Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Palace at Home - Pre Match

On 12/02/2019 at 07:18, mozartfox said:

Personally, I am extremely miffed at being done over the Owl 3 times out of 3.  This really has to stop.   3pts or I can see FT crashing post-match under the strain of the amount of traffic.

It'll be like narborough road on match day on here

• Haha 1

This is by no means a reflection on my view of Puel but I don't get a good vibe on this game, Palace have become our bogey team.. granted last game finished 1-0 but we usually seem to struggle against them recently.

Didn't realise our Head to Head record with them was W:26 D:18 and L:26

2 minutes ago, OhYesNdidi said:

What is going on with that midfield? Hamza on the right? Oh dear lol

Diamond maybe.

Ndidi

Choudhury  Tielemans

Maddison

Edited by Beechey

1 minute ago, OhYesNdidi said:

What is going on with that midfield? Hamza on the right? Oh dear lol

There is no right. It's a fluid midfield with Choudhury and Ndidi playing predominantly defensive roles and Maddison and Tielemans playing predominantly attacking roles. Ricardo is going down the RW, chilwell down the left. Barnes and Gray are floating upfront wherever they want. 

I'm amazed some people still see football as a fixed position game.

2 minutes ago, FIF said:

There is no right. It's a fluid midfield with Choudhury and Ndidi playing predominantly defensive roles and Maddison and Tielemans playing predominantly attacking roles. Ricardo is going down the RW, chilwell down the left. Barnes and Gray are floating upfront wherever they want. 

You did have the team set up in a 4-4-2 without any info into the diamond thing you had going on, so you can see why I thought that.

Edited by OhYesNdidi

2 hours ago, FIF said:

So a 4-2-2-2 then? Not sure we should be experimenting with formations again when we seem to have found something that works.

The 4-3-3 is flexible anyway. The fullbacks can push on with Ndidi sitting back to cover, Tielemans/Maddison take on that central role but are free to push up as required. The front 3 is fluid and rotates as required, with Ghezzal often ending up central, Gray/Albrighton (when fit) switching wings, etc. Even Maguire's position isn't fixed at the back so he can step in front of Ndidi.

The only 'fixed' positions in the 4-3-3 are Evans, Kasper and - if he plays - Vardy.

2 minutes ago, Xen said:

So a 4-2-2-2 then? Not sure we should be experimenting with formations again when we seem to have found something that works.

The 4-3-3 is flexible anyway. The fullbacks can push on with Ndidi sitting back to cover, Tielemans/Maddison take on that central role but are free to push up as required. The front 3 is fluid and rotates as required, with Ghezzal often ending up central, Gray/Albrighton (when fit) switching wings, etc. Even Maguire's position isn't fixed at the back so he can step in front of Ndidi.

The only 'fixed' positions in the 4-3-3 are Evans, Kasper and - if he plays - Vardy.

No Not 4-2-2-2, not 4-4-2 , not 4-3-3.

Good players playing where they are needed when they are needed. 

You get too hung up on "formations", when in reality they don't exist. When on a break is a team in any of those formations? 

I think I'm wasting my time trying to talk football to FM players.

6 minutes ago, FIF said:

You get too hung up on "formations", when in reality they don't exist. When on a break is a team in any of those formations? 

Never played FM in my life.

Regardless of what players do on the pitch there is still a general formation they are in. 'Formation' isn't a rigid definition, otherwise we'd all be playing fooSball instead. It's the general areas of the pitch that players occupy.

If you have two holding midfielders and two more 'attacking' midfielders that's a 4-2-2-2, even with flexibility.

Formations written as numbers over-simplify things anyway; if you look at any manager's tactics board there'll be arrows all over the place indicating movement.

And yes, when we're on a break the formation is still evident. Very rarely did Ndidi/Mendy join our breaks - they'd take it up to the edge of the center circle, pass out wide and then sit there.

But anyway, I digress. My point wasn't really to discuss formations/rigidity etc. It was more to call you out on suggesting that we go BACK to the 2DM 'formation' which people have criticised for months when we've just seen and pretty unanimously agree that 1DM+2CM is much more effective.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FIF said:

It's horrible FIF

3 hours ago, Beechey said:

I prefer our midfield 3 of Ndidi, Maddison and Tielemans myself. Seems well balanced.

Hamza should be on the bench, and I expect he will be. Gives us the option to change shape if need be.

I'm of the mind that we need to go out with essentially an unchanged team, other than to move Gray to the wing, Ghezzal off the bench and Vardy on the pitch.

There's a huge case on here for N'Didi starting from Last Sunday on but I wouldn't throw Mendy on the scrapheap just yet.

It was Wilf's best game in ages but he was caught out for the 3rd goal.Also he hasn't dominated the Palace game in the past and got sent off in last seasons home fixture. 

He was aided in large part by Tielemans alongside him but Mendy might also work well with the Belgian lad.

I suspect N'Didi has a higher performance ceiling than Mendy and that he is more valued within the club (Mendy is still looked upon as a Musa/Slimani era bad signing for many) but it's worth using both players at some point with the new signing.

7 minutes ago, MonkeyTennis? said:

I honestly believe that now is the time when everything will come together and we will fvcking crush them...

...but I honestly believed that about the Spurs game as well!

It was so close to being true of the Spurs game :cry:

Palace are going to get f***ed so hard they will be limping down the tunnel

:scarf:

• Like 1

This game for me is very worrying. After the awesome display against Spurs, my heart is telling me we are going to go out onto the pitch all guns blazing and totally play them off the field. Sadly my head is saying but but remember what happened when we played them last year... 

Of recent games we have on the whole played very well and been unlucky to not get the points. I'm just hoping come week on Saturday we finish the game with +3 points. Don't even care if its boring... Just bloody win at home. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

This game for me is very worrying. After the awesome display against Spurs, my heart is telling me we are going to go out onto the pitch all guns blazing and totally play them off the field. Sadly my head is saying but but remember what happened when we played them last year... 

Of recent games we have on the whole played very well and been unlucky to not get the points. I'm just hoping come week on Saturday we finish the game with +3 points. Don't even care if its boring... Just bloody win at home. 

Don't fret too much. Last year is last year. We're not who we were then, and they're not the same either. New season, new year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UPinCarolina said:

Don't fret too much. Last year is last year. We're not who we were then, and they're not the same either. New season, new year.

:worship: Oh wise and sage, your teachings I shall follow :worship:

:)

Plus no Zaha :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Suzie the Fox said:

It's a pivotal game, a must win. Cant help but feel if we don't, then we also will make a pigs ear of the Brighton game a few days later and no win in either and the pressure really will mount.

They are a strange team are Palace, cant for the life of me pinpoint why we are so bad against them. Its seemed like something happened when we were 2-0 up against them and cruising back in 2017 under Shakespeare and then it's all gone to shit. We were lucky to hold on for a point in the end and since then we've had the square root of nowt.

They are owed a defeat and we are due a proper performance and score more than a goal or two.

• Like 2

After the display against spuds and to a lesser extent Man Utd, providing we don't muck around with any unfathomable team changes (Vardy in for Gray should be only change IMO) someone very shortly is going to get a battering from us when we start converting the chances that Tielemans/Maddison combination can create. Lets hope its Palace as we really owe them one.

• Like 1