Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

@VIKTOR-LE5

What I meant here is Evans IS a better defender than Harry, but that Harry offers something Evans does not, specifically his ability to step out of defence and make more telling contributions to attack/passing than Evans can

Love them both mind :scarf:

Mags contributes more to our attack, but less to our defence - does that result in an overall more net positive contribution than Evans? I'm not so sure...

1 minute ago, whoareyaaa said:

What If the difference was finishing above Man United by keeping hold of Maguire then the whole fan base would agree not to sell... unlikely this would be the case but the money should not really be a concern considering the profits after bringing in a replacement would be minimal, if that's what we intend to do, if we don't then we are walking on thin ice as Morgan is ageing, Evans could easily obtain a injury and Sonyu and Benko have literally no experience to there name

And I agree to an extent - but I'm not arguing on behalf of the fanbase, I am arguing that £53.5m is a lot of money, that is what the club will have weighed up, and trying to not factor in who the club might or might not buy. And the difference you hypothesise, attractive though it sounds, is actually a short-term carrot. I suspect the club is looking rather further down the road, and thinking 'how best can we invest that profit to further improve our prospects?'

Short term, I don't want to lose Maguire - however, I am trying to imagine how the club hierarchy might view his possible sale.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brucey said:

Mags contributes more to our attack, but less to our defence - does that result in an overall more net positive contribution than Evans? I'm not so sure...

Depends how culpable Maguire is for defensive lapses compared to Evans, and how responsible Magurie is for initiating attacking moves compared to Evans.

Easy this football analytics game...........

8 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

And I agree to an extent - but I'm not arguing on behalf of the fanbase, I am arguing that £53.5m is a lot of money, that is what the club will have weighed up, and trying to not factor in who the club might or might not buy. And the difference you hypothesise, attractive though it sounds, is actually a short-term carrot. I suspect the club is looking rather further down the road, and thinking 'how best can we invest that profit to further improve our prospects?'

Short term, I don't want to lose Maguire - however, I am trying to imagine how the club hierarchy might view his possible sale.

Would you say his value would go down come this time next season, if say he had another solid season with us and a good Euros? 

1 minute ago, whoareyaaa said:

Would you say his value would go down come this time next season, if say he had another solid season with us and a good Euros? 

I simply don't know, but again, it's not the case I'm making. I am surprised (and perhaps I shouldn't be) that people seem to find it hard to take something at face value - there has to be context, I realise, but I'm trying to avoid as many 'ifs' as possible, and discuss the here and now - and in terms of maximising the unwanted sale of Maguire, I imagine that's what the club are doing. They will know better than I do what the pros and cons of this are. The only really strong opinion I have is that I don't want an unhappy player at the club - the alleged misconduct of Slimani points to the sort of disruption it can sow, and although it seems apparent that Maguire is a really good character, it still seems better management to turn a huge profit on him before he (potentially) gets pissed off and his performances take a turn for the worse.

2 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I simply don't know, but again, it's not the case I'm making. I am surprised (and perhaps I shouldn't be) that people seem to find it hard to take something at face value - there has to be context, I realise, but I'm trying to avoid as many 'ifs' as possible, and discuss the here and now - and in terms of maximising the unwanted sale of Maguire, I imagine that's what the club are doing. They will know better than I do what the pros and cons of this are. The only really strong opinion I have is that I don't want an unhappy player at the club - the alleged misconduct of Slimani points to the sort of disruption it can sow, and although it seems apparent that Maguire is a really good character, it still seems better management to turn a huge profit on him before he (potentially) gets pissed off and his performances take a turn for the worse.

With the euros at the end of the season he can’t afford to drop his levels .......

15 minutes ago, Fox85 said:

If we sell Maguire. Silva.mendy. gazzelle. Silimani. Loan out demari gray and also loan iheanacho and bring in a good winger and a decent forward this would be the best transfer window ever

Better if we kept Maguire in my opinion. Hoping Soyuncu turns out to be the perfect Maguire substitute. He's carried the ball forward at times and looked fairly comfortable alongside Evan's if you discount the odd mistake here and there.

He's young and him and Benkovic will hopefully prove to be astute signings. 

Maguire has his faults too. I'm still waiting for this to be officially announced before fully believing it's happened as there has been so many premature reports over the last few weeks, but if he's gone I'm hoping we can afford to invest the money in areas other than a replacement CB. For me I'd prefer we look to buy that winger and the cover for Tielemans and Maddison as I think we'll  look weaker if one of those is injured (even with Perez in the team) and it'll hopefully encourage positive performances with a bit of healthy competition for places just behind Vardy. 

And that thread has now turned to United fans belittling us about how deluded we are.

Always great to shit on others when your house is in order, but their house is on fire, the arrogance from some is unreal.

You sit on this forum and wonder what goes through some posters heads, but we all look intellectual compared to those buggers 

1 minute ago, Swan Lesta said:

If Benkovic and Soyunco are not ready we have to find a starter for our £50 million profit. Which will likely cost circa £50 million.

Hmm.

That's what I'm worried about; but they both need game time to develop, which would decrease if we buy another starter. 

6 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

fair enough its not an easy situation to judge, I'm sure the club will do the right thing. (keep him) :P 

1 minute ago, Swan Lesta said:

If Benkovic and Soyunco are not ready we have to find a starter for our £50 million profit. Which will likely cost circa £50 million.

Hmm.

True. And if they are ready, then...........happy days. 

I'm not denying the issue a number of people have raised. I'm saying that £50m profit is a LOT OF MONEY :) 

2 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

And that thread has now turned to United fans belittling us about how deluded we are.

Always great to shit on others when your house is in order, but their house is on fire, the arrogance from some is unreal.

You sit on this forum and wonder what goes through some posters heads, but we all look intellectual compared to those buggers 

Oh no... hate being called irrelevant by a bunch of plastic tossers. 

8 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Hmm.

And we'd be buying a player that wants to play for the club whereas Maguire wants out

35 minutes ago, MrSpaM said:

BBC are reporting he's gone

Are they? Or are they re posting other people's stories in the transfer gossip section? 

On our page on the BBC there's nothing since an article titled " Maguire valuation not met - Rodgers", 5 days ago.

This is how shit spreads. 

Is Benkovic back in training yet or is he still on holiday like our other 4 young international players? Never really seen him play with only a few snippets in a Celtic shirt, I would have thought Rodgers would want him as Maguires replacement if he does go...

9 minutes ago, foxfan92 said:

Better if we kept Maguire in my opinion. Hoping Soyuncu turns out to be the perfect Maguire substitute. He's carried the ball forward at times and looked fairly comfortable alongside Evan's if you discount the odd mistake here and there.

He's young and him and Benkovic will hopefully prove to be astute signings. 

Maguire has his faults too. I'm still waiting for this to be officially announced before fully believing it's happened as there has been so many premature reports over the last few weeks, but if he's gone I'm hoping we can afford to invest the money in areas other than a replacement CB. For me I'd prefer we look to buy that winger and the cover for Tielemans and Maddison as I think we'll  look weaker if one of those is injured (even with Perez in the team) and it'll hopefully encourage positive performances with a bit of healthy competition for places just behind Vardy. 

Trust me I know what your saying but at this moment in time as a club looking to move forward sometimes we need to sell to improve.

If we sell Maguire we have already improved with Tielemans, justin, perez,

They all look to be fantastic players.

If it meant that we had to sell Maguire to bring in a good forward and a good winger I'm all for it.

However if we have no money left and it just meant Maguire staying with no other incoming then I'd prefer to sell for the benefit of the club to better ourselves and put us in a better position to challenge top 6

I personally feel we need to sell now as his head is turned. What’s the point in keeping a player that is at least interested in a move, especially to a club in free-fall like Man United. Let’s give Soyuncu a go, he will make mistakes but he’s got Wes and Jonny to learn from and Benkovic is a solid option moving forward. I also have a feeling Fuchs may be deployed as a CB if we have injuries too.