Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Claude Puel reveals his plan for Leicester City, involving Youri Tielemans and James Maddison

I'm not a rabid anti-Puel poster, he's overhauled the squad brilliantly but I'm fairly sure the wave of optimism on here will have vanished at 17:30 on Saturday. We've played well at Old Trafford and the Emirates and they were both false dawns. Another encouraging performance at a depleted Spurs side doesn't really tell us much. The Palace and Brighton games will reveal if we've turned a corner and Youri is the missing piece, I'd love to be proved wrong but I just can't see it.

1 minute ago, Stadt said:

I'm not a rabid anti-Puel poster, he's overhauled the squad brilliantly but I'm fairly sure the wave of optimism on here will have vanished at 17:30 on Saturday. We've played well at Old Trafford and the Emirates and they were both false dawns. Another encouraging performance at a depleted Spurs side doesn't really tell us much. The Palace and Brighton games will reveal if we've turned a corner and Youri is the missing piece, I'd love to be proved wrong but I just can't see it.

We don't play until the 23rd so might last a little longer than that.

There’s a wee trend in this thread of talking to each other, instead of past each other.  More calm explanations that ALL CAPS and multiple exclamation points!!!!!   Something in the air today? 

Or maybe that nearly all of us are tired of this, and can agree this is Claude’s endgame.  The outs figure we’ll be rid of the ****.  The ins that he will finally prove he is Moses in a lined vest, and take us to the Promised Land.  And us agnostics that it will be proven one way or the other and the right decision can be made, at the right time for making it (as this season nears its end). 

• Like 1

Apologies if already posted. 

Leicester City boss Claude Puel reveals why he substitutes James Maddison so much

Leicester City boss Claude Puel has revealed why he has substituted attacking midfielder James Maddison so regularly this season.

The 22-year-old, who joined City from Norwich City in a £22 million deal in the summer, has started 23 games this season but has been substituted 14 times.

Puel was booed by the supporters the last time he dragged Maddison off, in the 1-0 home defeat to Manchester United at the King Power Stadium, but the Frenchman says it is not an indication of how highly he rates the England under-21 international.

Puel believes Maddison, who started the season superbly and earned a call up to the senior England squad, has the potential to become a crucial player for City but he needs more time to become influential in games for the full 90 minutes.

“James has only been playing in the Premier League for a few months and he has to keep his focus and concentration on his game,” said Puel.

“For a young player, we have to find the good consistency in his game and be able to do it for a full game, a full 90 minutes.

“Maddison and the young players are not the finished article. They haven’t got enough consistency and clinical edge all the time. 
“He needs to find sometimes the consistency and have an impact all the time in games, but this is normal for a young player.

“He knows a lot of good things from the beginning of the season. He was more clinical from the beginning of the season and we need to find again a good clinical edge, to have more impact in games, but this is normal for a young player who is continuing his development.

“For young players it is not easy to keep the same level and consistency and concentration all the time in their game.

“They need to make progress and we will be patient with these players.

“Perhaps we don’t always have the right result but the interest they generate raises the profile of the club.

“They have time to continue their work and to develop themselves.

“Leicester City is a good club and we are now showing the project we are trying to put in place.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Apologies if already posted. 

Leicester City boss Claude Puel reveals why he substitutes James Maddison so much

Leicester City boss Claude Puel has revealed why he has substituted attacking midfielder James Maddison so regularly this season.

The 22-year-old, who joined City from Norwich City in a £22 million deal in the summer, has started 23 games this season but has been substituted 14 times.

Puel was booed by the supporters the last time he dragged Maddison off, in the 1-0 home defeat to Manchester United at the King Power Stadium, but the Frenchman says it is not an indication of how highly he rates the England under-21 international.

Puel believes Maddison, who started the season superbly and earned a call up to the senior England squad, has the potential to become a crucial player for City but he needs more time to become influential in games for the full 90 minutes.

“James has only been playing in the Premier League for a few months and he has to keep his focus and concentration on his game,” said Puel.

“For a young player, we have to find the good consistency in his game and be able to do it for a full game, a full 90 minutes.

“Maddison and the young players are not the finished article. They haven’t got enough consistency and clinical edge all the time. 
“He needs to find sometimes the consistency and have an impact all the time in games, but this is normal for a young player.

“He knows a lot of good things from the beginning of the season. He was more clinical from the beginning of the season and we need to find again a good clinical edge, to have more impact in games, but this is normal for a young player who is continuing his development.

“For young players it is not easy to keep the same level and consistency and concentration all the time in their game.

“They need to make progress and we will be patient with these players.

“Perhaps we don’t always have the right result but the interest they generate raises the profile of the club.

“They have time to continue their work and to develop themselves.

“Leicester City is a good club and we are now showing the project we are trying to put in place.”

Interesting the bit in bold. I'm starting to believe this really is a three year project. And unless we're clearly going down he'll be the man at the helm of it all. We're trying to become self sufficient and develop young players to sell for a profit, i'd like us to try and poach some of Brentfords development network as their model for this is excellent. 

• Like 3

On 13/02/2019 at 09:56, Cardiff_Fox said:

You'll find that 75% of 'Puel Cheerleaders' are largely realists of our situation, and there's very little reason to advocate changing manager mid-season in our circumstances. Puel has a personality which doesn't fit with our squad or current staff - that's the hard edge of the scenario. However, benefits exist which can't be ignored. 

Largely my arguments are defending Puel are because opinions are form off 'edited' statistics rather than looking at things as a whole. 

It's not that I am Puel In. I am 'why the **** tarnish the clubs reputation by hiring some rent-a-manager which occurs mid-season?' I am 'why insist that Top and his family go through unnecessary hardship at a culturally difficult time for them?' I am 'why not just have some faith given the club's general success in past few years has been where patience is shown?' I am 'why continually allow a squad to manage the club?'

To add I think Puel will be gone in the Summer which sits fine with me. Gives a larger pool of managers to attract. Gives an opportunity for a new manager to asses the squad etc. The next few fixtures define if Puel has done the unfavourable work for someone else to succeed or if he will deemed as a total failure. 

If Puel gets sacked in the next month, we will either rush an appointment or we will appoint someone like Shakespeare till the end of the season. 

I do somewhat goad other posters  and probably your good self at some point but this I can’t really disagree with.

On 12/02/2019 at 00:26, foxes21 said:

Brilliant post :schmike:

This 4-3-3 system with one holding midfielder mopping up behind Tielemans / Maddison in theory will also help us to break teams down.

Ndidi needs to stop running all over the place though, in this system his job is to 1) recycle possession with simple passes to our attack minded players, 2) sit and hold to protect us against the counter. Basically the same role as Fernandinho / Henderson / Matic who all play in the exact same system.

Tielemans has already had a positive effect on Maddison and I think he will do the same for Vardy with his through balls and ability to spot runs. 

The key to all of this though, is Puel. He says he has found a system.. Ok great. Now stick to it! Stop chopping and changing the system, the formation, the personnel. Stick to the same side and formation and build on it! No more 4-2-3-1, no more Gray upfront. One team, week in week out, barring injury/suspensions. Time for some consistency. 

But if you want Puel...to stick to it..etc..etc!!!  Then Gray was part of that set up...like you say,   "Time for some consistency"...e rrrmm or not!   :D

On 11/02/2019 at 23:26, foxes21 said:

Ndidi needs to stop running all over the place though, in this system his job is to 1) recycle possession with simple passes to our attack minded players, 2) sit and hold to protect us against the counter. Basically the same role as Fernandinho / Henderson / Matic who all play in the exact same system.

I think this is why Mendy was selected ahead of Ndidi against Tottenham. Happy just to sit, and tidier in recycling possession with short passes (if we put aside his recent rickets!). 

No harm if Ndidi does sit out a few games. He's still young and played a lot of games. Give him time to reflect on further developmwnt of his game.  Though I'd be wary we might miss his physicality and tackling. 

On 13/02/2019 at 16:58, AjcW said:

Interesting the bit in bold. I'm starting to believe this really is a three year project. And unless we're clearly going down he'll be the man at the helm of it all. We're trying to become self sufficient and develop young players to sell for a profit, i'd like us to try and poach some of Brentfords development network as their model for this is excellent. 

I've also been an admirer of Brentford from afar. Without knowing much at all about the club, I have noticed that for several seasons now they seem to bring through a number of coveted young players. I hope we are taking notice of such clubs and look to learn from their methods/personnel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deep blue said:

I've also been an admirer of Brentford from afar. Without knowing much at all about the club, I have noticed that for several seasons now they seem to bring through a number of coveted young players. I hope we are taking notice of such clubs and look to learn from their methods/personnel.

I watched the Brentford Villa game on Wednesday night and their style of play looks very similar to ours, just more effective. They have creativity in midfield, quick and tricky players out wide and they all pass pretty well, with a good goal scorer to finish it off. They're patient in passing across the midfield just outside the box and wait for the right moment to play the killer ball. Our problem is obviously the killer ball, 

On 13/02/2019 at 07:58, Ric Flair said:

I think it's time there was some.sort of acceptance of each side as it's clear Puel is doing some things that will benefit this club long term, its just it's likely to be carried out by another regime down the line. 

What amuses me is the Puel In brigade can be very abusive and irate towards the fans who want Puel out, dont take it so personal lads. Claude is a strong minded person and the years salary he'll be chuffed up in the summer will cushion the blow.

I hope we have a positive end to the season, these next 5-6 games on paper look like the sort of run we could put together and the feelgood factor about the place will return. We have been diabolical at home for a year now and the supporters of Puel can come up will all sorts of weird and wonderful reasons to ignore that but the fact is, if we dont turn this around before the end of the season then he is going and rightly so. 

No, people get irate about people posting a load of old clap trap or attempting to blame absolutely everything on him. Does anyone on here get stick for saying "I think he should go as results aren't good enough and I find the football boring", no they don't. Those getting stick don't stop there, he has to be a "fraud" or a "clown" or "worse than Taylor", or come out with blatantly false statements.

Not The Market Leader complains about people having a houlier than thou attitude... he's opening admitted to basically being a troll and posting stuff to wind people up on at least three separate occasions from memory... so yeah, if you're going to do that then expect some shit to come your way and for others to take the moral high ground.

• Like 4

On 13/02/2019 at 08:58, Ric Flair said:

I think it's time there was some.sort of acceptance of each side as it's clear Puel is doing some things that will benefit this club long term, its just it's likely to be carried out by another regime down the line. 

What amuses me is the Puel In brigade can be very abusive and irate towards the fans who want Puel out, dont take it so personal lads. Claude is a strong minded person and the years salary he'll be chuffed up in the summer will cushion the blow.

I hope we have a positive end to the season, these next 5-6 games on paper look like the sort of run we could put together and the feelgood factor about the place will return. We have been diabolical at home for a year now and the supporters of Puel can come up will all sorts of weird and wonderful reasons to ignore that but the fact is, if we dont turn this around before the end of the season then he is going and rightly so

Do you actually get stick despite not being a great fan of his? I suppose not and rightly so.

Why's that? Well, because your posts are balanced and argumented. There are other very good posters who also want or at least wouldn't mind seeing Puel go in the same case. You can see the logic behind their thoughts and are free to agree or disagree with them, which is fine because we don't have to have the same opinion about everything and it helps to put one's own personal view in perspective. Then you have the others and I'm sorry to say, they're either the majority or maybe simply the most active, where you're at loss trying to make heads or tails of their posts. All you can see is a strong personal dislike clumsily backed by a flawed logic, a skewed use of stats or facts, sometimes blatant lies and, above all, an unwillingness to give the man any credit. If they could put the global warming on his tab, they would. 

He's gone no matter what, I think. We'll see then how the outers will react to the new manager and how long it will take before they go for his throat.

Edited by That_Dude

10 minutes ago, That_Dude said:

Do you actually get stick despite not being a great fan of his? I suppose not and rightly so.

Why's that? Well, because your posts are balanced and argumented. There are other very good posters who also want or at least wouldn't mind seeing Puel go in the same case. You can see the logic behind their thoughts and are free to agree or disagree with them, which is fine because we don't have to have the same opinion about everything and it helps to put one's own personal view in perspective. Then you have the others and I'm sorry to say, they're either the majority or maybe simply the most active, where you're at loss trying to make heads or tails of their posts. All you can see is a strong personal dislike clumsily backed by a flawed logic, a skewed use of stats or facts, sometimes blatant lies and, above all, an unwillingness to give the man any credit. If they could put the global warming on his tab, they would. 

He's gone no matter what, I think. We'll see then how the outers will react to the new manager and how long it will take before they go for his throat.

Global warming is a bit far out there. I'd say its Puels fault knife crime is on the rise in the city because the youth are disenfrancised with watching the team and need an outlet.

:ph34r:

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

No, people get irate about people posting a load of old clap trap or attempting to blame absolutely everything on him. Does anyone on here get stick for saying "I think he should go as results aren't good enough and I find the football boring", no they don't. Those getting stick don't stop there, he has to be a "fraud" or a "clown" or "worse than Taylor", or come out with blatantly false statements.

Not The Market Leader complains about people having a houlier than thou attitude... he's opening admitted to basically being a troll and posting stuff to wind people up on at least three separate occasions from memory... so yeah, if you're going to do that then expect some shit to come your way and for others to take the moral high ground.

I've received a number of angry replies and even personal messages, I know I do deliberately try and provoke these wet fannies at times but there's definitely more emotion and anger amongst the fans that desperately want him to stay than those that want shot of him.

34 minutes ago, blue army 1988 said:

Wouldn't it be better to build a plan around a guy who we can possibly buy rather then just being on loan till the end of the season?

That presented City with an opportunity to bring the Belgium international to the King Power Stadium and Tielemans is relishing the challenge to prove he can be a hit in England.

“Yes, why not? We will see in the summer,” said Tielemans when asked if he was up for staying in England.

“I think for me now the most important thing is to keep on playing. I missed only a couple of games in the first part of the season, but I want to play and I am not a guy who will go to a big club and sit on the bench.

40 minutes ago, That_Dude said:

I have received some abuse but it's usually when I've been a bit facetious and I probably deserved it, but it highlights how passionate some fans are on what he is achieving here.

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

I've received a number of angry replies and even personal messages, I know I do deliberately try and provoke these wet fannies at times but there's definitely more emotion and anger amongst the fans that desperately want him to stay than those that want shot of him.

That's because you are prone to going over the top yourself... and that's from someone who loves you! :D

• Haha 1

Just now, Simoken said:

That presented City with an opportunity to bring the Belgium international to the King Power Stadium and Tielemans is relishing the challenge to prove he can be a hit in England.

“Yes, why not? We will see in the summer,” said Tielemans when asked if he was up for staying in England.

“I think for me now the most important thing is to keep on playing. I missed only a couple of games in the first part of the season, but I want to play and I am not a guy who will go to a big club and sit on the bench.

I was very encouraged by what he's said, I think we stand a chance but we may well be competing with some much bigger clubs. We simply have to show we want to build a team around him.

4 hours ago, deep blue said:

They got rid of their reserves and turned it into a B team. Everyone they sign for that team either has to be good enough to break into the first team or good enough to sell for a profit. Their owner is a fan of the “moneyball” stats approach 

17 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Requesting names of any poster who 'desperately' wants to keep Claude. On a related note, I think your posts often suffer from a tendency to include at least one gross exaggeration which, speaking for myself, reduces their impact. 

I would say personally any emotion/anger is not to do with the idea of Puel going, but aimed at the James Goddard types whose critique is limited to 'he's shit' but who seem to have no alternatives whatsoever in terms of either his decision making or his replacement.

13 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

Requesting names of any poster who 'desperately' wants to keep Claude. On a related note, I think your posts often suffer from a tendency to include at least one gross exaggeration which, speaking for myself, reduces their impact. 

I would say personally any emotion/anger is not to do with the idea of Puel going, but aimed at the James Goddard types whose critique is limited to 'he's shit' but who seem to have no alternatives whatsoever in terms of either his decision making or his replacement.

On this point, my view on it is that whilst I can understand (to an extent) the desire for Puel to go, the alternatives are totally underwhelming.

If we do really well and Puel can't take us any further, then we might be able to attract a higher tier of manager and it'd be worthwhile. On the other hand if we end up in a relegation battle (we won't) then what would otherwise be a 'sideways move' to a manager in the same tier as Puel might be realistic - although we'd probably end up with Allardyce.

As it stands, we're doing OK and have no real threat from below, so any move feels like it would be change for change's sake. Rodgers is the name most often mentioned, and he might well be an improvement. Then again, he might be a slight letdown, or just keep us ticking along at the same level. Other options in the same realistic tier of managers will have similar risk profiles, some more ambitious but riskier and others more steady. But if we make that sort of decision we have to weigh up the benefits of switching manager against the risks of disrupting what is clearly a critical transition phase for the club. I can't see any clear benefit to getting rid of Puel - particularly after some of the performances we've put in lately - so I fall on the 'Puel In' side of the fence.

Edited by Xen

The whole Puel situation reminds me of bloody brexit. A million ideas, a million discussions and still no clear way forward!

In defence of Puel we can say that he has a plan and is sticking to it. Some of his decisions are strange (Maddison substitutions, team selection in cups) and some tactical decisions look genius like at Man City for example. The players have made him look worse than he actually is because our finishing this season has been woeful at times. However my main problem with this all is that when Vardy comes out and says what he has and when Kaspers dad says his bit, its obvious he has lost the influential part of the dressing room.His players also dont seem fired up at the start of games and at times the tactics look poor and players look disorganised. 

I can see why Top is persisting on a long term strategy as what Claude wants wont happen over night. We have some great younger players at our disposal and the vultures will be out for them. If he can get the senior players onside and if the younger lads want to play for him and wont jump ship in the summer then it is worth persisting in his methods for another season as he does seem to be tweaking his tactics to be more offensive and is being brave by dropping some of the old guard like Wes.

Personally I think the horse has bolted on this one and its too late and we need to get a bigger name in to complete the project. Any decent manager will take one look at out squad and the ages and would want to look a hero if he gets that extra 10% out of them. Its a shame Claude wasnt trusted from the start but the poor bloke was doomed from the start after his Southampton reputation but we have to be realistic here and think can he get everyone onside. Martin O`Neil proved the doubters wrong back in the day when some wanted him out but Im not sure if Claude can do the same.