Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Claude Puel told job "Safe" - report

One side of the coin as beautifully demonstrated by Chelsea.  From an article in the Mirror today.

When people say about Puel's time at Southampton 'ring any bells?';  we could also say about the below, 'ring any bells?'

Not for the first time this season, Maurizio Sarriâ's criticism of the mentality within Chelseaâ's dressing room raised a few eyebrows.

''They're extremely difficult to motivate,'' he said in the wake of their 2-0 defeat by Arsenal.

The fact his words had such a familiar ring wasnt just because it's the third or fourth time he has questioned his players since arriving in the summer. But because it's nothing Antonio Conte and Jose Mourinho didn't say before him as well.

The problem Sarri has, however, is the philosophy at Stamford Bridge. Which is, essentially that if the players don't take responsibility, it's the manager who carries the can.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/sarri-run-chelsea-problem-mourinho-13888144

Edited by AlloverthefloorYesNdidi
  • Like 2

The mirror understands and there is a lack of appetite in the corroridors of power for upheaval and that there are no immediate plans to get rid.

Hmm - all that sounds about right despite it being the most wishy washy sourceless reporting ever but I just can’t see him getting to the end of the season - especially if we lose the next couple as well.

49 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

The fanbase is ridiculous. We have a transitional mid table premier league side with promising academy players playing in the first team and you can hear tens of thousands of grown men's hearts breaking when we're told we'll have the same manager until the summer.

I think every football fan at every club is the same. When there is no success, or nothing to play for, then fans get frustrated, bored. Managers are always the first point of call.

How many teams have a long term manager these days? I would rather we stuck with someone who is doing an OK job for a longer period than change manager every 6 months and return to square one every time. Hoping to find that special manager who finally not only changes the team but plays entertaining football and takes us into the Top 6. Seems like that is people's expectation anyway.

9 hours ago, Tuna said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/leicester-tell-claude-puel-job-13889720

James Nursey article for The Mirror.

Mirror Sport understands Puel, 57, has been told his future is not under immediate threat after taking charge in October 2017 on a deal until 2020.

3 hours ago, Sir Shep said:

Well there you go, now let’s please move on. 

lol lol lol has anyone checked the date on the story? 

Hardly upto the minute breaking news. Things may have changed slightly if it's even true. 

More like made up bollox. 

7 minutes ago, sylofox said:

lol lol lol has anyone checked the date on the story? 

Hardly upto the minute breaking news. Things may have changed slightly if it's even true. 

More like made up bollox. 

1am this morning though story is probably the right word.

What usually happens to managers who are told their job is safe! if he needs telling that his job is safe then how safe is his job!. we should all give him the support he needs but he needs to get the players on board of what he is trying to do and start producing something tangable that is working that we can all see. the results and the performances need to improve from now till the end of the season.

1 hour ago, Ian Nacho said:

Whether you like him or not. Let's get behind him until the end of the season at least. 

If not him then surely people can get behind whichever 11 lads in blue happen to be playing under him each week. A positive atmosphere would do wonders for our home form, I've no doubt about that.

• Like 2

With everything that's happened the last 12-18 months then leave it until summer. Realistically we won't finish lower than say 14th at worst. My feeling is let's just have a mid table finish this season then prepare for change in summer.

Problem you have is what happened at Man City a few years ago before Pep came in - players knew the manager was off so downed tools. Club needs to stick by Puel - even only verbally - otherwise we'll drop like a stone. 

Though the backing of the board is never a good sign

24 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

I thini he's safe however if we lose the next game and the fans start calling for it, i think it'll change.

This in a nutshell really... safe and carrying on as normal... but if this turns into 5 losses in a row and half the stadium is singing it then it becomes a business critical decision to keep people spending money at games. 

Why does anyone believe this? Don't you know how tabloid newspapers work? 

Yes, he might be 'safe' for now - i.e. this week - but things happen very quickly in football, and if our current run of three successive defeats stretches to seven or eight, then you can be sure that the Mirror will be reporting something else entirely.

My view is that as long as we are not in danger of relegation - which would take some doing - Puel should be judged on the whole season, even if it means a load more boring matches and embarrassing defeats, because let's face it, after the next three games (barring another Christmas miracle) we are unlikely to have anything positive left to play for (i.e. Europe) so if we do have a terrible end to the season then Puel can have no complaints about being sacked. Equally, if results are good, and clear and obvious progress is apparent, with some exciting and entertaining football thrown in, then he will have earned the right to stay.

But, whatever the Mirror might report, it's pretty obvious that right now he is under pressure - from a sizeable percentage of the fans if no one else - and he must know that the only way he will earn that right to stay is by getting the team to perform on a consistent basis, especially at home.

The ball's in your court, Claude. 

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

Remember when we gave Ranieri our 'Unwavering support' on the 7th of February before sacking him on the 23rd of February?

Just pray that they do something similar again.

Unfortunately by now we are already eliminated from the cup earlier and too far away from relegation zone ?