Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
yorkie1999

Also in the news

1 hour ago, Swan Lesta said:

The actual act is pretty meh. I used to have a nightclub and to be honest I’ve seen a lot worse but if you are going to stand up and be all protecting and heroic and you don’t know what you are doing then just block the direction of the person with your body arms outstretched and ask for some ‘help over here’ or take her right elbow with your left hand and calmly ask her to leave or return to her seat or whatever.

Rough joint, eh, "The Fighting Swan"?

Patrons often got a cob on, punched one another in the beak with their cygnet rings or got their peckers out.

Fossil fuels produce less than half of UK electricity for first time

Zero-carbon energy sources are poised to overtake fossil fuels as the UK’s largest electricity source over a full calendar year.

This year will be the first that fossil fuels make up less than half of the electricity generated, according to National Grid, following a dramatic decline in coal-fired power and rising renewable energy.

Instead, UK homes and businesses will rely more on clean electricity generated by wind farms, solar panels, hydro power and nuclear power reactors.

A decade ago, coal plants generated almost a third of the UK’s electricity, but in the first half of this year they have provided only 3%.

In the same period renewable energy has climbed from supplying just 2% of the UK’s power to a fifth of all electricity produced.

The “landmark tipping point” is an “historic achievement” in the UK’s journey towards becoming a net-zero carbon economy by 2050, said National Grid.

John Pettigrew, the UK power system operator’s chief executive, said: “The incredible progress that Britain has made in the past 10 years means we can now say 2019 will be the year zero-carbon power beats fossil fuel-fired generation for the first time.”

“We wouldn’t have said it if we weren’t confident that this will be the year.”

National Grid is able to confidently predict the 2019 record only six months into the year following the UK’s greenest ever winter, and the huge number of coal-free days recorded since then.

The UK reached a record stretch of consecutive 18 coal-free days earlier this year, which ended on 4 June.

The electricity system reached a second record this week after racking up 1,838 coal-free hours for this year, breaking a record set across the whole of 2018 in a little over six months.

The coal-free days have effectively prevented 5m tonnes of carbon dioxide from entering the atmosphere, or the equivalent of over 12bn miles driven in a car.

Chris Skidmore MP, the interim energy minister, said coal is “fast becoming the fossil of our energy system and it will soon be consigned to the history books”.

He added: “We’ve set in stone our commitment to end our contribution to climate change entirely by 2050 and this is yet another step on the path to becoming a net zero emissions economy.”

By the end of the winter the UK will be left with only five remaining coal fired power plants, after SSE said last week it plans to shut its Fiddler’s Ferry plant near Warrington, Cheshire, next March. SSE revealed the closure after EDF Energy said it would shut its Cottam coal plant in September.

The government plans to phase out all coal-fired power generation by 2025.

National Grid is spending around £1.3bn a year to adapt the grid to run on renewable energy, and believes that it will be ready to manage a completely zero-carbon electricity grid within six years.

“Do I expect that this will be a reality? No,” Pettigrew said. “But we won’t be a constraint in a low carbon world. We will be prepared to play our role.”

Doug Parr, Greenpeace UK’s chief scientist, said the “watershed moment” is a sign that the UK is “broadly heading in the right direction”. 

“The question is, are we moving fast enough?” he said.

Research undertaken by National Grid alongside its record forecast has found that “climate anxiety” is rising because people believe there is a lack of urgency in tackling the climate crisis.

Nearly seven out of 10 people surveyed by National Grid are concerned about climate change and believe it is not being addressed urgently enough.

More than a third of young people said their concerns about climate change would drive them to join a protest. Almost a fifth of 18- to 24-year-olds said they are prepared to skip school or work to do this, possibly inspired by student activist Greta Thurnberg who visited the UK earlier this summer.

“As the climate emergency hits home right across the globe from Greenland’s melting ice to India’s scorching heatwave, the clock is ticking on our chances to avoid climate breakdown and public anxiety rightly remains high about the speed of change,” Parr said.

“This is no time for ministers to pat themselves on the back and uncork the bubbly,” he said.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jun/21/zero-carbon-energy-overtakes-fossil-fuels-as-the-uks-largest-electricity-source

Edited by Beechey

28 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

No problem with Field frogmarching out a protester as there was seemingly little security around.

The manner of it, however, was over the top and he should rightly apologise.

Had it been my daughter protesting, and assuming she didn't suffer any physical damage, I wouldn't have a massive issue with it.

She shouldn't have been there and probably expected to get chucked out.

As others have said, the left/right viewpoints are typical.

Had it been Corbyn doing it, you know social media would've viewed it quite differently.

I was once in Walkabout years ago when you were a DJ there and remember you making a joke to the entire bar about an 18/19 year old girl needing to be careful about wearing her white dress to avoid 'looking like the Japanese flag' if it were her time of the month, so I don't dispute that claim :ph34r:. No idea why I remember that, but I can't see a woman in a white dress on a night out without thinking about it anymore.

23 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Except every situation we find ourselves in is different. Sometimes we fight, sometimes we run away (flight) and sometimes we freeze (do nothing)

Makes me smile how how everyone is an expert on what was going on in Fields' head last night. Even though he said he was "genuinely worried" and "instinctively reacted" and that guests had "understandably felt threatened" that's obviously not a good enough explanation for some...

If I'm ever on trial for something that I definitely did, I sincerely hope you're one of the 12 of my peers who comes to decide my fate. One heartfelt story later and you'll be sending me back on my merry way with another case of boys will be boys. Image result for boys will be boys simpsons

Edited by David Guiza
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Strokes said:

Im surprised how many support Field’s behaviour tbh, i don’t believe for one second he was frightened, just angry. I’d have slapped him silly if I’d been present, absolutely unacceptable.

Agreed, I was surprised no-one stood up and intervened.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

If I'm ever on trial for something that I definitely did, I sincerely hope you're one of the 12 of my peers who comes to decide my fate. One heartfelt story later and you'll be sending me back on my merry way with another case of boys will be boys. 

Yeah, just like Janet Barker’s heartfelt story of how she was treated last night.

But hey, just another case of protesters will be protesters :rolleyes:

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

I was once in Walkabout years ago when you were a DJ there and remember you making a joke to the entire bar about an 18/19 year old girl needing to be careful about wearing her white dress to avoid 'looking like the Japanese flag' if it were her time of the month, so I don't dispute that claim :ph34r:. No idea why I remember that, but I can't see a woman in a white dress on a night out without thinking about it anymore.

If I'm ever on trial for something that I definitely did, I sincerely hope you're one of the 12 of my peers who comes to decide my fate. One heartfelt story later and you'll be sending me back on my merry way with another case of boys will be boys. Image result for boys will be boys simpsons

Classy.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

No problem with Field frogmarching out a protester as there was seemingly little security around.

The manner of it, however, was over the top and he should rightly apologise.

Had it been my daughter protesting, and assuming she didn't suffer any physical damage, I wouldn't have a massive issue with it.

She shouldn't have been there and probably expected to get chucked out.

As others have said, the left/right viewpoints are typical.

Had it been Corbyn doing it, you know social media would've viewed it quite differently.

But because it's someone else's daughter that makes it okay? 

Apologies if I've misunderstood what you've said there.

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

But because it's someone else's daughter that makes it okay? 

Apologies if I've misunderstood what you've said there.

No, I'm not saying what he did was okay. It wasn't okay but equally I don't think it's as bad as some are making out.

Purely from my point of view, if my daughter went somewhere uninvited like that and got manhandled out in the same fashion, without any physical damage, I wouldn't be going nuts demanding resignations etc.

He went over the top and has rightly apologised and if it had been my daughter I would've considered that the end of the matter.

Perhaps I didn't make that clear enough initially.

Protesting is fine to make a point but in this current climate I can understand why people sometimes react in the way they do. Not excusing it though.

• Like 4

Police called to loud altercation at Boris Johnson's home

Neighbour records shouting and banging at flat potential PM shares with Carrie Symonds

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/21/police-called-to-loud-altercation-at-boris-johnsons-home

Police were called to the home of Boris Johnson and his partner, Carrie Symonds, in the early hours of Friday morning after neighbours heard a loud altercation involving screaming, shouting and banging.

The argument could be heard outside the property where the potential future prime minister is living with Symonds, a former Conservative party head of press.

neighbour told the Guardian they heard a woman screaming followed by “slamming and banging”. At one point Symonds could be heard telling Johnson to “get off me” and “get out of my flat”.

The neighbour said that after becoming concerned they knocked on the door but received no response. “I [was] hoping that someone would answer the door and say ‘We’re okay’. I knocked three times and no one came to the door.”

The neighbour decided to call 999. Two police cars and a van arrived within minutes, shortly after midnight, but left after receiving reassurances from both the individuals in the flat that they were safe.

When contacted by the Guardian on Friday, police initially said they had no record of a domestic incident at the address. But when given the case number and reference number, as well as identification markings of the vehicles that were called out, police issued a statement saying: “At 00:24hrs on Friday, 21 June, police responded to a call from a local resident in [south London]. The caller was concerned for the welfare of a female neighbour.

“Police attended and spoke to all occupants of the address, who were all safe and well. There were no offences or concerns apparent to the officers and there was no cause for police action.”

Carrie Symonds.  Carrie Symonds was part of the team involved in the launch of Johnson’s leadership campaign launch. Photograph: Guy Bell/Rex/Shutterstock

Johnson and Symonds have increasingly appeared together at public events in recent weeks. The former mayor of London topped Thursday’s ballot of Conservative MPs in the party leadership contest and is now the favourite against Jeremy Hunt to be the next prime minister.

The neighbour said they recorded the altercation from inside their flat out of concern for Symonds. On the recording, heard by the Guardian, Johnson can be heard refusing to leave the flat and telling Symonds to “get off my ****ing laptop” before there is a loud crashing noise.

Symonds is heard saying Johnson had ruined a sofa with red wine: “You just don’t care for anything because you’re spoilt. You have no care for money or anything.”

The neighbour said: “There was a smashing sound of what sounded like plates. There was a couple of very loud screams that I’m certain were Carrie and she was shouting to ‘get out’ a lot. She was saying ‘get out of my flat’ and he was saying no. And then there was silence after the screaming. My partner, who was in bed half asleep, had heard a loud bang and the house shook.”

Johnson left his wife, Marina Wheeler, last year and began a relationship with Symonds, who has been credited with revitalising his appearance and approach to politics. She was part of his team when he publicly launched his campaign for the Tory leadership earlier this month.

In recent weeks the couple have been sharing a flat in a converted Victorian house. It has been reported that they intend to move into Downing Street together if he is elected leader.

Johnson’s office was contacted earlier on Friday for comment but had not responded by the time of publication.

Edited by Buce

Field behaved like an entitled thug. Would like to see his reaction if this had been that Tory loudmouth that invaded Esther McVey's leadership speech. Wouldn't be shocked if the prat has a history of bullying women.https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/video/video-1942826/Angry-protester-disrupts-Esther-McVeys-Tory-leadership-campaign-launch.html

35 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

No, I'm not saying what he did was okay. It wasn't okay but equally I don't think it's as bad as some are making out.

Purely from my point of view, if my daughter went somewhere uninvited like that and got manhandled out in the same fashion, without any physical damage, I wouldn't be going nuts demanding resignations etc.

He went over the top and has rightly apologised and if it had been my daughter I would've considered that the end of the matter.

Perhaps I didn't make that clear enough initially.

Protesting is fine to make a point but in this current climate I can understand why people sometimes react in the way they do. Not excusing it though.

This precisely.

I strongly support climate change activists doing their best to make their point in any way possible, but if you do make these sort of protests you have to accept the possibility of some degree of manhandling. I expect she was slightly shaken but otherwise unhurt. If you can’t take it don’t go.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Izzy said:

If the Police were called to my house every time there was slamming and banging while I tell the wife to "get off my fvcking laptop" and she tells me to "get out", they'd practically be living here.

Yeah, but you don’t have aspirations to run the country. 

11 minutes ago, MattP said:

The next few weeks are going to be interesting, everything will be tried to stop Boris becoming PM.

I really don’t think it will make any difference. Whatever he does, the Tory faithful will vote him in regardless. 

Guest MattP
16 minutes ago, Nickfosse said:

I really don’t think it will make any difference. Whatever he does, the Tory faithful will vote him in regardless. 

I agree.

It will be as successful as the closet media campaign to make Rory Stewart win it, people are a bit more wise to this sort of stuff now. 

Edited by MattP

8 minutes ago, MattP said:

I agree.

It will be as successful as the closet media campaign to make Rory Stewart win it, people are a bit more wise to this sort of stuff now. 

I think you’re right, though I’m not sure all of Boris’s misdemeanours are the invention of a closet media campaign ?