Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Summer Targets

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

What on earth happened to him last season? 

In fairness I think he got a bit of an injury but then appeared to struggle to get into the team. Probably as they say, still trying to adapt to the pace of our game ?. Just goes to show that just because you've been on Barcelona's books doesn't mean you're going to be a success in the Premiership, though perhaps a better chance than if you come from Portugal! (Ricardo excepted).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Sounds a bit like that other flop they wanted a profit on that many on here wanted to sign, Gerry Mina. 

I'm surprised he's fared so badly at Everton tbh, looked great at the world cup and looked to have all the attributes required to thrive in the EPL.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

I'm surprised he's fared so badly at Everton tbh, looked great at the world cup and looked to have all the attributes required to thrive in the EPL.

I think people think he had a great world cup because he scored two late goals.

But when it came to defending, Sanchez was far better and held the Colombian defense together

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spicer said:

I think people think he had a great world cup because he scored two late goals.

But when it came to defending, Sanchez was far better and held the Colombian defense together

Agree Sanchez looked better but Mina looked pretty impressive also, looked to have everything required to be a success in the EPL, tall, commanding, quick across the ground, threat in both boxes.  Still young and plenty to work with there I guess.  Maybe taking time to adjust to European football still, being a Barcelona player was a bit of a misnomer as they only signed him in the January from Palmeiras and he hardly played then was shipped off to Everton in the summer that followed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, henrik_62 said:

There's a lot of clubs get caught out by using a one off competition like the World Cup as a yardstick. It's not really representative of the overall week in week out higher standard of club football, with the odd exception of a team like France for example. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

There's a lot of clubs get caught out by using a one off competition like the World Cup as a yardstick. It's not really representative of the overall week in week out higher standard of club football, with the odd exception of a team like France for example. 

Yeah there's been a ton of players over the years bought on a whim off a good summer tournament, Diouf, Poborsky and countless others.  Mina may well end up being another but putting that to the side he looks a player well suited to the EPL.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Yeah there's been a ton of players over the years bought on a whim off a good summer tournament, Diouf, Poborsky and countless others.  Mina may well end up being another but putting that to the side he looks a player well suited to the EPL.

I agree and think a number of players, including our own, need up to a season to adapt. I always remember Drogba being really poor for most of his first season with Chelsea but he then became a devistating player. Marhez took time as did Ronaldo but there are some like Silva who you just look at and think no chance. A decent player, but in a different arena of football. 

10 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Kaputska.....

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Kaputska.....

lol I actually remember being mildly disappointed you guys signed him as thought he looked great at that tournament and we were after him too according to some reports!

Very much a bullet dodged with the benefit of hindsight and no we don't want to take him off your hands now lol!

4 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

We were linked with him in the January before the World Cup but he ended up signing for Barcelona for £9m. He had a mare at Barcelona but a great World Cup and Everton bought him for £25m or £30m.

It must be great making bad buys but still sell them on for a big profit, the Barcelona tax. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

We were linked with him in the January before the World Cup but he ended up signing for Barcelona for £9m. He had a mare at Barcelona but a great World Cup and Everton bought him for £25m or £30m.

It must be great making bad buys but still sell them on for a big profit, the Barcelona tax. 

Seems a lot of the big clubs are able to do that these days, selling on average players who have never really kicked a ball for them for £20-30m.  Probably the fact that these clubs snare every decent youth player under the sun nowadays also.

It would be good to go back to a rule whereby youth players can't sign for clubs outwith a certain radius or at the very least have to stay with the one club for a fixed duration of their first professional contract or something like that.  Within reason of course, until say the age of 18, you wouldn't want clubs giving youth players ridiculously long unbreakable contracts to protect their own interests either.

9 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

In fairness I think he got a bit of an injury but then appeared to struggle to get into the team. Probably as they say, still trying to adapt to the pace of our game ?. Just goes to show that just because you've been on Barcelona's books doesn't mean you're going to be a success in the Premiership, though perhaps a better chance than if you come from Portugal! (Ricardo excepted).

not the best goalkeeper weve had ?

Edited by bfox
  • Haha 2

We've usually made a signing by now in recent seasons, very little action right now but probably no real rush. The priority is resolving Tielemans and can see why that would hold up other incomings, I wonder at what point we look elsewhere.

5 minutes ago, SamDZ said:

Mentioned this lad 4 years ago ..He turned out to be good investment for Brentfordimage.thumb.png.b7fd19be2f574a6dda7746dfbd76df97.png

One of my mates is a Brentford fan and he really rates him, but on the other hand he is a bit of a twat.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

We've usually made a signing by now in recent seasons, very little action right now but probably no real rush. The priority is resolving Tielemans and can see why that would hold up other incomings, I wonder at what point we look elsewhere.

I think they need to make some room in the wage department tbh.

23 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

I think they need to make some room in the wage department tbh.

Iborra, Okazaki, Simpson, Benalouane all gone in the last season. Highly doubt binning further fringe players are holding up signing players, if it is then expect a slow and boring summer as they tend to go right at the last minute and we are adamant we aren't selling anyone we want to keep. Also goes against the likes of Alan Nixon who claims we are spending big.

• Like 1