel is having to do at this football club currently is similar to when Pearson first took over.

Reduce playing squad, get average age down, change attitudes and style of play.

Whilst trying to remain competitive at the right end of the table.

We know this doesn’t and won’t happen overnight.

Moving on high earners with overpaid contracts who are just not good enough just doesn’t happen in 1/2 transfer windows.

The finances at the club are good but we don’t have 25-30 million to sign 11 world class players.....we have to look younger and hopefully turn these into better players.

The difference between the top 4 and everyone else this season is one thing Consistancy!

Man City/Liverpool may have one awful game in 15

Everyone from 6 down currently  can have a small run then garbage for 3/4 matches.

Every club has some quality in their sides, but these players can’t 

always turn in on, if they did every week they would be at one of the above clubs.

We need patience with these players and manager.....success at the club may be a season or two away with our main starting 11

but add a couple of players Puel wants and I think we’re not far off a very good side once everything clicks.

Whoever was in charge, will still have to oversee squad changes, reduced wage bill, sort an unbalanced squad whilst trying to keep most happy.

Thats not to add the extremely unfortunate loss of our owner, a stadium increase to come and a top notch state of the art training complex to hone current and  future stars of this football club.

A lot is happening at the club behind the scenes.

The future at the club will be exciting for seasons to come with what they have planned.

Wether it’s Puel or not another manager will have to attend to all the current issues with the squad and I don’t think anyone else will do a better job at it now or in the foreseeable future.

Problem is Puel has form of this terrible dross he calls football in France and here at Southampton. This is his way, whether he has the squad he wants or not. Are you happy to carry on watching this kind of football week in week out? 

2 hours ago, nathan. said:

Howe or Fonseca

There we are, Howe again... why?? I would rather stick to Puel...  (that was painful writing that...) 

If money was no object... and this was football manager, I’d pay Diego Simeone anything he wanted. One, kick some of these pre-Madonna cnuts up the arse. And two, make Rudkin shit his pants everytime he looked at him...

As that’s not going to happen... I guess there’s always Alan Pardew :blink: 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Foxxed said:

Galtier is the only one who is comparatively good with youth (as compared with puel). I have no idea if he'll come or what kind of manager he is.

Well, let's say people would call his head after 15 minutes in his first game.
He's nowhere near as good as Puel as a manager as his records shows and contrary to Puel, he is actually a "don't lose and maybe try to win" coach.

Still better than a failure in the Belgian second-tier though or coaches who only had one decent success in only one club during their career like Howe or Martinez.

8 minutes ago, yks said:

Well, let's say people would call his head after 15 minutes in his first game.
He's nowhere near as good as Puel as a manager as his records shows and contrary to Puel, he is actually a "don't lose and maybe try to win" coach.

Still better than a failure in the Belgian second-tier though or coaches who only had one decent success in only one club during their career like Howe or Martinez.

Christ. Is this a theme in French managers? Will make your academy world class but will be conservative in their style of football? If Puel can avoid the pitchforks and the team can ignore the threat of boos at home, I'd like to keep him until our academy is truly one of the best in the country then go for a more attacking manager who has half of puel's repetition for youngsters. I live in hope that Barnes increases our attacking threat this season.

4 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Christ. Is this a theme in French managers? Will make your academy world class but will be conservative in their style of football? If Puel can avoid the pitchforks and the team can ignore the threat of boos at home, I'd like to keep him until our academy is truly one of the best in the country then go for a more attacking manager who has half of puel's repetition for youngsters. I live in hope that Barnes increases our attacking threat this season.

Unfortunately, yes, this a theme. Most of French coaches have a defensive mindset and are IMO, not very good.
Also, the pressure from the fans and a potential sack after a short period of bad results is so strong I think most of them chose to build something defensively strong to avoid the potential streaks of loss what might come with a more attacking mindset.
It's a vicious circle.
Recently Dall'Oglio was an offensive coach at Dijon but was fired because things weren't clicking this season.

• Like 1

Even if I wanted to get rid of Puel, which I don't, just getting rid now and bringing in "someone connected to the club" is an odd suggestion in my opinion. As I said, I'm happy to keep him but surely even the Puel Out folk can see he's not getting us relegated and if one wanted to change manager the summer would be the wisest time after an actual researched, sensible candidate could be found.

But, as I said, PUEL IN. X 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

Its the only sensible option if he goes mid season, even after it still would be no worse than what we are currently witnessing we all know that.

With the terrible passing of Vichai we need someone to replace that gap, who knew the man his ambitions and knows the club that man is Pearson.

I'd rather we keep Puel if it means another hoper is coming in to try his ideas when we have a man like Pearson wasting his time in Belgium, let's remember Pearson wasn't sacked because of performances or results, there is still a large part of people at the club who have already worked with him and what he built worked and could say played a massive part in us winning the league.

no brainer

But his performance as a manager since he left us has been piss poor let's not forget and look back in time with dreamy eyed blue tinted glasses. He was also the one with poor tactical decisions that was taking us to the point of relegation until the miraculous great escape about which, rumours abound regarding who the actual motivator behind that was.

In any case, whatever the success was or wasn't in that era was most definitely down to a management team and not Pearson on his own and his mediocrity since tends to point to that. They are of course all currently out of work.  Personally I think it would be a huge backwards step but if it was to happen, I think you'd be safest with the team and not just NP.

• Thanks 1

On 13/01/2019 at 00:41, bmouth_fox said:

I don’t know if you are an ardent Puel out activist, but if that’s the best the Puel out can do... was the Cillit Bang guy not available? 

Pretty sure Appleton hasn't found a new job yet...

5 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

But his performance as a manager since he left us has been piss poor let's not forget and look back in time with dreamy eyed blue tinted glasses. He was also the one with poor tactical decisions that was taking us to the point of relegation until the miraculous great escape about which, rumours abound regarding who the actual motivator behind that was.

In any case, whatever the success was or wasn't in that era was most definitely down to a management team and not Pearson on his own and his mediocrity since tends to point to that. They are of course all currently out of work.  Personally I think it would be a huge backwards step but if it was to happen, I think you'd be safest with the team and not just NP.

Yep. Pearson, Shakespeare and Walsh are like a 3-legged stool. Take just one leg away and the whole thing collapses and you're on your arse.

• Haha 1