Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Claude Puel told job "Safe" - report

1 minute ago, Silva Fox said:

I don't get the idea that people would attend a football match or any other sporting event not to be entertained. I don't expect us to win every game or even necessarily play attractive football but I think it's reasonable to expect the team to be set up to have the best chance of beating teams in the lower half of the table and to scrap for their lives to avoid defeat to the big guns. I want to see passion from the players which starts with them understanding the roles they're being asked to play both individually and within an overall system. The atmosphere has been flat because there has been so little evidence of any of these basic things for the past couple of seasons now under Puel.

Yes it's great to see young players being given a chance but most seem to be regressing and there is little else to be optimistic about at present at least on the pitch.

You’ll always have people that will be happy with the ends justifying the means i.e. putting up with the god awful football and many other flaws as long as it gets us a top 10 finish.

I can see where these people are coming from and if you were offered a top 10 finished at the start of the season you’d snap it up. 

I think one of the problems people have with Puels teams is that they mistake the tactical approach he employs for a lack of effort/desire. The one thing we’ve been able to see from a Leicester team, even in the worst of times was effort from a good proportion of players on the pitch, even if they were limited they would still really try and show ‘pashun’. It reminds me of the Yakubu debate he was slated on here for not making much effort and ‘only scoring goals’ which when you think about it, its outrageous. Back to the point this team is set up in a way where they are instructed to be extremely patient in every aspect of their play it can be mistaken for a lack of effort and ‘pashun’. 

On the flip side the patient approach is awful to watch for the vast majority of fans, it has its faillings currently against teams that come to sit in against us and nick a goal and in those instances you’ve just got two negative styles of football cancelling each other out and leaving fans feeling like they aren’t being entertained and/or getting their moneys worth. Unfortunately this isn’t going to change whilst Puel is in charge as he is faithful to his beliefs, i don’t think its malicious he just genuinely thinks he knows best even if there is evidence to disprove that.

Just now, Trav Le Bleu said:

Wow! We've turned into a bunch of supporters for whom losing to Liverpool, Man Utd and Spurs is completely untenable.

It almost makes me wish we'd never won the league.

Almost.

I didn’t say I’d sack him did I? I feel that 5 premier league defeats in a row ( if it happens) alongside the cup defeat to Newport plus all the negative press stories we keep seeing written will mean he’d go. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dames said:

You’ll always have people that will be happy with the ends justifying the means i.e. putting up with the god awful football and many other flaws as long as it gets us a top 10 finish.

I can see where these people are coming from and if you were offered a top 10 finished at the start of the season you’d snap it up. 

I think one of the problems people have with Puels teams is that they mistake the tactical approach he employs for a lack of effort/desire. The one thing we’ve been able to see from a Leicester team, even in the worst of times was effort from a good proportion of players on the pitch, even if they were limited they would still really try and show ‘pashun’. It reminds me of the Yakubu debate he was slated on here for not making much effort and ‘only scoring goals’ which when you think about it, its outrageous. Back to the point this team is set up in a way where they are instructed to be extremely patient in every aspect of their play it can be mistaken for a lack of effort and ‘pashun’. 

On the flip side the patient approach is awful to watch for the vast majority of fans, it has its faillings currently against teams that come to sit in against us and nick a goal and in those instances you’ve just got two negative styles of football cancelling each other out and leaving fans feeling like they aren’t being entertained and/or getting their moneys worth. Unfortunately this isn’t going to change whilst Puel is in charge as he is faithful to his beliefs, i don’t think its malicious he just genuinely thinks he knows best even if there is evidence to disprove that.

That's a really wordy way of saying PASHUUN

29 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Wow! We've turned into a bunch of supporters for whom losing to Liverpool, Man Utd and Spurs is completely untenable.

Almost.

If we lost the next three matches I'd understand the argument for firing him better than I understand it now. We'd be 12th with 13th bearing down on us and within 8 or 9 points of the drop zone, not to mention on a six match losing run, 6-9 points short of what we need to survive. It'd mean we'd become incapable of beating either the weakest sides (regardless of which division they're in) or the strongest. We'd be little better off than the 14th spot and the lousy form we were in when he took over, and his points per game rate would be worse than his sacked predecessor. Some at the club, his direct boss specifically, would remember the impact of the Wycombe game and the consequences of not acting on a sustained slump. They may well equate it with the Newport match.

But that hasn't actually happened yet and, while it's not hard to imagine it happening we can't base our judgement on ifs and buts. The reality is that we're 9th,not far off 7th, and don't tend to finish much higher than that. We don't have a top 6 budget and it's a clearly transitional season at the beginning of a long-term project (which the board have decided is our best chance of ever being successful again).

All of our legendary managers have suffered top flight dips in form - Pearson, O'Neill (December and New Year 99-00 for instance), Bloomfield (at the end of his reign, when people wanted him fired too). All of them suffered cup upsets (see Grimsby and, very nearly, Hereford under MON). But Puel is still loosely on track to meet his primary objective for the season, and while that's the case we can't fire him without sending a warning shot across football that Leicester isn't necessarily a great place to be a boss.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I'd suspect he'll be gone in the summer. While we're not in danger it's not going to be a priority.

Think we're just going to have to suck it up and hope for some entertainment. Not holding my breath like.

Agreed, after everything that’s happened there inevitably needs to be some kind of perceived stability while the aftermath of Vichai’s death is sorted out.

I’ve mentioned this before but i suspect part of that could almost be a deliberate act of letting things go stale and a week before the end of the season an announcement is made which reenergises the players, staff and supporters for the season ahead.

It could be a painful period while that happens though so I can’t see us finishing higher than 11th which ultimately will be fine after the turmoil of the season.

3 hours ago, DrezZone said:

'More shots, more possession, more shots off target'

But ultimately we scored less goals and we lost the match. We seem to be having more shots and more possession in each game we lose, so there's clearly an issue.

This argument makes us sound like Spurs.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Agreed, after everything that’s happened there inevitably needs to be some kind of perceived stability while the aftermath of Vichai’s death is sorted out.

I’ve mentioned this before but i suspect part of that could almost be a deliberate act of letting things go stale and a week before the end of the season an announcement is made which reenergises the players, staff and supporters for the season ahead.

It could be a painful period while that happens though so I can’t see us finishing higher than 11th which ultimately will be fine after the turmoil of the season.

Agree with this. I think I've begrudgingly accepted that this season has become a bit of a write-off to be honest.

3 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

do you really think it’s that though?

i think it’s most likely the culmination of things over the season reaching a boiling point at this particular time of the season. It would be three more defeats on top of all the other ones recently.

Edited by MPH
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Babylon said:

Compared to what? With the exception of Ndidi, who frankly looks worse because he's being asked to pass the ball, it's a much of a muchness in terms of performances compared to the 18 months before he joined.

Ndidi when he first arrived looked excellent, he is playing worse now. Agreed he is being asked to pass the ball more, which he is not good at, so why ask him to do that. We have / had Silva and Iborra 2 players who are better at passing. surely play one of those with Ndidi would have been more effective. Let ndidi do what he is best at, and get a passer alongside him. 

Gray is no better or worse, agreed that is much of a muchness. but surely after having a player for 12+ months and he is no better shows no progress is being made. 

Chilwell is getting plenty of game time which is good. He is very good on the ball until final 3rd with his deliveries. And defensively he is not good enough yet. In time I am sure he will be one of the best left backs in the league. 

Choudhry I am sure we will agree has been our best holding mid last few games. So what does that do to his confidence to drop him and persist with Mendy and Ndidi. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

You want to lose 10 games a year? Watford, who are 7th, are currently on 8 losses with over 10 games to go. Mid table teams would be doing very well if they lost only 15 games in a season. 

The starting XI problem is largely a red herring, I feel. Wolves, who are a lot more inconsistent than us, have the most settled starting XI in the prem. Rotating players in and out of the squad give everyone oppurtunities to play and is useful for blooding in younger players, not to mention allowing for tactical flexibility. On top of this, a lot of the changes we have made this season have been forced by injury. 

No of course I don't want to lose 1O games per year. I said I expect us too. This comment is in relation to people who defend Puel saying we have unrealistic expectations. I do not expect to be in top 4 for the rest of my life. But I want to see players improving, playing for our team and being entertaining to watch. With the team we have these are all pretty reasonable. If Puel leaves I do not expect a higher league finish 8-12th regardless. Just playing a better style of football. Where our fans can get behind and create a wonderful atmosphere at home and away games again. I used to be so proud to see and hear the atmosphere all of our home fans and hear how much noise we created. Now we have become flat same as on pitch at home. 

Rotating does give game time, but also it shows the manager does not know his best 11. Wolves do have a consistent 11 agreed. My problem is not seeing any of the players improving or getting better. Look at United and Southampton, both changed managers, both changed style of play and now look at their results and application. United of course always going to do better in an attacking style, but Southampton have similar ability to ourselves potentially maybe slightly less, and now look how there team are playing. Just my opinion of course. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

He has stabilised the Backline...The Mahrez-move...Backed Chilwell....

Anybody against Ghezzal...then found Periera,Rekindled Mendys career(though poor last 3 games),previous CBs worries settled,

a team carrying Nachos,total lack of realising his potential.

An off form,and injured Vardy.A team favourite Ndidi,off form,and making infield basic passing errors....Naaa using Ghezzal,as a stick to beat Puel with!!pathetic

His team I will agree ,are not giving us regular above average performances,often frustrating results.....but I will take the positives against the negatives,

In this rebuilding period!!!...

Good job,we don't have a "digger". Available to disgruntled fans...:D

I don't think backline has been stabilised. Hence 5 defeats in 8. He has signed 2 potentially very good young defenders and has done well removing a few players as we have a far to large squad for just league games. 

Mahrez is impossible situation to win as he is arguably best player who has ever played for us. But I think he should have started to ease Mahrez out when the failed transfer happened and gave consistent game time to Gray. 

Chilwell it is great to see has been backed. But he is not improving for me. Still shows are tendencies in and out of possession. I do think he will be one of best left backs in league in time. 

Periera has been good, but then is he a rb, rw or lw. Play him in his best position and keep the defence balanced. Constant changes is another reason I do not think he has a stabilised the defence. 

That is too many off form players in our team Vardy + Ndidi. They are key to how we play, Vardy already came out and said the tactics do not suit him and this is why his worst goal return in years for us. Surely a decent coach gets the best players playing to their strengths and work around them.. 

I am sure we did the same with peter taylor and Akinbiyi. Comments on anyone we sign are valid, you get judged by how much you spend and how good the players are. Overall Puel transfers better than Ranieri and Shakespeare though I do give him that. 

I think our team has more potential and ability than we are showing, this is my problem with Puel. Nothing against league position as we will finish 8-12th regardless. Cup games though I do blame him for, both 2nd string teams. When a mid table team you take these seriously. Look at our days under O'neil. It is hard to remember finishing mid table 3 years in a row, yet I guarantee we all remember walking to wembley in a sea of blue against Spurs, Tranmere and Boro. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

But ultimately we scored less goals and we lost the match. We seem to be having more shots and more possession in each game we lose, so there's clearly an issue.

Remember how much everyone on here slagged off Spurs that season? 

Now some of those same people are making those excuses for Puel.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

He's making the point that the "defensive" stuff chucked at him isn't particularly true. Conservative at times? Yes. Slow to throw caution to the win? Yes. But the way people go on you'd think we were living off scraps, backs to the wall all game just with a focus on defending. Compare it to what we face most weeks from other clubs and it's not defensive football, he'd have probably picked up more points if we were defensive all the time.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Almost.

It has become a Curse. I've joked about it before but I'm starting to believe it is. 

13 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Almost.

There is absolutely no context to the way you've said this and its quite frankly wrong.

If we do lose to them 3 teams it would mean that Puel would have lost 7 games on the trot (which would put any manager in the world under pressure) and 7 of those losses will have included an embarassing loss against League Two Newport who aren't tearing up many trees in that division. 2 losses against relegation candidates, 1 which included a pathetic loss to a Southampton side missing many first team regulars and a loss to a newly promoted team. If we lose the next 3 it will absolutely devastate the confidence and form of the players and truth be told Puel doesn't seem like the man to be able to turn that around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1